Author Topic: Burn Barrel on Skis  (Read 1826 times)

Offline deeej3

• IceShanty Rookie
Burn Barrel on Skis
« on: Dec 05, 2017, 11:54 AM »
I'd like to build a "burn barrel" if u will, on Skis. I've got a metal 55 gallon drum I cut in half with holes in the sides, and an old pair of skis. Trying to figure out the best way to fix the barrel to the skis with legs. I have a welder so I can weld some metal legs on but then what? Obviously I don't want to nut and bolt strips of metal through the skis and have the nut/bolt dragging on the ice below the face of the skis... Any ideas? Im sure this has been done before
Rippin Lips

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Burn Barrel on Skis
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2017, 12:28 PM »
Maybe a smitty sled would work. Just put the barrel on it when you get to the lake instead of permanently affixing it.

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=103927.msg1014539#msg1014539

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2017, 01:16 PM »
counter sink the holes for bolts and then fill the voids or use carriage bolts that have no edges or use both.

Offline androux

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2017, 04:24 PM »
Haha, should have just texted me, pretty sure you've seen mine. Maybe you didn't since it just about blew off Mt. Tom that day. I'm on my third one now, learned some stuff in the process, next time we fish I can share some of the things I figured out. Having a welder is key, made my last frame out of threaded iron rod, if the threads were tack welded, it would be nearly indestructible. Replacing my barrel this season, if there is anything to fish the 16th I'll meet up with you.
A smart person would watch the few that ventured to the ice sheet, the daring would follow in their boot prints, but the pioneers would already be heading to where they belong.

Offline deeej3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2017, 09:14 AM »
I forgot you had that one Andrew! Ill shoot you a text today. I thought about countersinking but I was afraid the skis would be too thin and it would break off. I definitely want something more permanent though that I can just drag around and throw in the back of the pickup
Rippin Lips

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2017, 09:36 AM »
I would think a Smitty sled ...and lag bolt to the cross braces 4 blocks that would allow the barrel to stand upright between the blocks atop the cross braces for usage on the ice and movement when things get sloppy/soupy  ...but can be laid down between the blocks and ratchet strapped down for transport .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2017, 10:17 AM »
Haha, should have just texted me, pretty sure you've seen mine. Maybe you didn't since it just about blew off Mt. Tom that day. I'm on my third one now, learned some stuff in the process, next time we fish I can share some of the things I figured out. Having a welder is key, made my last frame out of threaded iron rod, if the threads were tack welded, it would be nearly indestructible. Replacing my barrel this season, if there is anything to fish the 16th I'll meet up with you.

How about sharing with everybody?  I'd like to see it.  I'm thinking about doing something similar.  I actually have a propane fire pit with lava rocks in it.  I want to be able to pull the pit and tank on skis.  Gonna get a splitter for the line too so I can grill also.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2017, 10:50 AM »
I saw one years ago. The guy split the barrel length wise and put hinges on it and welded legs to both sides with wood planks as skies. He would drag it out with his quad. It would be loaded with all his gear and a load of wood and charcoal and plenty of food and beer. When he set it up he would set a fire in one side and lay a board over the other side as a work top.

Offline androux

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2017, 10:07 AM »
Pretty pumped that the picture adding options have been streamlined, if I'm not wrong, I think it is an updated interface from last winter. Hope it works.

Have a replacement barrel lined up, got a few projects in the basement I have to finish before I can haul the Ski Bum III downstairs for a seasonal rebuild.
A smart person would watch the few that ventured to the ice sheet, the daring would follow in their boot prints, but the pioneers would already be heading to where they belong.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2017, 08:01 AM »
Heated Smitty!!! Perfect!!

Offline mookie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2017, 10:42 PM »
My buddy made one out of an old push mower and a washing machine drum. Take the dead motor off the push mower and put the the drum on the top. Take your skis and screw them up through the skis and into the plastic tires. You can use the handle to move it around because it doesn't get to hot. In the off season he unscrews it and pushes it  around the yard burning sticks cleaning up the yard and staying warm. You can usually find dead mowers on the side of the road.

Offline fishoninct

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fishon and often. Leave no trace.
« Reply #11 on: Dec 14, 2017, 09:20 AM »
I built one out of an outdoor portable fire pit. Took off the wheels and put a grill grate on top. Mounted it to skis with carved wooden blocks that snap into the bindings on the skis. Now on version #3 as first two rusted beyond their useful like. Usually get 3-4 seasons out of it. Very helpful to have a side door to load wood because grill on top blocks that access. Also, door allows for very hot cooking zone with one of those baskets that has a clamp down top.

If you can't play nice, get off the ice!

Offline te-pe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 14, 2017, 04:49 PM »
hi yall...yep fishoninct has it down...got his train o sleds in tow...i cant wait to see `new and improved version....i think i smell bacon right now.Hope to get out by end of year..be safe everybody

Offline deeej3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 15, 2017, 06:57 AM »
Push mower version is innovative. I like fishon's idea. I never through of making wood blocks snap into the bindings. I haven't had a chance to build mine yet... Been finishing out pheasant season and doing Jeep stuff.
Rippin Lips

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.