Author Topic: what kind of rods?  (Read 4701 times)

Offline hauge299

• IceShanty Rookie
what kind of rods?
« on: Dec 13, 2009, 11:54 AM »
hey guys,

just wondering what kind of ice rods you use or like, looking into getting a new rod soon.

thanks

Offline JimmyJr

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: what kind of rods?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2009, 04:05 PM »
hey guys,

just wondering what kind of ice rods you use or like, looking into getting a new rod soon.

thanks

It really depends on what you are fishing for.  My wife bought me a Thorne Bros. Quiverstick and I absolutley love it for panfish.  It is a little pricey, but I figure that this is going to be the rod that I pass down to my children (when we have some).  My wife uses an inexpensive Frabill and absolutely slays 'em with it.

If you are fishing for panfish you are going to want something sensitve. 

The greatest pleasure in life is doing those things which people say you can not do.

Offline hauge299

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2009, 04:14 PM »
ok, ya i was looking for perch or walleye rod, sorry i didnt specify what species.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2009, 06:14 PM »
I really like the Jason Mitchell rods, they have a noce walleye rod and the meatstick is great for perch, gills and crappie (about $35 a rod)

I did make my first Thorne Bros rod purchase this season but dont have the rod in hand so I cant tell you my thoughts (about $60 a rod)

Offline Yopy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2009, 08:48 PM »
just got a st croix legend with a tica cetus reel, havent tried it yet but have only heard positive feed back on em!

Offline MookieB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2009, 11:02 PM »
I just got 2 ugly stiks, they are alright but I was a little dissapointed in them. I honestly think the ones I have made out of broken rods are more sensitive and have a better backbone to them. I fish for trout and Lakers and I like a little longer pole around 34 inches. I have made 4 poles from medium type casters, they have all been broken in the middle and I cut the pole 6 inches above the handle and take the top part and shove it into the handle and epoxy it in and these have been the best poles in my opinion. They just have a nice feel to them, I might have gotten really lucky but I think it's really easy to make poles like this, and one of them is going on 3 seasons. Tight lines and hard ice. Mooks

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2009, 06:05 AM »
Ugly Stick Lite's are fairly durable and can take a lot of abuse on the hardwater.  A cork twist lock reel handle as opposed to the foam tennessee handles of the standard Ugly Sticks.  Sensitivity is closer to the dull side, but no problems when the fish are aggressive.  These rods will work a jig as well as any of rods out there.  The UL light model is a good all around performer and has a good rod bend to it.  The others are okay, nothing to toot about.  These rods are bucket rods for me.

St.Croix Premiere rods are decent and excellent in value.  Have a feather like feel and balance with pretty high sensitivity in both rod tip action and rod feedback.  Excellent rod choices for finesse presentation and techniques.  The thin blanks can break easy for the UL models.  The ML rod is very versatile, all around rod.  The M power rod is quite stiff and I would say it's closer to a MH power rod.

Thorne Bros. custom rods are the premium rods and comes with the price.  I have several: Panfish, Perch, Walleye, and Walleye deadstick.  Each rod blanks are unique with proper bend curves under load.  They set the line guides on the rod's spine so there's no ill effects of rod twist on you.  I would recommend the outside versions of the Panfish or Perch rods because they come with the better line guides, Fuji Alconites.  They look a little goofy without a regular tip guide but the performance is top grade.  I have my Walleye rods customed as baitcasting set up.  It works so well, I wished that I had the mulah to get all of my rods as baitcasting set ups.

Jason Mitchell rods are a good quality rods, upgrades from your standard retail rods.  Overall they have a slight heavier feel compared to the St.Croix Premiere rods, but they have a more durable cork handle on them.  Rods also have good overall bend curves under load, especailly for walleye fishing.

Frabill Bro's rods are similar to Jason Mitchell rods, but have a smooth sanded rod blanks.  Both rods are very close in overall rod sensitity and performance but, I give the slight edge to the Bro's rods.  The Bro's 27" Quicktip rod has a slightly smoother load transition compared to the same Jason Mitchell Meatstick rod.

Frabill's Panfish Popper rods have a nice soft blank and comes with a spring bobber.

HT ice blues are even more noodly compared to the Panfish Popper rods.

Lot's of choices out there.

For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2009, 06:08 AM »
Basically St. Croix,but have many others that work.

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2009, 06:51 AM »
I have a very mixed bag, frabill, ht, south bend and about 4 of those cheap rods that my parents/neighbors gave me as a kid. Nothing special but they do catch fish. I'd like to get a st.croix legend rod but I don't seeing them catch fish anybetter than what I have.

Offline JDN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JHM
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2009, 06:55 AM »
J Higleys rods not bad rod for the money and if you break it you won't cry.

Offline wyo26

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 14, 2009, 10:01 PM »
I have a St. Croix legend i love it

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 15, 2009, 08:51 AM »
Anyone use Cabela's XML ice series? I believe they only offer a combo nowadays; a few years back they had a wider selection of actions. Tiny hardloy guides (indoor rod for the most part) on a Loomis-like blank. Highly recommended if ya can find one. Shown w/ TB Perch Sweetheart above...

Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 15, 2009, 10:05 AM »
I have a 19" Cabelas XML that I modified a little, overall they are decent rods. The Frabill Bro 27" Quick Tip is a must have in my book, very versitle rod, with good quality and at a decent price.

Offline btechvft70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 15, 2009, 01:49 PM »
IMO there are all kind of different rods out there you just have to take the way you like to fish, inside or outside,species, type of jig, and put them all together with what feels right for you.
Dave

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 15, 2009, 08:35 PM »
Slippery Bob you really broke it down well. What is good for one person may not match what is good for another. I love my TB's but the guy fishing beside me loves his JMs, or Frabills. The best thing a person can do if possible is feel the rod, decide what he is going to use if for and decide based on his own thoughts.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #15 on: Dec 15, 2009, 10:02 PM »
lotwfisher thanks,

Used a lot of rods to figure out what works for me.  Some of the rods, I really like are discontinued ones.  Furthermore, I really like a baitcasting rod setup for ice fishing, but good baitcasting reels are way more expensive compared to the standard open face spinning reel that can get the job done.  For me, it's always been a trade off, of don't do the expensive weekend trip and use that money towards gear.  That's the way I justify for me.  ;D
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 16, 2009, 01:38 PM »
I have a couple of Jason Mitchell's (perch and panfish models) I have a 18in light fabril for sight fishing and a shaksprere razor tip that is decent.

That said I have made some of my own rods using broken rod tips and blanks. I get the stuff from jans nett craft.

J-

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Dec 16, 2009, 06:32 PM »
Yad ::)
IRG 24
IRC 24
IR 26
IR30

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 17, 2009, 09:08 AM »
Yad ::)
IRG 24
IRC 24
IR 26
IR30

RG

The YAD rods look promising; saw a few on EBAY for cheap money-- any reviews of this brand?
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.