Author Topic: Shanty meals  (Read 8778 times)

Offline minnowdrowner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T-bar!!!
Shanty meals
« on: Jan 06, 2018, 11:03 AM »
Heading to Devils lake in a couple weeks, 4 guys in a wheelhouse for 4 days doing our own thing. Lunches will be sammiches in the flipovers but what are some good meals cook able in the small camper ovens/stoves and small crockpots for breakfast and supper? Willing to go to town if necessary but would like to put together some other options besides the typical pizzas and jerky... What does everyone cook on long trips on the ice? Thinking maybe try tacos? Lasagna? Throw some suggestions out there. Eat fish couple times a week so not overly concerned with the fresh fish meals, looking for some "gourmet" ideas for 4 Neanderthals...   ;D
How many times do I gotta go through holes before I watch where I'm going? I am an amateur fisherman, but an all star minnow drowner!

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
Re: Shanty meals
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2018, 11:07 AM »
I'll make up venison chilli or some broccoli rice cheddar chicken soup before my trip and then heat it up on the little campstove I bring with me.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline motocross269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2018, 11:19 AM »
Make up as much stuff as possible ahead of time and use crock pots... Also Grilling meat doesn't have much clean up.... I don't mind the cooking but the clean up stinks so try to keep it down to a minimum... Of course fried fish from the days catch will end the day nicely...

Offline wallyspartan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2018, 04:44 PM »
Crockpot chicken pot pie.  Chunk some potatoes and carrots. Throw in frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts, season, and cover with a couple cans of cream of chicken soup and chicken broth.  When you get back, throw in some frozen peas and top with a can of biscuits cut into quarters.

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2018, 04:51 PM »
Wow it all sounds great! Does the last one end up like a shepherds pie with biscuits on top?

Offline bearlake16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2018, 07:46 PM »
Brats and kielbasa sausages pre grilled sitting in beer and onion in a slow-cooker easy to heat. Add a bun and and a great simple filling meal.   Can also cut them up and have with eggs in the morning. Baked potatoes are also great in a slow-cooker. Boiled eggs are great as well. Simple finger food is what we like to take very minimal clean up. And filling. Easy to snack on meals. Not a fan of soups and Chile on the ice we drink enough liquids so don’t want more for meals. Have fun and be safe.

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2018, 08:07 PM »
http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/grape-jelly-meatballs-72826

One of my favorite foods from a slow cooker. Home made recipe is slightly different, but you can prep and freeze the meatballs before hand.

Offline bearlake16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2018, 09:53 PM »
Another thing that’s a hit and cheap is pulled pork in a slow cooker. Big on nice bakery hard rolls . Easy to make up grab some coleslaw or buy. Some dill pickles and chips.

Offline wallyspartan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2018, 12:28 PM »
Wow it all sounds great! Does the last one end up like a shepherds pie with biscuits on top?
More like soft dumplings. 

Offline AriettaBob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2018, 10:45 AM »
We make up a big disposable aluminum tray of mac and cheese with ham. Top it with breadcrumbs and freeze it. Travels great and heats up either in an oven or on my homemade grate for the buddy heater.

Offline Watter wolff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2018, 08:26 AM »
Pulled pork  nice and slow in crock pot

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2018, 07:12 PM »
We make up a big disposable aluminum tray of mac and cheese with ham. Top it with breadcrumbs and freeze it. Travels great and heats up either in an oven or on my homemade grate for the buddy heater.
x2 minus ham
I put it in aluminum loaf pans and wrap in tinfoil so I can rotate it on the heater buddy cooking grate

Offline delfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and release 247
« Reply #12 on: Jan 24, 2018, 10:08 AM »
 cabbage soup

There's nothing better in life then being outside on a cold winter day hanging around with a bunch of icehole's

Offline bearlake16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 24, 2018, 09:54 PM »
Did you make it to devils lake? How was the fishing and the food? Enquiring minds want to know. :tipup:

Offline jiml

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2018, 07:11 AM »
Venison sweet sausage with peppers and onions is the favorite.  I pre cook the peppers and onions and keep them in cheap tupperwear (disposable).  Sausages get cooked in a frying pan on the camp stove and heat up the sub rolls over the big buddy heater.  I keep my fishing box (old army footlocker) stocked with paper plates and such.........all gets tossed in the trash bag for easy cleanup.  Only thing I need to clean is the pan when I get home.
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."
Ronald Reagan

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 05, 2018, 04:11 PM »
I've made quesadillas at home ahead of time. In alum foil they can be warmed up relatively easily on a little buddy heater or another source of heat. Just have a jar of salsa or some sour cream and good to go.

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 05, 2018, 04:15 PM »
Pasties and gravy.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline jpohlic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 05, 2018, 10:26 PM »
We slept in the shack on the weekend and ate quite well. Here was Sunday breakfast, pan fried potatoes and onions, ham, and eggs.

The more I fish, the less I know about fishing...
Send me a PM if you'd like info about how I built my ice shack

Offline jpohlic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 18, 2018, 07:14 PM »
Breakfast in the shanty this morning was a grilled breakfast sandwich with home made applewood smoked maple bacon. This was my first attempt at smoking pork belly and it turned out great!

The more I fish, the less I know about fishing...
Send me a PM if you'd like info about how I built my ice shack

Offline MILLERMANKT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 18, 2018, 10:45 PM »
That's a good lookin sammich   :thumbsup:

Offline hardwater2417

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 22, 2018, 06:23 PM »
do a venison stew  or a stew for the ice great warm me up , or even better  do a fish chowder

Offline Richi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Sep 03, 2018, 08:45 AM »
Wow thanks :o

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.