The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Ion or K drill  (Read 4972 times)

Offline suckerbait

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ion or K drill
« on: Dec 05, 2017, 03:50 PM »
Here is the deal, my dad is 74 and still ice fishes daily and mostly solo. Almost exclusively jigs. Fishes lake trout and would prefer an 8 inch hole. He likes to run and gun and a power or hand auger is starting to get tough for him. He has also lost some strength and isn't as strong as he used to be. Family looking to get him an auger for Christmas. In your opinion which one would be lighter and easier to operate for a 74 year old that fishes daily and not getting any younger or stronger?
Thanks in advance

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ion or K drill
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2017, 03:55 PM »
i love my kdrill/milwaukee but it can get torqueee

i've used an ion once and it would be i feel easier on yrou father.  you could put a clam plate on the kdrill set up but i think the ion is what i'd recommend. 

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2017, 04:41 PM »
I've never ran a Nils but everything I've read they cut the easiest...

I recommend the Nils on a clam plate with the Milwaukee..

<°)))>{

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2017, 05:22 PM »
HE will have no issue running the Ion.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2017, 05:33 PM »
Nils  8” Hand Auger, Clam Plate/Adapter and Milwaukee 2703-22or 2704-22.  Very, VERY hard to beat for an older guy.  Light, powerful, fast, comfortable and smooth as silk.

DN

Ps.  Kudos to you and the rest of your family for trying to see that your father/husband/? can continue to enjoy the sport of ice fishing that he obviously loves.  You are my feel good of the day.  Thank you.  ;)
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline Northern_MN Outdoorsan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2017, 09:55 AM »
Go with the K Drill. They are 50% lighter and twice as fast as the Ion X. You can also reopen old froze over holes and drill connecting holes with the K Drill which the Ion cannot do. These are good options to have if you are fishing out of a permanent shack or if you do any spearing.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2017, 09:58 AM »
the IOn can absolutely open old holes...

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2017, 10:14 AM »
Not as easily with it's shaver blades. K Drill has chipper blades so their isn't any extra torque or binding as with the Ion shaver blades. Cannot drill connecting holes with the Ion either.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2017, 10:15 AM »
Not trying to be a jerk, but thats not true either.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 08, 2017, 10:19 AM »
There are posts all over the net that says it can and does happen.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Dec 08, 2017, 10:23 AM »
I would think weight is your biggest concern ...with the Kdrill ($249 for 8 in)..you'll need a good drill ...Milwaukee 2703/2704 or Dewalt 996 ($250-$300)...options to add to that are the Clam Plate ($70)...and you'll need an adapter($16)..so the price can add up pretty quickly...overall its very light...

Ion 21lbs....https://www.amazon.com/19150-amp-hour-Electric-8-Inch-Reverse/dp/B00LDYHO3S

Strikemaster 24 lbs   http://www.basspro.com/shop/en/strikemaster-lithium-40v-ice-auger
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #11 on: Dec 08, 2017, 10:36 AM »
There are posts all over the net that says it can and does happen.
great...ill just go with first hand experience that proves otherwise.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 08, 2017, 10:53 AM »
Sweet. I'll continue to use the one that doesn't have broken blade issues, auger ice up issues, is half the weight, and cuts twice as fast.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #13 on: Dec 08, 2017, 10:55 AM »
Dude, we get you dig your kdrill but theres no point to make up issues with the Ion that dont exist just because your a fan boy of the Kdrill....

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 08, 2017, 11:02 AM »
May not have happened to you personally, but still doesn't mean they don't happen. A simple search on the internet proves otherwise. I remember the Ion X auger bit ice up was all the rage last winter. Didn't they basically have to recall all augers and send out new ones for the Ion X's last winter? I believe they did. Broken blades was also a big issue on here last winter as well. https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=330974.0

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #15 on: Dec 08, 2017, 11:13 AM »
dont know what to tell you. They re-drill old holes, they drill connecting holes, drilled thousands of holes with nothing breaking...
The cool thing about internet searches you can find exactly what you want every single time. On both sides of the coin.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 08, 2017, 11:23 AM »
If you want the lightest, 8" bit get a Mora...

They're also the most affordable, and easiest to get blades for...

The 8" Mora is even lighter than the 7.5" K drill..

<°)))>{

Offline JaminWI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 08, 2017, 11:32 AM »
Sorry, have no input...

I really just wanted to say I hope/wish/pray that I'm in as good as shape and healthy enough at 74 to be asking these questions.  Kudos to him!!

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 08, 2017, 11:39 AM »
clam plate with a mora, no torque and the plate gives you a comfortable hand placement. If he already has a decent drill its a relatively cheap set up and pretty light weight. Also add an extension on the auger so there less bending over. Great to hear he is still out on the ice and active.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 08, 2017, 12:30 PM »
dont know what to tell you. They re-drill old holes, they drill connecting holes, drilled thousands of holes with nothing breaking...
The cool thing about internet searches you can find exactly what you want every single time. On both sides of the coin.

That's one thing I've never seen is a broken blade on any auger. I've seen them dull and beat up chipped even....never busted/broken/snapped. I'd like to see one of these "broken/busted" blades. I've never seen one, and would like to know what the heck the hit when drilling to break a blade. I could see maybe even screw stripping out.......

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Dec 08, 2017, 01:29 PM »
That's one thing I've never seen is a broken blade on any auger. I've seen them dull and beat up chipped even....never busted/broken/snapped. I'd like to see one of these "broken/busted" blades. I've never seen one, and would like to know what the heck the hit when drilling to break a blade. I could see maybe even screw stripping out.......
I bought one of the Eskimo Silvertip augers a few years ago. Second trip out one blade broke in half. I contacted Eskimo and they sent me some Turbo blades as a replacement. I called them back and they said they sent them by mistake but to go ahead and use them. Then they sent me out another set for the silvertip. They also had me send them the broken blade so they could figure out what happened to it.  The turbo blades don't fix flush but worked good.
<===Lefty===

Offline BH2

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont wish your life away!
« Reply #21 on: Dec 08, 2017, 01:42 PM »
As an ION owner I have no complaints,wouldnt be a bad auger for older people. On that note I personally think a K drill with clam plate would be the best option in this case. JMO

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 10, 2017, 09:53 AM »
My 8" K-Drill (actually cuts a 7 1/4" hole) arrived Friday and am using it on a DeWalt 996 hammer drill (also new). This configuration is a beast, much like a very sharp Jiffy and not for the faint of heart. I had used a 6" Mora on the drill which is also very light and fast drilling while somewhat less aggressive (smaller hole) ... but definitely NOT for re-drilling holes, which is my primary requirement.

I'm a senior, but a couple of more 'elderly' acquaintances don't seem to have any problem with an 8" ION other than starting holes (no center point).
Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Offline suckerbait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 13, 2017, 10:55 AM »
Thanks for the feedeback. The current plan is to convert his current blue 8 " nils to drill power with a clam plate for him. With attaching the nils to clam plate do I need an adapter?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.