New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: CHAUTAUQUA LAKE BS 2011  (Read 17412 times)

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live to fish not fishin to live!!!
Re: CHAUTAUQUA LAKE BS 2011
« Reply #30 on: Jan 17, 2011, 04:08 PM »
Any one been to the Lakewood Bar yet.  PM me with details if need be.

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Jan 18, 2011, 06:52 PM »
Got the warm spell we needed. Now turn the freezer high and we will be good till the closer.

Offline AmberjackIV

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 18, 2011, 08:46 PM »
Was out on the lake a few weeks back at Pendergast and caught quite a few perch. Saw one quad out but ice was ~5" and slush and snow quite heavy. Was thinking about taking my son this weekend and wanted to bring the quad. Can anyone tell me if chains are a must as I currently do not own. Also, is anyone seeing quads off of pendergast. Hoping the warm weather today and cold the rest of the week helps with the slush and snow.

Offline nateG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • institutionalized
« Reply #33 on: Jan 19, 2011, 08:11 AM »
I hear that there are quads going out. I have also heard they're getting stuck in the slush. I have chains on mine but only have 2WD. I'm taking it out this weekend hoping the the conditions are better  ::) Looks like the next few nights are going to be single digits, should harden up for us.
Vexilar Entertainment System

Offline blackpearl1281

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 19, 2011, 06:51 PM »
Hey new to fishing in NY looking for a good place to park and foot it out onto the ice.  Any Suggestions looking for some perch!!  Thanks for any help..

Offline crappiekid

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #35 on: Jan 19, 2011, 06:53 PM »
Long Point State Park East side of lake

Offline Scarface Fisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Jan 19, 2011, 07:15 PM »
Was out of Mayville on Monday Game Warden was out checking licences and my fish. He was nice enough to give me a break as I had left mine in the truck. Just a heads up.   

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Jan 20, 2011, 07:02 PM »
Crazy thing happened today.  Fishing perch this am I have a good hit and end up breaking off looseing my jig.  Only one of that kind with me I might add.  Tie on another and proceed on catching fish.  About two hours later end up catching a good perch that has my jig from earlier hooked in its lower jaw.  Never would I guessed to get a fish to bite twice.

Offline Instantperception

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 20, 2011, 07:19 PM »
Crazy thing happened today.  Fishing perch this am I have a good hit and end up breaking off looseing my jig.  Only one of that kind with me I might add.  Tie on another and proceed on catching fish.  About two hours later end up catching a good perch that has my jig from earlier hooked in its lower jaw.  Never would I guessed to get a fish to bite twice.

that's sweet............bonus for getting your jig back,  i'm presuming it was a keeper since the first time was good hit

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Jan 20, 2011, 07:54 PM »
One of the better ones of the day.  Going back for round two in the am.

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Jan 20, 2011, 07:57 PM »
thats cool travis that happened with me and a buddy catching tiger muskies up here in cassadaga. one of us lost our jig (damn expensive rapala I might add) caught a little while  later on a small jig  , actually ended up with one hook in it  and tangled the other's line pretty wild 10 minutes or so . We were fishing crappies.   And damn I wish I had the time you have travis this year is killing me so far . It is still early though

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Jan 20, 2011, 08:16 PM »
Ill keep on them.  You let me know when you get some time.

Offline nateG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • institutionalized
« Reply #42 on: Jan 21, 2011, 06:51 AM »
  And damn I wish I had the time you have travis this year is killing me so far . It is still early though

+1 on that. I'm finally getting out this weekend.

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Jan 21, 2011, 10:17 AM »
Should have stayed in bed this am.  Lost my gaf down the hole, battery died on the finder, lighter died, and had to throw back two good eating eyes.  Snow was twice as deep as yesterday on the east side of the lake.  Drag is not gonna be fun if this snow keeps up.  Gonna start hitting the west side. 

Offline waltergirl

• IceShanty Rookie
  • 'To fish or not to fish' What a stupid question.
« Reply #44 on: Jan 22, 2011, 06:44 AM »
Should have stayed in bed this am.  Lost my gaf down the hole, battery died on the finder, lighter died, and had to throw back two good eating eyes.  Snow was twice as deep as yesterday on the east side of the lake.  Drag is not gonna be fun if this snow keeps up.  Gonna start hitting the west side. 
I heard something about the gaf ..like your not allowed to carry one is this true..if thats true good thing my ice scoop has a hooked end i used it last year to pull a walleye out off the hole  after i tried just lifting it out on the line and he came of the hook and gulped the air 2 times enough time for me to shove the hooked thing in his gill and pull his a'' out  ;D haha
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles." Every fisherman or woman  has a story. Only a select few have proof.

Offline papatim

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Jan 22, 2011, 07:35 AM »
You can use a gaff for ice fishing only in New York

Offline lovetoshoot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Jan 22, 2011, 07:59 AM »
Use of gaffs
Use or possession of gaffs or gaff hooks is prohibited when
fishing in freshwater, including the Hudson River upstream
of the Tappan Zee Bridge, except when ice fishing.

Here is the copied section of regulations.

Offline Dmyerswny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Jan 22, 2011, 11:54 AM »
Hey guys my partners aren't really trying to go out this year and I am but I'm not trying to go alone. I'm 23 and I like to target the big guys but don't mind going pan fishing- I just want to get out. I have all my own equipment and stuff too. Party friendly. Shoot me a PM so I can get out more this season PLEASE!

Offline mikeymjr23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Jan 23, 2011, 08:12 PM »

Why did you have to throw back 2 good eating eyes?

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Jan 24, 2011, 04:19 AM »
One was 16", one was 17"

Offline MAJOBER

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Live Free & Die Hard
« Reply #50 on: Jan 24, 2011, 06:15 AM »
Just curious.... how do you guys think the calico fishery in this lake is gonna be in the next 5 years... seems like most of the fish ive caught in the past 3 years in the spring or winter have all been solid healthy 9 inchers or better... havnt really thrown alot of undersized fish back over the years (dont catch many).... also notice that most of the calico are over 11 inches not your boarderline 9 inchers....
" There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and dark of night, And if you go no one may follow, That path is for your steps alone.  Ripple in still water,When there is no pebble tossed,Nor wind to blow.  You who choose to lead must follow, But if you fall you fall alone, If you stand then who's to guide you? If I knew the way then I would take you home."  Robert Hunter & Jerry Garcia

Offline lovetoshoot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Jan 24, 2011, 07:05 AM »
If you and your buddy stay on them like you have there will be very few to catch!  lol j/k  In the spring with my friend we were on some schools of smaller fish the last couple of years. We have had a little bit of trouble finding as many as my friend was used to in years gone by though.  I've only fish the lake from shore in the past and it had become such a circus that I quit fishing for them for years. I would like to get on them at night through the ice, but haven't made the time. I love that late night action when the ice is popping and most people have gone home, slight slack line on spring bobber, set the hook......PRICELESS

Offline nateG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • institutionalized
« Reply #52 on: Jan 24, 2011, 09:19 AM »
The cali's do seem healthy. I think it's a good sign obviously. :icefish:

Offline Jdawg67

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #53 on: Jan 24, 2011, 09:31 AM »
Fishing The Chat in Two weeks for a long weekend.  I'll bring bait up for the first day, but wondering in any of the bait Shops around the Lake have emeralds?  I thought years ago Hogan's did, but I haven't been in there in years.   

Offline lovetoshoot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Jan 24, 2011, 09:53 AM »
Fishing The Chat in Two weeks for a long weekend.  I'll bring bait up for the first day, but wondering in any of the bait Shops around the Lake have emeralds?  I thought years ago Hogan's did, but I haven't been in there in years.   

Hogan's Hut and Happy Hooker have both had emeralds for your fishing pleasure!

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Jan 25, 2011, 03:01 PM »
Heading to the lake in a bit. Hoping it will be a crappie night.  Anyone else going out?

Offline nateG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • institutionalized
« Reply #56 on: Jan 25, 2011, 03:20 PM »
Heading to the lake in a bit. Hoping it will be a crappie night.  Anyone else going out?

Good luck, thanks for the slush report..not what I wanted to hear. Bringing the quad down that way this weekend hope is tightens up.

Offline mikeymjr23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Jan 25, 2011, 04:18 PM »

Wishin' I was headed out, Travis.  Gotta get up there to get out sometime soon!

Offline waltergirl

• IceShanty Rookie
  • 'To fish or not to fish' What a stupid question.
« Reply #58 on: Jan 26, 2011, 09:25 AM »
I was going though all the pictures and messages and reports and you know what it looks like IM the only female out there  ??? It's kind of Sad  :-\
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles." Every fisherman or woman  has a story. Only a select few have proof.

Offline nateG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • institutionalized
« Reply #59 on: Jan 26, 2011, 10:14 AM »
I was going though all the pictures and messages and reports and you know what it looks like IM the only female out there  ??? It's kind of Sad  :-\

I tried to get my wife to go once but there was no interest...never asked again  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.