Author Topic: What is the best finnesse jigging panfish rod  (Read 6283 times)

Offline PsychologicalPerch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Catch and Release (Feel better and less fat)
What is the best finnesse jigging panfish rod
« on: Aug 08, 2011, 04:17 AM »
This year i am upgrading my rods and i want a really nice finnesse jiging rod for panfish that will work great with the smallest of jigs. i dont know what to get?
Fishing is a sport in which thinking is involved it is the covenant between nature and man, mother and son. Through fishing only can we recreate the link that has been tarnished throughout the existence of the modern era of mankind. Fishing is the answer yet people ignore it and consider it a "stupid" thing to do. What do these people do instead? They stare in front of color changing boxes. Is that life? My life is fishin

surflizard

Re: What is the best finnesse jigging panfish rod
« Reply #1 on: Aug 08, 2011, 08:22 AM »
I tried to find the St Croix Premier UL rods locally, but no one could get them here after January. I picked up a Okuma panfish lite UL, it is a fantastic little panny rod !  :icefish:

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #2 on: Aug 08, 2011, 12:48 PM »
  I have a lot of different rods for pan fish, the ones I use most are HT ICE BLUE 24" lite w/1.5 mono, I get great action from. Then I use a RED WOLF 28" lite w/4lb mono when I know that there might be lakers in the area. :icefish:

Offline FelixD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • R.I.P. Janurary 16, 2015
« Reply #3 on: Aug 08, 2011, 01:01 PM »
Frabil pan fish poppers is what i have been using lately. reasonable priced
Politicians and diapers need to be changed for the same reason

Offline PsychologicalPerch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Catch and Release (Feel better and less fat)
« Reply #4 on: Aug 08, 2011, 01:07 PM »
is a thorne bros panfish sweet heart rod a good choice out of there rod collection?
Fishing is a sport in which thinking is involved it is the covenant between nature and man, mother and son. Through fishing only can we recreate the link that has been tarnished throughout the existence of the modern era of mankind. Fishing is the answer yet people ignore it and consider it a "stupid" thing to do. What do these people do instead? They stare in front of color changing boxes. Is that life? My life is fishin

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #5 on: Aug 08, 2011, 01:13 PM »
St. Croix Premiers and and Frabill Pro Ultra-ice LT...(Ultra-ice are about impossible to find anymore...I don't know why)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Aug 08, 2011, 01:17 PM »
I would recomend a custom light action gaffight rod. Just another thought is, the past few years, I have switched over to using ALL tungstin. You can greatly downsize as it is twice as heavy as lead. IMO, it's all in the fisherman and the jig (when panny fishin) not hardly the rod n reel.

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #7 on: Aug 08, 2011, 07:12 PM »
st.criox premier....love mine

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Aug 16, 2011, 09:54 AM »
St. Croix Legend UL with a modified handle.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #9 on: Aug 16, 2011, 10:22 AM »
i like my st croix premiers but gonna try a thorne bros 24 inch light action with the st croix spring bobber this year.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #10 on: Aug 16, 2011, 10:48 AM »
I like this one:

27" Shakespeare Cajun Ice Rod (called Fuel Ice Rod now). All fiberglass rod...ultra-sensitive tip with plenty of backbone. Have had no problems with reel either. Combo price around $20
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline slammin slabs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Aug 16, 2011, 02:33 PM »
I scored a couple frabill ultra lights at scheels last year for $8 a piece and I wish I would have bought them all they rock
I don't have a problem I have an obsession😏

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Watch my rod while i pee...
« Reply #12 on: Aug 16, 2011, 07:38 PM »
I like this one:

(Image removed from quote.)

27" Shakespeare Cajun Ice Rod (called Fuel Ice Rod now). All fiberglass rod...ultra-sensitive tip with plenty of backbone. Have had no problems with reel either. Combo price around $20

i got the ol cajun ice too! i got mine from the local fleet farm and im thinkin it was either 17.99 or 19.99 and your right,i havent had any probs with it either,great little combo

Offline jiggalo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Another great day to be alive!
« Reply #13 on: Aug 17, 2011, 09:21 AM »
is a thorne bros panfish sweet heart rod a good choice out of there rod collection?
Thorne Bros. rods are awesome and they have GREAT customer service!  I own 6-8 of these rods and IMO they are the best...some may think they are pricey but there is no comparison in quality....it all comes down to what you want to spend because  there are a lot of great rods made these days
Every day is a good day it's just some days are better than others

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
« Reply #14 on: Aug 19, 2011, 11:05 AM »
Thorne Bros. rods are awesome and they have GREAT customer service!  I own 6-8 of these rods and IMO they are the best...some may think they are pricey but there is no comparison in quality....it all comes down to what you want to spend because  there are a lot of great rods made these days

X 2    depends on how much you want to spend....they are a great product

Offline RussianBear

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Aug 23, 2011, 09:34 PM »
I get ultra light 18in for like $10, cut the tip and add a spring indicator. Killer panfish rod, see the lightest bites.
$10 rod, $5 reel, $2 spring strike indicator.

Offline dylan8351

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Its got some weight to it!
« Reply #16 on: Aug 24, 2011, 08:45 PM »
Check out Austin Custom Rods. They are reasonable priced and well-built to whatever specifications you want. I had mine set up with St. Croix spring bobber assemblies. Well worth the price!
I'll keep my guns, freedom, and money. You can keep "The Change"

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Aug 26, 2011, 09:59 PM »
Always enjoyed my St. Croix's premier for crappie.  The HT blues are also decent for the price and seem to hold up...I paid $8 for mine 14 years ago and still have it.

Offline Big Red Shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Oct 02, 2011, 08:55 AM »
I really like the Frabill Panfish Popper Light.  I have tried the UL and L, but personally I thought that the UL was just too much like a spaghetti noodle.  I have two L's with the SB and 2 without so I can jig with everything ;D

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #19 on: Oct 02, 2011, 09:09 AM »
I use many different panfish rods, Thorne Bros, sweetheart, or the nooodle rod, Jason Micthell meatsticks, the St Croix Legend with the spring bobber tips.. marmish rods are also good

surflizard

« Reply #20 on: Oct 02, 2011, 09:28 AM »
Waiting on a Custom built UL w/ fly reel seat and St Croix spring from T7 Custom Rods. I'm looking forward to using my Bentley Tungsten Micro Jigs on it to Antagonize my Local Bluegill and Crappie populations !!  :thumbsup: :icefish:

Offline Voltaire

• No view profile
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Some call me the Pannie Dropper
« Reply #21 on: Oct 02, 2011, 10:04 AM »
I'll echo what others have said. Thorne Bros or Austin Customs are the best but pricey. Jason Mitchell and St. Croix are reasonably priced but still great rods. I will not ever buy any other rod except from these four makers unless I take the jump and try out a marmish.
"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope."
-John Buchan

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
« Reply #22 on: Oct 02, 2011, 11:36 AM »

23" Homemade Combo-$14.99 (Reel) into it so far althou I am putting a StCroix  Spring Bobber on it- may cost me a whopping $20 when complete! To answer the question, "Re: What is the best finesse jigging panfish rod ?",
The one ya put the fish on the ice with and are comfortable using!

Offline Voltaire

• No view profile
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Some call me the Pannie Dropper
« Reply #23 on: Oct 02, 2011, 08:03 PM »
(Image removed from quote.) (Image removed from quote.)
 23" Homemade Combo-$14.99 (Reel) into it so far althou I am putting a StCroix  Spring Bobber on it- may cost me a whopping $20 when complete! To answer the question, "Re: What is the best finesse jigging panfish rod ?",
The one ya put the fish on the ice with and are comfortable using!

Nice. What made you go with the fly reel? Line memory/twisting? I don't have an issue with that myself so I'm wondering if there are any other advantages to a fly reel.
"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope."
-John Buchan

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.