Author Topic: Flasher  (Read 3415 times)

Offline Icebyrd

• IceShanty Rookie
Flasher
« on: Dec 13, 2017, 06:22 PM »
Hi there everyone with this cold weather starting I’m getting excited anyway I think this might be the year to invest in a flasher really liking the vexilar fl18 propack any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Tia   ??? :tipup:

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Flasher
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2017, 07:00 PM »
Garmin is making some kickass ice fishing units now
Go big or go home

Offline fishndog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2017, 07:07 PM »
There are many good units out these days. I have a Vex and love it. Read up and talk with others on the ice. It`s a great tool. Good luck
Enjoy, Be Smart, and Tight Lines!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2017, 07:08 PM »
Hi there everyone with this cold weather starting I’m getting excited anyway I think this might be the year to invest in a flasher really liking the vexilar fl18 propack any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Tia   ??? :tipup:

Great unit ...but some debate about the Proview transducer .Good luck with your purchase.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2017, 07:32 PM »
I've got the humminbird ice 35. For what I do I have no complaints
The BIG one is just one flag away!

Species caught : largemouth, smallmouth,  bluegill, perch, White perch, crappie, trout, catfish, bowfin, pickerel, pike

-Ryan-

Offline bob48

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2017, 07:36 PM »
I have a Marcum Lx7, love it!

Offline lostbrit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2017, 07:36 PM »
Cough cough vex cough cough  ;)

Offline metalfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2017, 07:47 PM »
I have fished with the original showdown and now a Fl 8 se vex and have used a marcum vx7. All great units ! For me it all depends on how much green backs you got to spend

Offline That Guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2017, 08:27 PM »
Have fished with or next to all of the different brands I use humminbird for no other reason than that's what I bought for my first so that's what I continued to buy never had a issue with any of my or my buddy's hummingbirds  and we are not easy on gear mine have tumbled across the ice and down ramps more than once. If I were to change brands I would probably go marcum without a LCD display not that there's anything wrong with them I just prefer the plain old style. Just play with all the different brands at cabelas or something and whichever sticks out as the one you like will serve the purpose of what you want it to do all the companies make very comparable products.

Offline JPG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2017, 08:35 PM »
I have a vex.  I was brought into ice fishing with one.  It would have been a marcum if the guy who brought me into the sport had a marcum. I think they all work, i wss just familiar with the vex....and i do love it. It's a ford/Chevy debate.  Go to the store, play and pick the the one you think is the prettiest.  You won't go wrong.
"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway."

Offline Flatland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2017, 09:43 PM »
Icebyrd - you NEED a flasher. It will completely transform your experience on the ice. I use a Vexilar FL-8 and it works just fine. I guarantee if you get one you will never in a million years go back.

Offline Flatland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2017, 09:44 PM »
Also, make sure you get the Genz Pack

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 14, 2017, 05:30 AM »
It will completely transform your experience on the ice.

This is the truth! As you can see, everybody has their favorite brand but nobody says they wished they didn't have one. FWIW, I like Marcum, I use the LX-7 now and had good luck with the Showdown before they came out with the LX-7. As others suggested, take a look at some different units, keeping in mind the size of your wallet.

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Work was made for people who can't fish, I'm retir
« Reply #13 on: Dec 14, 2017, 07:48 AM »
Last yr. I bought the ice ducer for my Helix 7, Works great in the boat as well as on the ice more bang for your $

Offline deeej3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 14, 2017, 09:07 AM »
I, as well as most of my buddies prefer marcum. I bought the m1 and it's plenty capable, I really don't think you need to spend 500+ dollars on a flasher. It definitely helps to find fish and will help u catch them too as you can figure out what draws the bite more quickly, totally changed how  my brother and I fish now. The m1s are on sale for 300$ right now too, I highly suggest making the investment.
Rippin Lips

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Dec 14, 2017, 12:48 PM »
Needing a flasher is a subjective thing.  Give me a  shallow weedbed, a dark shanty and some time...my eyes can still see fish bite!

Offline onestring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 14, 2017, 01:06 PM »
Needing a flahser is a subjective thing.  Give me a  shallow weedbed, a dark shanty and some time...my eyes can still see fish bite!

lol have you ever fished with a flasher sound like you haven't I bet if you did you wouldn't be talking like that was fishing erie walleyes a few years ago I was with a group of guys half had flashers half didn't the half that didn't didn't have any eyes on the ice cuz once the fish came in if you didn't get them to chase it up they would not hit now if you don't know there is fish below you don't know when to make them  chase deffinitly a game changer

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 14, 2017, 01:20 PM »
Onestring, I think lowaccord will agree with you regarding the need for electronics for deep fish. His point was regarding areas where you can sight fish in a dark shanty, which is a lot of fun. Low definitely has "flahsers" and knows how to use them, he just doesn't use spell check. LOL! Sorry jon.  ;)

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #18 on: Dec 14, 2017, 02:19 PM »
I own a Marcum Lx3tci and a Humminbird Ice45. I prefer the Marcum but both are flashers regardless of preference. If you like to jig or want to get into jigging it is an absolute game changer. Even more so depending on the type of fish you are targeting (schooling or cruising). My #1 reason for using a flasher is it allows me to find fish without even having to drop a line down the hole. Saving time = more fishing time where the fish actually are.
Just add water.

Offline fishville

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 14, 2017, 02:55 PM »
A flasher is an absolute game changer. I have an FL-8 and can't say anything bad about. Especially because I bought it on clearance for a steal. I will say that if I had to pay full price I would get a Marcum lx1 if I was dead set on a true flasher. I'm of the opinion also that if I replace it I'm going to a Garmin Striker or Lowrance fish finder with a digital flasher.
Sometimes it feels like I live in a Pat McManus story!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Dec 14, 2017, 05:29 PM »
Onestring, I think lowaccord will agree with you regarding the need for electronics for deep fish. His point was regarding areas where you can sight fish in a dark shanty, which is a lot of fun. Low definitely has "flahsers" and knows how to use them, he just doesn't use spell check. LOL! Sorry jon.  ;)

Yes my spelling is terrible....but I did indeed use a flasher Sunday...60 or so lakers last year, would curse at my vex if they could talk....

Offline halfhooked

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • anything more would be shopping
« Reply #21 on: Dec 14, 2017, 06:12 PM »
to steal a line from my friend fishing machine i would rather fish without hooks than fish with out my flasher

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Dec 14, 2017, 07:14 PM »
to steal a line from my friend fishing machine i would rather fish without hooks than fish with out my flasher

That spot should be ready if you are. 

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #23 on: Dec 14, 2017, 07:29 PM »
Started out with a fish finder I jury rigged for ice fishing. Upgraded to a Vex se. Thr Vexilar is still running strong with my wife's nephew. I had a Humminbird 597 I ran on my Kayak and on ice. Just sold that to get the ice set up for a Helix G2 I ran this summer. I love having charts with my spots on it. I have seen contour lines that I know should hold fish and am able to walk to the spot with confidence and drill my holes right where I want to be.  Just a matter of how much are you willing to spend. An FL 8 or showdown are all you really need. Everything else is fluff.

Offline P and j outdoors

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 15, 2017, 08:36 AM »
I love my vexlar fl-18 pro pack like the quick depth screen the bottom zoom and if u fish any shallow water the low power feture is great in weedy conditions

When that ice get a poppin the jigs get a droppin ❄🎣❤

Offline Icebyrd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 16, 2017, 10:01 PM »
Thanks for all the great input after searching got the hummingbird ice now can’t wait for it to come in should be here next week  :o :o

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #26 on: Dec 17, 2017, 05:57 AM »
Congrats! You just entered a new world of ice fishing.
Just add water.

Offline 4ssss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 17, 2017, 03:40 PM »
lol have you ever fished with a flasher sound like you haven't I bet if you did you wouldn't be talking like that was fishing erie walleyes a few years ago I was with a group of guys half had flashers half didn't the half that didn't didn't have any eyes on the ice cuz once the fish came in if you didn't get them to chase it up they would not hit now if you don't know there is fish below you don't know when to make them  chase deffinitly a game changer

I love this guy.  If you don't think this guy knows how to fish, just look at the almost 6,000 posts lowaccord already has.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #28 on: Dec 18, 2017, 05:44 AM »
I love this guy.  If you don't think this guy knows how to fish, just look at the almost 6,000 posts lowaccord already has.

Haha!  Some of the words are junk but there are a few pictures!

My point is, you have to understand where the fish are.  Just owning a flasher and making swiss cheese out of a lake may help you catch a few...but its no substitute for having a solid understanding of the behaviours of the species you are after.  Ive watched a more than a few search all day...making hole after hole...drill, look with flasher, drill look with flasher, all day.  (I think many of us have been that person once or twice) 

Offline MartyMarPlv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 18, 2017, 07:59 PM »
I love my Vex fl-20! once you learn to fish with a flasher you'll never go out without it. Definitely worth every penny. I do like the low power mode feature for shallow weedy spots. If I'm on low power I can fish all day long and still have 90% battery left. Also, I once had a question about the battery so I called vexilar directly and within a couple minutes I was speaking with one of the guys about my model. Customer service was fast and knowledgeable.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.