Author Topic: High Vis Line and Catch Rates  (Read 2903 times)

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
High Vis Line and Catch Rates
« on: Dec 09, 2010, 06:13 PM »
My eyesight has declined enough in the last year to force me to either get glasses or start using more visible line. Sooooo....

What kind of his vis line do you guys think is least offensive to the fish? I see red, blue, and yellow out there on the shelves for sale. I have been using clear line for years, but I just cant see the stuff anymore!!

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Re: High Vis Line and Catch Rates
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2010, 06:20 PM »
i tried cajun red and hated it, not the color but the line quality, I tried Clam high vis and hated it, not the color but the quality. This year I bought the blue norhtland line, it feels great but I have not had it on the ice yet.

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2010, 06:32 PM »
Get some glasses! If you can't see your line, there's other things you can't see too!

If you're gonna go the high vis route, try Berkley Transition Fluoro.

They told you that if you didn't stop you were gonna "Go blind"!!!
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2010, 06:39 PM »
I have used wally marshall crappie line in super vis. Doesn't seem to scare the fish and works well in the shack.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2010, 06:49 PM »
I think if I ever went back to a high visibility line I'd go with what ever comes in a low stretch version and add on about a ten foot leader of ultra-clear.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2010, 07:02 PM »
I have Stern yellow braid I think 4 pound I think I am not going out there to look, I put a small swivel two or three pound test .This rig is for gills mostly. My leader is a foot eighteen inches I can see the line move side to side and go slack easer.JMO

Live to fish forced to work

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2010, 07:25 PM »
I have been a tight liner my whole life so I have only ever fished with HI VIS type lines (started with Stren HI VIs yellow, now power pro yellow and suffix orange) and I have never had problems catching fish. run a floro leader and u are GTG.

J-

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2010, 07:32 PM »
Get some glasses! If you can't see your line, there's other things you can't see too!

If you're gonna go the high vis route, try Berkley Transition Fluoro.

They told you that if you didn't stop you were gonna "Go blind"!!!

Is that transition fluro a bear in the cold? The berkley vanish fluro is absolutely unusable in the cold. It is like weed wacker string!

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2010, 09:03 PM »
One thing I did not mention is I have rigged alot of my reels with Stren brain in the orange, then use a mono/floro leader, may help with the visibilty above the ice if that is the issue you have

Offline snuffcan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2010, 09:12 PM »
Used Suffix ice in hi-vis orange last saeson. Worked well,good supple line. I did use P-line leader material f.c. at times , but I caught plenty of fish without leader too. I don't know if panfish are"line-shy", likes steelies for ex.? I tend to doubt it. Maybe I'll do some studies this season??

Offline bassbull

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2010, 09:16 PM »
Say Skipper get some 2lbs. yellow Stren and 2lbs. flor..Tie the two togather with a uni not and you are good to go.Doesn't get any better than this combo. You will have the best of both worlds!!!!!!! Have used this set up for years for gills and crappies with no problems. Bass Bull

Offline tla100

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2010, 09:45 PM »
I pickuped the new Northland Nionic Ice in blue. Not terribly high vis but better than my other clear mono and fireline crystal. I really like it, great feel, low memory. Timmy

Offline berg285

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2010, 10:16 PM »
i have the suffix ice braid in blue on a few rods and i really like it, no real issues with ice building up and i really like that there is no stretch, plus it is way thinner compared to mono... I have the new powerpro on some rods to and seems to works just as well and i think they have that in yellow also.. Its a little pricey at 12.99 100 yards or 9.99 for 50 yards

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Dec 09, 2010, 10:20 PM »
I cant do braid through the ice, I hate it!!

Offline tla100

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 09, 2010, 10:25 PM »
Agreed Skipper, not a huge fan of the braid on the ice, unless in a heated shack. Worthless when 5 degrees outside hole hopping.

I meant to say Northland Bionic Ice, it is mono.

Offline berg285

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 09, 2010, 10:28 PM »
i like the northland line to thats the only mono i have on this year, i was surprised by how little memory there is.. I thought it would be like the icearmor line just a birds nest

Offline MEMAGGIENCOMET

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 09, 2010, 10:30 PM »
I have used Stren ice hi vis gold and it is pretty good line. I have only used it in 2# though.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #17 on: Dec 10, 2010, 01:19 AM »
Standard ASSO Ice Fishing Line.  It's an ice blue...or sky blue or whatever you call it.  The fish don't shy from it at all.  ;D
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline pimplejigger84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 10, 2010, 10:42 AM »
I have used Stren ice hi vis gold and it is pretty good line. I have only used it in 2# though.

Same here, me and all my ice buddies/co-workers switched over to that last year, but I think we've all only used it in the 2#.  It's great, my buddy caught a 6# plus Laker on it, several pike, largemouths and smallies over 2 or 3 pounds and plenty of nice panfish.  I too have seen this stuff in action and have landed many bass and a pickeral and I cant remember breaking any off.  I did spool up with some 4# on a rod and 6# on a stiff jigging rod for spoons this year...I hope it excels like the 2 did.  Good luck!

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #19 on: Dec 10, 2010, 11:21 AM »
Standard ASSO Ice Fishing Line

I did not include Asso, although it is blue I find it pretty low vis (not complaining, i love the stuff)

Offline fishermanna82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 14, 2010, 08:11 PM »
go with the red

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.