Author Topic: Got my Eskimo pistol bit in the mail today and small review.  (Read 5543 times)

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
Well got it today short of being able to use it on the ice here is what I know. The top that the drill chuck mounts to is just like the top of a K drill. It is a triangular shape that should hold up great. Mine is a 6 inch it is very light. the drill I have is a milwaukee fuel 18 with that and the auger it weighs 8# 9 ounces very light I hope to use it without the Clam plate. Speaking of that it fits the Clam plate perfectly no issues whatsoever slide right in. Also works with the Clam extension but I doubt many would ever need it. on the Clam plate from the tip to the top is 40 inches of ice you can drill up to. On just the drill and auger it is 39 inches to top of the plate. weighs 13# 6 ounces total with the Clamplate. the bolt is a 1/4 x 20. The blade guard is awesome it has a small ball bungee that is attached to the cover so no more lost strap also it is easy to put back on no guessing which way the the cover goes on. Good thinking on Eskimo on this part. The only thing I did not like which is very minor is if you take the bolt off with the plate on top the Allen wrench is a little hard to get in there not long enough to take of fast but no big deal and nothing a socket and Allen could not fix. I'm so impressed I'm thinking of just selling my K drill but not quite yet. The blades are shaver blades which I believe are the same as Eskimo and clams 6 inch blades. Hope this will help someone out. If it does not hurt my wrists which from what I gather it does not at 9# that open up a lot of holes fast and light and quickly pun intended. The fastest run and gun auger I believe out there.

Brent

Offline kondan

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Got my Eskimo pistol bit in the mail today and small review.
« Reply #1 on: Oct 17, 2018, 12:47 PM »
Thanks for the small review! I would like to see this match up with the Strike master lazer synthetic, which I have.  Best auger I've used with the Milwaukee M18.

Offline BigSling

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 17, 2018, 01:29 PM »
Thanks for the review. Just curious where you ordered from? Waiting on an 8" from SG myself and have seen several different 'expected delivery' dates.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Oct 17, 2018, 01:41 PM »
Thanks for the review. Just curious where you ordered from? Waiting on an 8" from SG myself and have seen several different 'expected delivery' dates.
Should be able to get one here. https://www.geteskimo.com/drill-auger-bits
<===Lefty===

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 17, 2018, 03:57 PM »
Got it from Reeds in MN, Scheels also has them in stock. Trust me I did a lot of calling around. On a side note I understand all the hoopla of a new item but don't put it out there and then you cant get/find it drove me nuts.  ::) I know there is no ice now but don't put a carrot in front of me and expect me to be sane before we get ice. ;D :o

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Oct 17, 2018, 04:13 PM »
Got it from Reeds in MN, Scheels also has them in stock. Trust me I did a lot of calling around. On a side note I understand all the hoopla of a new item but don't put it out there and then you cant get/find it drove me nuts.  ::) I know there is no ice now but don't put a carrot in front of me and expect me to be sane before we get ice. ;D :o
I know how that goes. Someone posted the Nero on Bass Pro and I bit the bullet and spent way more that I should have. No regrets on it. Same thing happened when I heard about the VW Jetta TDI and I paid over $2000 more than blue book on mine. No regrets on it either. 300k Miles later and still running like a top. The 48 MPG isn't too bad either.
<===Lefty===

Offline JaminWI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 17, 2018, 04:50 PM »
Intriguing. Thanks for sharing. Might be interested for use as a wheelhouse auger, but am I correct in thinking this bit may not be great at reopening holes because it doesn't have a center bit/point?

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 17, 2018, 06:49 PM »
On the box it says great for re drilling frozen holes. I also called and they said yes for refrozen holes however they said not to use it overlapping holes together. Just some info for all.

Offline JaminWI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 17, 2018, 08:53 PM »
Great, thanks MrPike. I'll be watching for reviews come hardwater season.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Oct 18, 2018, 06:27 AM »
You know, I can not understand the importance of opening an old hole. Wouldn't it be easier to just drill a new hole next to it? I know if it hasn't been but one day later the ice is much thinner but you got to worry about someone putting trash down that hole that you blade can hit.
With the speed of these augers made now a new hole would be the safest way to go.
<===Lefty===

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Oct 18, 2018, 06:52 AM »
You know, I can not understand the importance of opening an old hole. Wouldn't it be easier to just drill a new hole next to it? I know if it hasn't been but one day later the ice is much thinner but you got to worry about someone putting trash down that hole that you blade can hit.
With the speed of these augers made now a new hole would be the safest way to go.

To re-open a hole takes a split second, to drill a new hole can take north of 15-20 seconds with 3'+ of ice regardless of auger type. I could have 2 fish caught in the time it would take to re-drill a hole mid winter. Don't have to worry about trash with the chipper blades either. If fishing shallow there's much less noise and ruckus re-opening a hole than drilling a new one. Plenty of benefits to re-opening old holes, though definitely not a necessity by any means and you're right, safest way is to just re-drill a hole.
Da Pack!

Offline BigSling

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 18, 2018, 06:55 AM »

It would also be a valuable benefit for folks with houses left in one spot for days/weeks where you're always re-drilling old holes.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 18, 2018, 06:57 AM »

Most important for those who have permanent shacks, or maybe for someone fishing cribs and other specific structure. If its to key in on one spot like a isolated pile of rocks, down the face of a drop or what ever, basically if it took a camera to confirm your on the spot, I’d drill the same hole again lol.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Oct 18, 2018, 07:10 AM »

Looks like you guy's answered my question. We can't have perm's out here and I never fish over 2' of ice. And noise is not a problem with a drill and hand auger. And I have seen junk in the ice that would ruin any blade. Some people are just pig's.
<===Lefty===

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 01, 2018, 10:25 AM »
On the box it says great for re drilling frozen holes. I also called and they said yes for refrozen holes however they said not to use it overlapping holes together. Just some info for all.

Curious about the overlapping holes thing.  Why is this not recommended?  It looks like a unit i might like to try, but if I can't overlap holes, its a deal killer for me.  I need at least a 10" and sometimes something a little bigger.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #15 on: Nov 01, 2018, 10:43 AM »
Curious about the overlapping holes thing.  Why is this not recommended?  It looks like a unit i might like to try, but if I can't overlap holes, its a deal killer for me.  I need at least a 10" and sometimes something a little bigger.
thinking one blade could get caught up some what especially just starting the next cut (might take many cuts) and put too much flex on it and cause a permanent bend in it. this maybe why my lazer had to be replaced. it would cut mainly on one blade only so i installed new blades with no avail. bought a replacement from gm going out of business sale for 50$. the lighter they get the thinner the metal has to be. looking to have the kickers on my next bit i buy to hold the angle longer.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #16 on: Nov 01, 2018, 02:28 PM »
Scheels in MT had a pile of them on the shelf, guessing other Scheels stores will too?

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #17 on: Nov 01, 2018, 05:42 PM »

I looked at one the other day at Scheels....They seemed like they were possibly flimsy...for $200.....I would pass and did.

I don't understand why a person wouldn't just by a $40 mora, $20 strikemaster extention, $20 NDA2 drill adaptor, and a $4.99 drill flange all from strikemaster. For $85 you'd have the same type of setup for a drill vs $200...........

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 01, 2018, 05:55 PM »
I agree to a point Agronomist. For me it's how light it is that really helps me out a lot. The Mora will work good to but if the Mora's are so good why are they always on the store shelves? I have never seen them sold out as opposed to other styles of augers. Not picking a fight here but sometimes I think it comes down to having the greatest and latest for most people. I hope the Eskimo holds up good if not I know where to get a ole blue Mora my back up.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #19 on: Nov 01, 2018, 06:49 PM »
I agree to a point Agronomist. For me it's how light it is that really helps me out a lot. The Mora will work good to but if the Mora's are so good why are they always on the store shelves? I have never seen them sold out as opposed to other styles of augers. Not picking a fight here but sometimes I think it comes down to having the greatest and latest for most people. I hope the Eskimo holds up good if not I know where to get a ole blue Mora my back up.

Oh I think it will work just fine. Nothing wrong at all with the Eskimo. I'd like to have one, but at $199 Its just to much for me. They mora augers sell out down here, and that's what the Eskimo pistol basicly is. Usually the stores have 3-4x the mora augers avalible vs Kdrill's.

Offline xiaolu

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Nov 28, 2019, 04:04 PM »
The new for 2019 model Eskimo Pistol auger now includes a center point and lengthened 1/2” chuck bit, which addresses almost all of its shortcomings with its previous model I think.

Mostly ice fishing Lake Simcoe in southern Ontario, Canada, for lake trout (lakers), lake whitefish (whities), and jumbo yellow perch:-)

Offline Db

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 607 373 0942
« Reply #21 on: Nov 28, 2019, 05:46 PM »
I over lapped holes all last season have not had one issue with my pistol bit blades still very sharpe one of my best purchases

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.