The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Quick strike rigs in VT?  (Read 2408 times)

Offline FishinDJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
Quick strike rigs in VT?
« on: Dec 14, 2017, 01:26 PM »
I've been curious to try some quick strike rigs for pike this season. The kind with 2 treble hooks. Over here in NH we cant bait a treble so I decided to double check the VT regs. The book defines a baited hook as "any hook with 1,2,or3 points". I called Fish & Wildlife and was informed that 2 hooks on a line were okay but it could not be 2 treble hooks. The gal didn't sound to sure of herself.....

Anyone have any input? Also any opinions using quick strikes vs a single hook for pike?

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
Re: Quick strike rigs in VT?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2017, 01:36 PM »
You don't need it.
If you release the fish it's another hook to remove and it's hard on the fish.
My opinion
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Smelty88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2017, 03:09 PM »
Caught the biggest pike of my life on 20lb mono and a regular hook!
Think I'm gettin abite my flag's twitchin
twitter@wefishing2day IG: Smelty88

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2017, 03:35 PM »
You don't need it.
If you release the fish it's another hook to remove and it's hard on the fish.
My opinion

I agree.  One single hook back of the dorsal fin.   Keep tipups close enough so that you can get to them quick enough to quickly set the hook.  If the hook has been swallowed , cut the line or keep the fish for dinner. 
Dick

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2017, 11:02 PM »
I agree.  One single hook back of the dorsal fin.   Keep tipups close enough so that you can get to them quick enough to quickly set the hook.  If the hook has been swallowed , cut the line or keep the fish for dinner. 
Dick

X3.  Even with larger dead baits. 

Offline FishinDJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2017, 07:00 PM »
Thanks for the tips guys. I ended up going with some pre made pike rigs I bought from a local bait shop last year. Nylon coated wire leader to a single 4/0 hook. I used them today, but I think I'll end doing some flouro leaders to a single hook in the near future. :tipup:

Offline LittleFishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2017, 07:32 AM »
This makes it sound like quickstrikes with 2 treble hooks are illegal. Does this mean VT is like Minnesota? Or did the girl have zero knowledge about what she was saying?
Load it, Drive it, Park it
Bait it, Jig it, Hook it
Catch it, Clean it, Cook it
Simply put just get out/ and do it

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • im a die hard ice fishing addict 'nuff said
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2017, 02:05 PM »
I used single hooks for ages and lost sooooo many fish switched to trebles and never looked back lot more hooked in the corner of the mouth and less gut hooks I thought pike set ups i.e two hooks a treble on one line a treble on another we're legal in Vt. I'd like clarification on this as well
i told myself id be back by 2 i guess i didnt factor in that the fish were biting

Offline williev18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2017, 03:18 PM »
"Ice Fishing

Ice fishing is fishing by means of hook and line in hand or attached to a rod, tip-up, jack or bob, where the angler is fishing through a hole in the ice, from the ice or on an object supported by the ice. Fishing by casting or trolling baited hooks, artificial flies or lures shall not be considered ice fishing. A person may take fish only by using not more than eight lines, except on Lake Champlain where no more than fifteen lines may be used. He or she must have immediate control over all lines. Each line may not have more than two baited hooks, or three artificial flies or two lures with or without bait. Six lines are allowed on the Connecticut River.

Catch and Release

Angling as explained elsewhere, except that fish must be released immediately where caught.

Fishing Tools

Baited Hook

A single shank hook with 1, 2 or 3 points that may be baited with natural or artificial bait or both."

As I read it you are allowed 2 baited hooks per line while ice fishing. A baited hook is defined as a hook with 1-2-or three points, therefore you are allowed 2 trebel hooks on one line. Ive used quick strikes in Vt with good resuts, but got sick of changing every time i went to the CT river so i just use circle hooks all the time now.

Offline pocrain

• IceShanty Rookie
  • A wet line is a good line!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 18, 2017, 06:10 AM »
  Thank you for that complete, straight forward answer.
     I was very interested in this. Just good info to have.
                                                            Hope to get on the ice soon.
                                                              Merry Christmas

Offline dbldnii

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 20, 2017, 01:56 PM »
I use quick strike more for derbies so I don't lose a pike.  I also have pike tip-ups rigged with circle hooks.  it will get them in the corner of the mouth and they can be released unharmed.
Fish on

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2017, 02:06 PM »
"Ice Fishing

Ice fishing is fishing by means of hook and line in hand or attached to a rod, tip-up, jack or bob, where the angler is fishing through a hole in the ice, from the ice or on an object supported by the ice. Fishing by casting or trolling baited hooks, artificial flies or lures shall not be considered ice fishing. A person may take fish only by using not more than eight lines, except on Lake Champlain where no more than fifteen lines may be used. He or she must have immediate control over all lines. Each line may not have more than two baited hooks, or three artificial flies or two lures with or without bait. Six lines are allowed on the Connecticut River.

Catch and Release

Angling as explained elsewhere, except that fish must be released immediately where caught.

Fishing Tools

Baited Hook

A single shank hook with 1, 2 or 3 points that may be baited with natural or artificial bait or both."

As I read it you are allowed 2 baited hooks per line while ice fishing. A baited hook is defined as a hook with 1-2-or three points, therefore you are allowed 2 trebel hooks on one line. Ive used quick strikes in Vt with good resuts, but got sick of changing every time i went to the CT river so i just use circle hooks all the time now.

The language "must have immediate control over all lines" is interesting to me. I'll have to check NY regs to see if there is similar language. What does that mean? I have been on trips where the group has tip ups 100+ yards away from home base. I don't think i would have considered them to be in my "immediate" control.

Thoughts?

Offline williev18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 20, 2017, 02:19 PM »
I have heard of guys getting cought on that one if they took more than 15min to tend to a flag that was up. You could get away with a distant tip up if you can clearly see the flag and get to it in a reasonable amount of time.

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 20, 2017, 02:22 PM »
I have heard of guys getting cought on that one if they took more than 15min to tend to a flag that was up. You could get away with a distant tip up if you can clearly see the flag and get to it in a reasonable amount of time.

thanks for the insight. my issue would be clearly seeing the flag more than the amount of time it would take to get there. i do carry binocs but rarely have to use them

Offline Little Brown Dog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • My fishing partner
« Reply #14 on: Dec 20, 2017, 02:57 PM »
NEW in this year's book.  A person ice fishing shall be able to visually observe lines they operate.  Any line that indicates a fish shall be tended within 30 minutes.

"My biggest worry is that when I die, my wife will sell all of my ice fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it"

Offline dbldnii

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 20, 2017, 03:14 PM »
30 minutes is plenty of time if you plan on keeping the fish and dissecting the hook out. 
Fish on

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 20, 2017, 03:32 PM »
30 minutes is plenty of time if you plan on keeping the fish and dissecting the hook out.
Sometimes I see flags up for so long I wonder if they are waiting for the hook to come out of the other end of the fish.

Offline dbldnii

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 20, 2017, 03:34 PM »
must be during nap time
Fish on

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Dec 21, 2017, 05:17 AM »
Thanks for the tips guys. I ended up going with some pre made pike rigs I bought from a local bait shop last year. Nylon coated wire leader to a single 4/0 hook. I used them today, but I think I'll end doing some flouro leaders to a single hook in the near future. :tipup:

I have seen more than a couple 40" pike slice 80lb floro.. so I dont use it and I catch just as many using wire as guys using floro...but with 0 bite offs. 

Offline FishinDJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 21, 2017, 07:08 PM »
I have seen more than a couple 40" pike slice 80lb floro.. so I dont use it and I catch just as many using wire as guys using floro...but with 0 bite offs.

I ran flouro and my buddy had wire the other day. There was a 45 minute flag fest early in the day and then nothing. We both caught 4 a piece in that time frame so I'm not as concerned about line shyness...at least on that pond...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.