Author Topic: Walked on ice today  (Read 2175 times)

Offline srobocop

• Team IceShanty Regular
Walked on ice today
« on: Nov 12, 2018, 01:57 PM »
Walked on ice in the Ishpeming area today. That being said... definitely not safe yet. Another week of cold temps and I might check that spot out again.
-Sro
"I ain't from Michigan, I'm from the U.P."

Offline Depthfinder

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Walked on ice today
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12, 2018, 04:35 PM »
Small lakes completely frozen over on Sunday in the southern UP.  Small shallow lakes should be ready be deer season.  I'll have to sharpen the ice spud and check ice thickness a lot.  Watch for snow mixing with the ice as this makes it weaker.

Offline atallgiraffe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2018, 08:54 PM »
Spudded my way out about 20 m on a smaller Ishpeming lake today. Found about 2 in of good ice with an inch of snowy ice. Just a little too thin for total comfort so I'm going to give it another few days.
Might check Minnie tomorrow.

Offline atallgiraffe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2018, 03:17 PM »
Be careful out there. Was on 4-5 inches of ice this afternoon. Was a little confused when my spud went through with just 2 whacks in a couple of places - then when I made a hole I realized that what looked like good black ice was a bit honeycombed. Held me up but being the first time I've experienced honeycombed ice I wasn't comfortable and left.

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2018, 09:40 AM »
Be careful out there. Was on 4-5 inches of ice this afternoon. Was a little confused when my spud went through with just 2 whacks in a couple of places - then when I made a hole I realized that what looked like good black ice was a bit honeycombed. Held me up but being the first time I've experienced honeycombed ice I wasn't comfortable and left.

How much slush on ice?

Offline atallgiraffe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2018, 02:44 PM »
A few inches of slush under snow. Checked again this afternoon, similar conditions. Hopefully that slush will freeze soon but the snow is insulating it pretty well.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.