Author Topic: Tip-ups for Walleye  (Read 2712 times)

Offline Michiganmallard

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tip-ups for Walleye
« on: Jan 05, 2005, 08:34 PM »
A question for those of you who use tip-ups for walleye-
What line do you use and how do you rig it?

I'm pretty much a pike fisherman once the ice hits.  You'd think in 15 years of jigging & running tip-ups for pike I'd get an occasional walleye on a tip-up.  Not me.  I use the teflon coated 25# braided line on my tip ups.  Now I have caught a couple walleyes by using a 16" flourocarbon leader on a tip up with a perch minnow, but I'd like to dedicate a couple tip-ups to walleyes this year.  Trying to feel the breaking strength of a 6# leader while holding 25# braid isn't the most efficient way to catch eyes I'm sure.  ;)

Member: Michigan Trappers Association, National Trappers Association, Michigan Duck Hunters Association, Wetlands Foundation of West Michigan,  Michigan United Conservation Clubs,  National Rifle Association, & Delta Waterfowl
Preserve our right to Hunt, Fish, & Trap.  BECOME A MEMBER.

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Tip-ups for Walleye
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2005, 09:44 PM »
Check out the "Walleye" board under "Ice Fishing Tips"
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline Pike an Eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Dead Sea 04"
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2005, 07:46 AM »
I agree with Fishin' Musician,

I use the same setup, only 6 - 30 spiderwire (original braid green).  I fish for both pike and walleye using this combo on all my tip-ups and it seems to work well. the only other suggestion I could make is if you were fishing a still body of water, instead of a river is to eliminate the sinkers.

Just my two cent's 

Offline Michiganmallard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2005, 01:48 PM »
I'll be.  Thanks for the info guys.

Member: Michigan Trappers Association, National Trappers Association, Michigan Duck Hunters Association, Wetlands Foundation of West Michigan,  Michigan United Conservation Clubs,  National Rifle Association, & Delta Waterfowl
Preserve our right to Hunt, Fish, & Trap.  BECOME A MEMBER.

camo_fish

« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2005, 02:37 PM »
6lb mono, #12 treble, middle shinner. and this can be you, too.

but I almost lost her at the hole. the hook came out when the only the head was out of the hole. Quickly grabbed her and threw her across the ice, my buddy couldn't believe his eyes, just like a bear after their prey. I told my buddy that if it can down to a wet sleeve or loosing a nice walleye, I'll walk around all day with a wet sleeve.  ;D
But, I normally go with 8 or 10 lb. mono and #6 trebles for my eyes on tip-ups.  :)

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2005, 05:31 PM »
6lb mono, #12 treble, middle shinner. and this can be you, too.
(Image removed from quote.)
but I almost lost her at the hole. the hook came out when the only the head was out of the hole. Quickly grabbed her and threw her across the ice, my buddy couldn't believe his eyes, just like a bear after their prey. I told my buddy that if it can down to a wet sleeve or loosing a nice walleye, I'll walk around all day with a wet sleeve.  ;D
But, I normally go with 8 or 10 lb. mono and #6 trebles for my eyes on tip-ups.  :)

Nice fish Camo!  We have not attempted to catch the "eyes" with tip ups, but are going to give it a try this year.  We boated a nice 11lber last year on Lake O (near my cottage).
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline PeRcHsLaYeR

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I LOVE PERCH!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2005, 09:10 AM »
polar- nomrmal braided line, then a 2 foot 6# leader with a spilit shot and very tiny treble hook.
slammer- 8# to a 6# leader slpit shot and little tiny treble hook
you can call me PeRcHsLaYeR......

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.