Author Topic: New on site with a few BC ice fishing questions.  (Read 1189 times)

Offline argoholic

• IceShanty Rookie
New on site with a few BC ice fishing questions.
« on: Jan 10, 2009, 01:19 AM »
Firstly very cool site and I'm drooling over some of the pics. I was a very avid icefisherman in Ontario before moving way west to Vancouver Island in 02. At that point I called any tackle shop I could on the island to ask about possible icefishing areas. Most thought I was a nut and just couldn't even understand the need or want to do such a thing. So basically I haven't fished the hardwater for years. I bloody miss the hell out of it. I'm sure with a ton of work I may be able to find the odd lake at elevation but with no sled that would be a b***h.
So how far from Vancouver would I have to travel to find safe hard water which a 4x4 will work to get you in? I have no sled or quad.
Hell I've been bugging my wife about moving back to Ontario. I guess it's all about what you know. Tons of easy lakes to fish there. Non of these mountains to get in the way. ;)
Any help woud be great.

When you give up on such a passion it sucks the life blood out of yah.
Need some ice imported to Southern Vancouver Island

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: New on site with a few BC ice fishing questions.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2009, 10:49 AM »
Time to change jobs and move North!!!  ;D

Offline fishmann

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2009, 12:05 PM »
Would love to help you out, but as I've lived my entire life up north I know nothing of the island/lower mainland when it comes to icefishing.  Hopefully someone on help can help you out.
Welcome to the site!

Offline argoholic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2009, 10:47 PM »
Well I'm a self employed landscape contractor so this is a pretty good place to be for that. I guess maybe I'll have to start planning a few icefishing trips off island.

Offline ribak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2009, 04:37 PM »
I fish in about 4-5-hour drive from Vancouver around Kamloops, Cache Creek, Clinton area. For example Loon Lake. It is a long drive, but well worth it. Usually go on Saturday night and stay in the motel on next night. Works well for me and my friends. Last two weekends were very good for fishing - everybody limited out... ;D

Offline argoholic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2009, 07:22 PM »
These lakes are fairly accessible without the need for sleds or atv's?  Still would be a pain in the butt for us. It's like 2.5 hrs just from our place to get to Vancouver including the ferry obviously. Still may have to plan a trip but the first trip could be just discovering the area. I've driven through that area a few times but that's it.

In Ontario I had a buddy and we'd travel from Mississauga 5 hrs up to Haliburton and back in a day for Brookies and Splake.

Offline ribak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2009, 11:46 AM »
Yes, a lot of lakes are accessible with a plain car. But I would suggested 4X4 to be on safer side. Loon lake has a very good access and several lodges. Good luck.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.