The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Eskimo 6" vs 8" for Ridgid drill  (Read 2089 times)

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Eskimo 6" vs 8" for Ridgid drill
« on: Aug 30, 2018, 04:06 PM »
I am wanting to go with the base Eskimo hand auger to put on a Ridgid hammer drill, but curious if that will have enough juice to turn a 8" effectively or if I should just go with the 6"
Minnesconsin born and raised

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Eskimo 6" vs 8" for Ridgid drill
« Reply #1 on: Aug 30, 2018, 04:26 PM »
Depends on which Rigid drill your trying. Someone has probably done a review and possibly answered your question.... the search box is a good place to look.

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Aug 30, 2018, 09:01 PM »
My 750# drill (not a Ridgid) turns a 6” shaver blade bit with zero problems. It handles an 8” bit also. Research the specs on the drills you are considering. You want a hammer drill, you want one that is brushless, and to turn an 8” bit you probably don’t want anything with less than 700# of torque.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Aug 30, 2018, 10:04 PM »
725in/lb is enough for my 7” lazer with no problem.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Sep 03, 2018, 07:42 AM »
I run the Ridgid  and a Mini Nero 7". The actual measurement is 7 3/8". I don't think it would work on the 8". So what's 5/8" anyway?
<===Lefty===

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #5 on: Sep 04, 2018, 01:23 AM »
Just curious why ur opting for the Rigid over Milwaukee? Or do ya already have the Rigid?
]

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Sep 04, 2018, 08:19 AM »
Just curious why ur opting for the Rigid over Milwaukee? Or do ya already have the Rigid?

Price

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #7 on: Sep 04, 2018, 08:52 AM »
i use a 6" lazer on a 750 "# ridgid brushed hammer drill and it is a good match. i wouldn't want to use an 8" on it, maybe a 7".

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Sep 04, 2018, 09:09 AM »
It would be nice if I could get a clear answer from HD on the 1300# tool.  Milwaukee will be what I go to if I can't get an answer shortly.  They are saying it was a "Store Only" product so only stores could order them??  Makes zero sense.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Sep 04, 2018, 10:06 AM »
i called hd and she says "huh must be store only item because no warehouse has any of them in stock in the states". it's also marked as special buy.
might be worth a wait since there isn't fishable ice. it has been on their site and pulled before. some folks here are saying its new and will be in stock. probably should call ridgid next.
Phone: 1-800-4-RIDGID (1-800-474-3443)

i'll buy one when in stock just to have it. no rush tho. batteries only have x amount of charges before they fade and need replacing and that's why i made the switch to ridgid years ago and since then i found out they do care about your tools big time. i have a few milwaukee tools that ridgid doesn't make (they have the same parent company and control what is available) and i know the more i use them, the faster i will need to replace the batteries. one of their tools i use often is a 3/8" 12 volt ratchet and a 1/2" impact. being free of air other than air chisel is great working on automotive repairs.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Sep 04, 2018, 10:28 AM »
just got off the phone with david from ridgid tools. he explained they build the market in the way we are seeing it done now with hd. he said hd has 600 on order for sept. and another 600 on order for nov. he thinks hd is setting it up for black friday and also thinks its a test sales.
he explained after that time they should be readily available.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Sep 04, 2018, 03:25 PM »
Has anyone heard if the new drill is covered under LSA. I understand they may be pulling out of the LSA for some of the new Ridgid tools like the 9ah battery. Just curious if anyone has heard if the new drill will be covered or not.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Sep 05, 2018, 07:32 AM »
Has anyone heard if the new drill is covered under LSA. I understand they may be pulling out of the LSA for some of the new Ridgid tools like the 9ah battery. Just curious if anyone has heard if the new drill will be covered or not.

Sounds like the 9aH battery kit (battery + charger) DOES qualify for the LSA. I've got one on the way and will verify once I get it.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Sep 05, 2018, 03:15 PM »
How about a 7 inch mora with this kit installed..  after jerry rigging them to work.. mine cut better then original cause they don't fall off down hole.. the jerry rigging part is all done with a drill and two different sized drill bits..  one bit the size of the new bolts shank the other the size of the new bolts head..  so the head sits in a pocket on the blade side of the adaptor and you will need grade 8 bolts and nylock washers for those new grade 8 bolts.. my auger cuts like a nils but the blades can be sharpened for $7.50 but take a little ingenuity to get it done ..

https://m.ebay.com/itm/7-INCH-STRIKEMASTER-MORA-TO-LAZER-BLADE-ICE-AUGER-ADAPTER-CONVERSION-KIT/131116713483?hash=item1e872a460b:g:xcAAAOxypNtSlljQ

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.