Author Topic: slow cutting kdrill  (Read 12430 times)

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: slow cutting kdrill
« Reply #30 on: Jan 19, 2018, 11:30 AM »
just tried my 8in kdrill connected to my clam conversion plate using the ridged brushless drill. It was about 20deg. out . And was about 8in of black ice. As I was drilling the drill would stop and felt like it was taking a long time to cut one hole . As I got to my 3rd hole my battery went dead . Wow . this was very disappointing. I switched to my back up battery , both are the better ones to 18volt. I was able to get 2 more holes again before the 2nd battery went dead to. I put the battery in my pocket and seemed to warm them up . and was able to punch out another 2 holes. But did not have this problem last year when I had it hook to my 6in finbore . That had no problems cutting holes and could cut many off one battery. 
Just thinking the kdrill is not worth the money .Keeps stopping many times while cutting . Whats up with this. Should I RETURN IT ?
. Which ridgid drill do you have? How much torque does it put  out? Lots more power needed going from a 6" auger to a 8" ( 7 1/2" k-drill )

Offline adksmitty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 19, 2018, 12:32 PM »
I will have to look when I get home to see what one I got. But I know that I got the best one that they had last year . Will get back to ya., thanks.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Jan 19, 2018, 02:10 PM »
your battery dying after 2 holes isn't a kdrill problem. 

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #33 on: Jan 19, 2018, 02:16 PM »
Went out today and drilled 22 holes in 8" of ice with the Nero Mini 7" which is 7 3/8" and used 1 bar on my Ridgid.
<===Lefty===

Offline adksmitty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 21, 2018, 07:17 PM »
I will have to look when I get home to see what one I got. But I know that I got the best one that they had last year . Will get back to ya., thanks.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #35 on: Jan 21, 2018, 07:27 PM »

Are you using ....Speed 1 and drill mode...also are the batteries firmly in place ...had to slam my batteries in on my first outing as the drill would cut a hole or two then stop ...thought  it was overheating...also noticed the U bolt nut/knobs need tightening at times .Dewalt 995 Clam Plate atop a 8" Kdrill is my set up.

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #36 on: Jan 21, 2018, 08:18 PM »
My question would be if he has batteries that are larger then 2ah.......With a Chipper blade it is going to take more tourque to turn and a large batter that can handle the needed surge for power......a 2ah isn't the best choice.....4ah or larger batteries would help.

Offline adksmitty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 22, 2018, 08:28 AM »
My question would be if he has batteries that are larger then 2ah.......With a Chipper blade it is going to take more tourque to turn and a large batter that can handle the needed surge for power......a 2ah isn't the best choice.....4ah or larger batteries would help.
Drill is set on speed 1 and set on drill too. I did notice the drill stopping a few times and battery getting warm. I did notice battery no in all the way too. That was after the 2 nd hole,,, will be going out again wed.  Will see how it goes this time keeping the battery warm in my pocket instead of in the pail on way out.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #38 on: Jan 22, 2018, 09:02 AM »
Drill is set on speed 1 and set on drill too. I did notice the drill stopping a few times and battery getting warm. I did notice battery no in all the way too. That was after the 2 nd hole,,, will be going out again wed.  Will see how it goes this time keeping the battery warm in my pocket instead of in the pail on way out.

I didn't see the battery capacity ...yeah bigger batteries will solve the problem I am quite certain

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #39 on: Jan 22, 2018, 09:49 AM »
The K-Drill’s best quality is its weight.  Beyond that, there are far better choices if you don’t mind carrying a few extra pounds.  I was as a huge proponent of the K-Drill until I actuallly used it.  Not so much now.   You sacrifice a lot for the light weight.

DN

Fun fact: The 50$ 6in Mora with the 12in HT Drill Adapter weighs the exact same as the 6in Kdrill..5lbs..
It also cuts better, replacement blades are cheaper, blades can be sharpened anywhere, and u have the handle to stash in your car incase the drill craps out.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Jan 22, 2018, 10:44 AM »
I am sooooo disappointed that my K-Drill is 0.75 seconds slower than most other augers. Really puts me into a deep depression.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #41 on: Jan 22, 2018, 11:06 AM »
I am sooooo disappointed that my K-Drill is 0.75 seconds slower than most other augers. Really puts me into a deep depression.
Your going to make me.

<===Lefty===

Offline motocross269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 22, 2018, 11:07 AM »
Fun fact: The 50$ 6in Mora with the 12in HT Drill Adapter weighs the exact same as the 6in Kdrill..5lbs..
It also cuts better, replacement blades are cheaper, blades can be sharpened anywhere, and u have the handle to stash in your car incase the drill craps out.

If you have done a side by side comparison of the two cutting I sure would like to see it..... ;)  I have a Kdrill, Mora and a Lazer and I don't see it that way at all...but I haven't done a side by side cutting comparison of all 3 at the same time in the same conditions...

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Jan 22, 2018, 11:09 AM »
yeah i don't get needing a drill to be 3 seconds faster than another drill.  even if your drilled 50 holes an outing, we are talking 2-3 minutes out of a day of fishing. 

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #44 on: Jan 22, 2018, 11:22 AM »
If you have done a side by side comparison of the two cutting I sure would like to see it..... ;)  I have a Kdrill, Mora and a Lazer and I don't see it that way at all...but I haven't done a side by side cutting comparison of all 3 at the same time in the same conditions...
Even a side by side comparison doesn't make it true. I have watched a lot of those on youtube and you never know if one is dual and the other is sharp other than the people saying so. And I see a lot of those videos where the winning auger is drilling straight down and the other guy is drilling crooked.  I don't think half of those guys posting videos even look at there own videos to see how stupid it looks. 
<===Lefty===

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #45 on: Jan 22, 2018, 11:42 AM »

The point is, one is 50$ the other is 250$ and there is virtually no difference in performance or weight. The only other things you can factor are price, replacement blade prices, sharpening availability, and practicality if the drill has issues. The 50$ Mora comes out ahead in all those categories and is 200$ cheaper.. The Kdrill does look cooler tho..

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Jan 22, 2018, 12:16 PM »
And reopens old holes better. Chipper blades.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Jan 22, 2018, 01:20 PM »
It's no secret that a shaver type blade is less agressive and will drill more holes on a battery charge than a chipper blade.  Speed and number of holes drilled shoudn't be the only deciding factors.  You need to consider weight (8" vs 8" and whether or not you will be using a clam plate)  you need to consider redrilling old holes and maybe using it on dirty ice and how much of ice you are drilling (extension).    This guy does a good jog of doing a simple demo and describing the pros/cons of each.  There are instances when a shave blade is preferred and others when a chipper works better.   If you are looking to save a few bucks and just want to make some holes, I think the best value is a good ol hand auger with a drill attachment and device to keep it from falling through the hole.   If you want to step it up and still use a shaver, get a nils and if you want a chipper get a kdrill.    Be sure to not cheap out on the drill/battery and you wont' be disappointed with your auger selection. 

Offline adksmitty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Jan 22, 2018, 01:51 PM »
Looks to be I will have to dish out $100 for a 5ah battery for my rigdid brushless 18volt hammer drill,, wich came with 2 batteries that was 2ah

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #49 on: Jan 22, 2018, 01:53 PM »
Very good review. I don't have the Clam Plate and was thinking about getting one. Not anymore.
<===Lefty===

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #50 on: Jan 22, 2018, 01:55 PM »
You need to consider weight (8" vs 8" and whether or not you will be using a clam plate)  you need to consider redrilling old holes and maybe using it on dirty ice and how much of ice you are drilling (extension). 

The 6in Kdrill weighs the same as a 6in Mora with the 12in ext. Looking online, the 8in Kdrill is 7lbs and the 8in Mora is 8lbs. As for opening old holes. I have never seen anyone do that, im not even sure why you would.. Who know whats frozen in there (beer can, stick, fish, rocks)..

In that video, he was punching holes about 3 seconds faster with the Mora (7sec vs 10sec). Thats 3 seconds less work on the drill/battery per hole = More holes and less wear and tear on the drill.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Jan 22, 2018, 01:55 PM »
Looks to be I will have to dish out $100 for a 5ah battery for my rigdid brushless 18volt hammer drill,, wich came with 2 batteries that was 2ah

The 5ah are slightly questionable, I highly recommend the 2 4ah for $99....

<°)))>{

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #52 on: Jan 22, 2018, 02:01 PM »
Very good review. I don't have the Clam Plate and was thinking about getting one. Not anymore.

Check out the Ice Kicker II on ebay, its like the clam plate only the guy also has a gear reduction box built into it. Pretty sweet.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Jan 22, 2018, 02:08 PM »
The 6in Kdrill weighs the same as a 6in Mora with the 12in ext. Looking online, the 8in Kdrill is 7lbs and the 8in Mora is 8lbs. As for opening old holes. I have never seen anyone do that, im not even sure why you would.. Who know whats froen in there (beer can, stick, fish, rocks)..

In that video, he was punching holes about 3 seconds faster with the Mora.

Another thing, he was lifting to clear chips with the Kdrill, and not with the Mora, at least what I saw..

Also the Mora obviously got more holes, what he didn't mention was the Mora was actually making bigger holes..

8" Mora without any plate, extension, or hand crank, weighs in at just under four pounds...

Its also lighter than a 7.5" Kdrill bit...

After adding an extension, my Mora now weighs closer to three pounds. Yep, she lost almost a pound (little bit of work involved)

<°)))>{

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #54 on: Jan 22, 2018, 02:14 PM »
8" Mora without any plate, extension, or hand crank, weighs in at just under four pounds...
<°)))>{

Wow!! So if u add a 12in HT Ext to the 8in  mora, it weighs less than the 8in Kdrill.. To funny lol

PS:  Your setup is AWESOME!! Is that gear reduction box the new one from clam or home made?
Double PS.. Im super jealous of that setup..

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Jan 22, 2018, 02:36 PM »
As for opening old holes. I have never seen anyone do that, im not even sure why you would.. Who know whats frozen in there (beer can, stick, fish, rocks)..

You've never seen anyone who fishes in a hardside?
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #56 on: Jan 22, 2018, 02:41 PM »
You've never seen anyone who fishes in a hardside?

Why would you need an ultralight drill auger if your fishing in a cabin on the ice all day lol..

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Jan 22, 2018, 02:42 PM »
Sorry to be objective, clearly you guys know what's best for everyone.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Jan 22, 2018, 02:55 PM »

PS:  Your setup is AWESOME!! Is that gear reduction box the new one from clam or home made?
Double PS.. Im super jealous of that setup..

Thanks, that aluminum gear box is the one Clam sent to replace the first generation plastic ones they recalled...

So far it's exactly what I was hoping for...

I've ran a brushed Ridgid straight to a 6" Mora for a number of seasons without any difficulties... I reduced the flights on my 6" a while back. It was an attempt to reduce friction from the sides of the hole when we were dealing with over 30" of ice.. It worked out great. An 8" Mora won't rub the sides of the hole because the flights are 7", which makes it a lighter too...

Here's a picture of my 6" modded and my 8" before...

One thing I still fail to understand, is why the Kdrill has all those flights, with you have to lift it out to clear the chips anyway???

<°)))>{

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Jan 22, 2018, 02:56 PM »
Why would you need an ultralight drill auger if your fishing in a cabin on the ice all day lol..

Because I also fish mobile and I don't want two augers. I have the same kit for fishing mobile that I do for the hardside. Nothing stays in my hardside because it all gets stolen all the time, it comes off the ice every night and I want a nice light auger. Someday when you are more experienced at fishing you might understand lol

One thing I still fail to understand, is why the Kdrill has all those flights, with you have to lift it out to clear the chips anyway???

<°)))>{

I don't understand why they tell you to do that, I never have and it's not been a problem

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.