Author Topic: Jigging technique?  (Read 4664 times)

Offline hrlevi1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Jigging technique?
« on: Jan 21, 2009, 09:54 PM »
Hey guys - one question for you... what is your favorite jigging technique / sequence?  I know we all have different cadences for the fish we are targeting however I find that even when fishing for the same species (walleye for instance) many folks jig completely differently, each with varying degrees of success...

Lets hear what you do that you would call jigging...

David

Offline mrlongbeard1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flags up and rods bent...
Re: Jigging technique?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2009, 07:54 AM »
What ever it takes to get the fish to bite that day.
When the ice is on. I'm on the ice.

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2009, 09:58 AM »
Hey guys - one question for you... what is your favorite jigging technique / sequence?  I know we all have different cadences for the fish we are targeting however I find that even when fishing for the same species (walleye for instance) many folks jig completely differently, each with varying degrees of success...

Lets hear what you do that you would call jigging...

David

i like to tie on a hali jig then tip it with a mousie grub. then i let it fall in the hole till it hite bottom. i give 2 cranks up and just lightly nudge the tip of my rod. i usually do this in an entire colum. it never last though because i usually get bite before i can try to real up a couple of cranks.
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2009, 01:55 PM »
for me,I tend to try a few differant methods until I find what they are attracted to best and take it from there,I most always start right off the bottom and work my way up until fish are located,unless you have a flasher or what not,then you know where the fish are and only need to find what bait will work best.

Offline bigfoot697

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2009, 04:50 PM »
sometimes you have to jig, at times leave it dead still, sometimes swim the bait from side to side. in deep water for perch i like to have the sinker hit the bottom a few times, stiring the mud and silt up. i think it makes the fish think that the school is feeding triggering the bite. the fish will let you know what they want. ive caught them just jiggling the rod making the jig quiver. tight lines.

Offline hrlevi1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Jigging technique? (Walleye)
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2009, 09:48 AM »
How high do you jig?  I sometimes only shake the jig a matter of a couple of inches and others I jig rather high (a couple of feet or more).  When fishing for walleye do you jig in a cadence or random?  Please advise.

David

Offline fiesty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2009, 07:11 PM »
What ever it takes to get the fish to bite that day.
ditto....
It's all about Karma.....

Offline Bsens07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2009, 03:36 AM »
using a spring bobber I'm too shaky.  I have found I start at the bottom and crank up 2 cranks, then rest my rod on my leg.  I let it sit for a few minutes, then rock my foot from heel to tip toes and back to jig, seems to work pretty well so far this year.  I have probably caught 10x the fish in years past.

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2009, 03:42 AM »
I like to jig the heck out of it until one shows up on the vex. then let set. you see it sit there watching then if it don't bite just bump it once.
Gator Nation

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2009, 10:57 PM »
i don't have a camera or vex so i'm working with feel and feel alone, i twitch it once or twice after each nibble, if i don't get a bite for a while i hop it just off the bottom every five seconds or so

Offline fish4kitty

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Frabill Trekker 2
« Reply #10 on: Feb 16, 2009, 07:56 PM »
I do what I call the shimmy. When I get them in close checkin' it out I make it tremble like it's cold. Make it just shiver. They can't resist. Walleyes gills specks you name it. It works.
Having a crappie day and loving it!

Offline FishinFoool

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2009, 02:01 PM »
i HAVE A FEW WAYS OF JIGGING      ........CALLING>   very agressive shake and drop   til I see fish show
                                                 .........Triggering> when fish are looking at bait lift UP and jig /will put fish in biteing position

"The FishinFoool" :tipup:
steve plum can't stop fishin!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #12 on: Mar 19, 2009, 11:39 AM »
I find that you can almost tell what kind of mood the fish are in within the first hour. I jig aggressively to get them on the screen, then you have figure out what mood there in from there! I do all my jigging tech's and lure changing quickly in the am, so as not to waste too much of the day!
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #13 on: Oct 19, 2009, 08:30 PM »
Mostly depends on my lure.  If it's something like a Bro bloodworm, then slight up and down jigging.  If I've got a pheobe, then it's a huge lift and free fall.  Doodle bug spoon, just go crazy.  Standard round head jigs, then quiver or shake them.  If I'm using a tube or mimic minnow big lift, then jig with a dying effect of slowly swimming it down and repeat.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline fishermanna82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 14, 2010, 02:22 PM »
i use a buckshot and bounce it of the bottem

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.