Author Topic: What are some of the best ice cleats out there?  (Read 4128 times)

Offline grayghoste78

• IceShanty Rookie
What are some of the best ice cleats out there?
« on: Dec 26, 2017, 08:27 AM »
Title says it all. 
What ones do you prefer, and why?
Pic would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline PerchOnIce

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: What are some of the best ice cleats out there?
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2017, 11:00 AM »
Kahtoola Micro Spikes. A little on the pricier end but i have been using the same pair for more than 8 years and they are still in great shape, great traction.

Offline 12ICEFISH

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Can't catch, if you don't fish!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2017, 12:43 PM »
I bought a pair of these at Gart Brothers Sports in Denver about 1980ish?? had to fix one strap, and shoe strings replaced a couple times.. Using straps now, and bought a pair for my son a few years ago. They are great, except if theres like an inch of powdery snow on the ice, because the cleats aren't real long.. Stabilicers look very similar!

https://www.amazon.com/Korkers-Footwear-Extreme-Ice-10-11-5/dp/B009LDC398/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1514313484&sr=8-5&keywords=korker+ice+cleats
Herm Krepel

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2017, 12:49 PM »
Khatoola microSpikes. There are knock-offs and cheaper designs based off of them, but I do consider these the Cadillac of slip on cleats. I will also say though, anything is better than busting your tailbone or worse out on the ice a long distance from your vehicle.  :tipup:

Offline iloveacrappiedinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2017, 12:55 PM »
I've worn the Kahtoola microspikes hiking the High Peaks in the Adirondacks in the winter. When you can scale a steep rock face covered in glare ice, the cleats are pretty solid. They are as close to ice climbing crampons as you can get. That being said, I've found them to be not as comfortable to just walk around the lake because of such an aggressive cleat. Think of it like wearing soccer cleats on a gym floor. Kind of a weird sensation. They're still my go to, but I would look at the Stabilicers walk. They're the standard issue for the US Postal Service so thats a pretty good reference right there. 

Offline reelrusty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2017, 01:18 PM »
I'm probably going to be accused of promoting over kill here but..... as I posted on a similar thread a couple weeks ago(can't find it now), I believe the cost of the best cleats pales in comparison to the cost of an orthopedic surgeon! I'm 68 now and have been ice fishing most of my life and tried MANY cleats. Three years ago I picked up two pair of Kahtoola's crampons. A pair of K-10s and a pair of KTS. Not ice climbers but close! I KNOW these crampons will be worn by my grandkids long after I'm gone. They are professional grade! When compared to what it costs to replace lesser ones yearly or even every couple years coupled with extraordinary safety they are worth every dime! Buy a cheap rod. Buy a cheap reel. Don't take a chance that could affect the rest of your life! OK, done now! Have a great and safe season :thumbsup:

Offline Loren

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2017, 03:54 PM »
Just got a pair of Kahtoola micro spikes, they look like the real deal.  I have size 12 Sorrel boots and the Kahtoola XL's are snug but they work.  Wish they made them in a XXL size also for my LaCrosse ICE kings, they are a size 12 and the micro spikes will not go over them.

Offline Slabsticker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 26, 2017, 09:57 PM »
Kahtoolas!! I've had a set for 10 years and they are amazing! You will NOT have a problem with falling, they are uncomfortable if you do lots and lots of walking. I mostly use my neos the last two seasons but they pale in comparison to my microspikes!

Offline crocodile9

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 27, 2017, 08:48 AM »
Kahtoolas are the best that I have tried.

Offline Jon Johnson SD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 27, 2017, 08:46 PM »
Korkers are good for a lower price cleat.

Offline fishm_n

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2017, 02:01 AM »
Wallmart cheap ones for big shoes, they fit bunny boots, don't fall off like others, easy on/off, and last longer than I can lose them

Offline HammerPike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 29, 2017, 12:02 PM »
I've used these for several years. The rubber that connects all the chains isn't great so I just took some paracord and crisscrossed over the top of my bunny boots to permanently rope these on. Love 'em. Won't ice fish (or snow blow the driveway sometimes) without them.

https://www.amazon.com/Glacier-Chains-GSC-L-Shoe-Large/dp/B004HXGT4C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1514570445&sr=8-1&keywords=GLACIER%2BSHOE%2BCHAINS&th=1

Offline jvanness

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 29, 2017, 12:12 PM »
Katoolas. Fit very snug and give a lot of traction. Will freeze up if you have slush. I recommend using a Velcro strap over the top just Incase they pop off in snow or something

Offline J Ahlers

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Oct 13, 2018, 04:02 PM »
How do sires run? I have sire 11 pac boots, and I see that large fit 8.5 to 11 & xl fit 11 & up. Which would work best?

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #15 on: Oct 23, 2018, 11:41 AM »
I have xl Kahtoolas one pair of boots was a chore to get them stretched on. The other set were sorrel pack boots both size 12. On the second pair very loose. So if you are getting them locally I would go with large. If they are too small exchange them. Good luck and bring on the ice!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Oct 23, 2018, 12:45 PM »
There was a thread a couple of weeks back called "Kahtoolas versus their Knockoffs" which generated a fair amount of discussion and personal biases on Kahtoola brand cleats and their Chinese imitators. I think the consensus was that Kahtoolas are the gold standard but the knockoffs have their place due to costing about 2/3 less. Get something at any rate.

Personally, I think I'm going to be contrary and go with ice racing studs this year just to get away from that "Godzilla vs Tokyo" feeling I get trying to walk on Kahtoolas.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline diesel2012

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Oct 28, 2018, 09:19 PM »
I used to buy the cheap ones from Walmart and they worked well unless you do a lot of walking. You can definitely feel them in your legs and back after a whole day using them. I have since gone to yaktrax and love them. They've worked flawlessly on bare ice which is the only time I've needed cleats. After looking at the katoolas I'm simply amazed that anyone would need something that aggressive let alone pay that much for a set of ice cleats. Yaktrax are more than capable of getting the job done at 1/3 to 1/2 the price. This will be the 3rd year of using yaktrax and they are still holding up.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Oct 28, 2018, 11:54 PM »
I have owned a set of micro spikes now going on 9 years , when I got them there wasn’t any knock offs , but someone always sets a standard and others follow , if I was going to look at a cheap knock off id look at eagle claw

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Top 5 Pike:14-5,15-5,15-10,17-0,18-4, 2B cont.
« Reply #19 on: Nov 15, 2018, 03:26 PM »
I have been looking at cleats for years. I think I finally have a set that will make me happy. Earlier in this thread, Korkers were mentioned. I took a look at them on the Cabela's site and they looked fantastic. I ordered some and I have them at home already. They look like the perfect cleats. not too tall of spikes, and the spikes are spread out enough that they look comfy for walking all day, which I do until I find fish. I do everything on foot. They fit perfectly on my Muck boots too. I can't believe I can finally stop thinking about getting better cleats because I don't think I'll find a better design than these, and for $40.00.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

It was 12ICEFISH's post that I first saw them on, so thanks!

Offline jonnylaw

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Nov 20, 2018, 07:47 PM »
Corkers have worked great for me as well.

Offline Idahoice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Nov 20, 2018, 07:55 PM »
Korkers x2

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Nov 20, 2018, 07:59 PM »
I bought kahtoolas last year, great cleats.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 20, 2018, 08:08 PM »
I own the Korker’s Tundra Jacks and IceJacks.  They are are the best ice fishing boots made imho, but they are also quite expensive and not designed for the brutally cold.  The new boots are called Polar Vortex.

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline Bigben52

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Nov 26, 2018, 07:01 AM »
I just picked up a pair this year of the kahtooles and looking forward to using this year.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.