Author Topic: Northland Glo shot spoon review  (Read 4402 times)

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Northland Glo shot spoon review
« on: Dec 17, 2017, 08:58 PM »
So I got out for the first time this year and tried the new glo shot spoons. Couple of issues: the glo sticks are very hard in the cold. I used 2 pairs of plyers to break but on 1 it broke the entire stick. Also was watching the spoon on the cameras and several times if you jigged hard or fast the treble hook would get caught up on the slot where the glo stick goes. You wouldn't even know unless you have the camera on watching. Perhaps need to go to single hook or dropper chain.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Re: Northland Glo shot spoon review
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2017, 12:16 AM »
Put a smaller treble on it.....maybe?

Offline Super-ice-bird

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That's a fifth next to that brown!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2017, 05:19 AM »
So I got out for the first time this year and tried the new glo shot spoons. Couple of issues: the glo sticks are very hard in the cold. I used 2 pairs of plyers to break but on 1 it broke the entire stick. Also was watching the spoon on the cameras and several times if you jigged hard or fast the treble hook would get caught up on the slot where the glo stick goes. You wouldn't even know unless you have the camera on watching. Perhaps need to go to single hook or dropper chain.

Did you get any bites? If you did, did the fish seem more aggressive with lure than with others lures? I’m just curious, I bought some of those spoons too. Haven’t got a chance to use yet.
Come on fish!

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2017, 07:26 AM »
I wasn't impressed one bit by the Glo Shot.  I was really eager to try them because I utilize glow jigs quite a bit in the fishing I do.  First drop down I tried to coax a few fish and lost my bait, so I reeled up only to discover that the glow stick was already gone.  What!?  It lasted all of about 10 minutes.   So I put a new one on and drop back down.  About 10 min later I catch a small walleye (about 12").  While I was unhooking it I notice that one of the three hooks of the treble is gone, it just fell off.  I don't know if they weld the third hook on or how they attach it, but man.....talk about flimsy.   At 1 or 2 bucks, I'd accept it, and understand that I probably need swap out with a better hook and move one, but at 6 bucks each I expect a decent hook from the get go.  Not cool.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2017, 07:34 AM »
oh and yes, you will need to keep a stick in the slot, even if you don't want the glo because the treble will find it's way into the empty slot and get tangled up.   :(

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2017, 08:53 AM »
Thanks for the report, I won't be buying them now.  I read in another post that a guy had a problem with the glow stick leaking.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2017, 09:03 AM »
Thanks for the report, I won't be buying them now.  I read in another post that a guy had a problem with the glow stick leaking.
That was me, but I have not been able to repeat the problem. What I will say is that I had good success fishing with them for cutthroat trout in Idaho a couple of weeks ago. I  used the Wonder Bread color which is white with different colored dots and a meal worm and did really well! Personally, I will buy more as I see them on sale in the future.

Offline WalleyeAdventurer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2017, 09:20 AM »
I wouldn't buy them.  They're designed so you always have to buy more glow sticks.  Just bring your smartphone with you on the ice and shine the flashlight on your lure for a bit, drop it down the hole for a while and then shine your light on it again once it's lost its glow.
DILLY DILLY

Offline JaminWI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2017, 09:44 AM »
I used one of mine for the first time this weekend and also had an issue with the trebble getting hunt up in the slot for the glo stick.  Who knows how long I was jigging for with it all wrapped up...

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 18, 2017, 05:47 PM »
The treble gets stuck even with the glo stick in. The glo lasted a couple hours on one and less than 10 minutes on a different color. I was watching the fish on my cameras and they wanted nothing to do with it. Took out the glo stick and got 3 hits and 1 fish. very cheap and flimsy hook , for the price should be all quality. I spent over $100, got several...what a waste!

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fun n Games Til Someone loses a Walleye
« Reply #10 on: Feb 27, 2018, 06:19 PM »
Wow! lots of negativity on these. I also tried them for the first time this year up in Saskatchewn. They reminded me of a tingler spoon and I thought the addition of a glow stick was a good idea.
  The first day using then three of us ended up with 12 Walleye (a saskatchewan limit) and I also caught 6 jumbo perch on this same lure. I used the same lure next trip out and had similar results on a different lake. The hooks could be better. I had a large Walleye break one tine off the treble. I always keep spare trebles of varying sizes so just swapped it out. In deep and or stained water they seem to help. I am looking forward to trying them in the summer.

Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way.

Offline RussC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 27, 2018, 08:17 PM »
I have had trouble getting the glow stick to stay in place. I will crack the stick, and place it in the slot then lower the hook and watch the glow stick float away? Any recommendations?

Offline firegems

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 27, 2018, 08:36 PM »
Tried the Glo shot once...everything was fine, even brought up one short eye on it. Came with two Glo sticks so after one more try I might improvise with some small rubber glow beads that I have. I slip those beads over the top eye on my treble hooks on my jigging raps and spoons....the bead stops the hook from flipping up and hooking the lure and the extra glow doesn't seem to hurt either. I was thinking about stringing 4-5 of the on a piece of wire and popping it into the slot..then I can recharge the beads with a little light and be done with the light tubes.
SO MANY FISH.........SO LITTLE TIME!

Offline Walleyewacker007

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 27, 2018, 09:27 PM »
I got a bunch of these this season as well thinking they would be great for night fishing. I haven't done a lot of night fishing this season but so far one 3 lbs eelpout was caught on the large wonderbread with a green stick. I have had mostly great glow out of them, with some of the sticks lasting multiple DAYS, although sometimes you get a bum stick or pack. No problem with the treble ever being hooked up for me (at least when I take it out) but I always have a stick in. The sticks include a hook attachment(small piece of rubber) that can be used to attach the stick to any hook so even if you don't have these lures the sticks are great on thier own, as I have caught fish on jigs and bare hooks with the sticks.I haven't tried any of these during the day but I'm sure they're going to catch as many fish as as tingler or slender spoons. I would bet you guys with the lures that hook up or won't hold the sticks could probably get Northland Tackle to replace them with a well written, polite e-mail or Facebooger post, everybody makes mistakes, pros make it right. I would recommend these lures as they catch fish, then again, so do plain red hooks...so get some of those too!

Offline Rainman935

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 03, 2018, 04:51 PM »
A couple of things. This lure works just fine as long as you are smarter then the lure. To fix the self hooking problem Is simple. There are two rings linking to the hook. Remove the bottom ring, problem solved. I've never had a problem with the glow sticks staying in. Must be operator error. The sticks seam to be warm/cold sensitive. Once submerged in ice cold water, they will begin to dim. Warm them up near heater or in hand to increase the glow. The glow sticks don't seam to help during the day in fact, I dont even use them during the day unless there is cloud cover/murky water. The red stick seems to entice more strikes. Would be nice if they sold a stick with beads in it to convert it into a rattle spoon for daytime use.

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 03, 2018, 07:46 PM »
Hard to blame a lure for operator error. No problems with using them.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Mar 05, 2018, 07:16 AM »
First, have you ever considered the fact that there could be a bad manufacturing lot out there?  I can assure you this is not "operator error".  I've seen too many people have the same exact same problem, and I even got a response from Northland confirming they did indeed have an issue with manufacturing.  If you are having problems, contact them and they will replace your lures.    Second, as far as the ring goes, again it's a design thing you shouldn't have to do that,  and lastly the biggest problem I have is the hook breaking.  4 out of 4 have broken on me, that is not acceptable and I know Northland would definately send me new lures again, but what good is that?  I don't want a turd replaced with another turd.  I'll just quit using them instead.   It's unfortunate, because I really like having a constant glow...

Offline Rainman935

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 05, 2018, 12:07 PM »
They must have fixed the weak hook problem. All that I have bought in the last couple months have had strong hooks. I caught 6 3-6lb rainbows and several perch and walleye on the same lure one day and never had a problem with the hooks bending/breaking.

Offline Walleyewacker007

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 08, 2018, 02:46 AM »
You guys never broke a hook? Thats why they sell replacement hooks....a whole box for $6! I had the same idea with the rattle, they currently make a rattle claw single and double, not sure if these might work.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Mar 08, 2018, 07:53 AM »
So we should just accept the fact we have to replace the hooks on a $6 lure we just bought?   C'mon.  :)

I broke mine on the very first fish it caught and it was only a 10" walleye.   I just broke another one last weekend and unfortunately it was one of the replacements they sent me. 

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 08, 2018, 06:05 PM »
So we should just accept the fact we have to replace the hooks on a $6 lure we just bought?   C'mon.  :)

I broke mine on the very first fish it caught and it was only a 10" walleye.   I just broke another one last weekend and unfortunately it was one of the replacements they sent me.
I agree and I would love to say it happened to me also but it couldn't. I jigged with this more than any other this year and not ONE HIT. I watched on the camera as fish after fish looked and swam away. It seemed to bring them in but spook them. I dropped a tipped pimple down right next to it and perch hit the pimple but wouldn't touch the tipped glo shot spoon!

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 08, 2018, 06:35 PM »

Exactly. I see people get bashed for spending money on pricey tungsten jigs and LiveTarget baits but people have no issue with buying a box of replacement hooks for their $6 spoon? I call bs. I have never really looked at Northland for quality though. I think the whole “glow stick” thing is a total gimmick to catch more fisherman. Clearly, it worked gangbusters. Obviously, it’s been field tested. I think Northland could have given this a little more R&D.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.