The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Georgetown lake  (Read 8364 times)

Offline missoulaicebeerdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
Georgetown lake
« on: Dec 02, 2017, 03:56 PM »

12/1/17 and 12/2/17.  Just got back from Georgetown.  Really quality ice 6-7" thick and non-stop acton at sunup, but steady until noon.  At sunrise we were constantly tending to the jaw-jackers and could barley get away to jig before the jacker got tripped again.  I'll take that problem any day.  Finally back on the ice!!!!

Offline quackpot

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Georgetown lake
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2017, 05:24 PM »
Congratulations on the catches, I hope we get ice this month.

Offline A1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2017, 05:57 PM »
Nice fish. Two or three more posts and the Ice conditions and reports board will be made available to you. Just inspired me to head out tomorrow.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2017, 06:37 PM »
Most excellent catches there missoulaicebeerdog !!  :thumbsup:

Hardwater pics can be posted here --- https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=63435.0

Looks like 1 more post then you'll have access to the "Montana Fishing Reports & Conditions" section. Here you will find a seperate thread for almost all lakes throughout the state & you can post your detailed fishing reports along with ice/weather conditions.

Your seasons off to a great start.....Thanks for sharing the pics & welcome to the best forum on the infonet !!

Offline rkymtnfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2017, 09:22 PM »
Nice post missoulaicebeerdog.... ... glad to hear there is good ice...... heading there his week. hoping to find some kokes. care to share where you were on the lake.... thanks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2017, 09:30 PM »
I was fishing in the neighborhood of the pump station.  My original plan was to hit the trout the first day and the Kokes the second day, but having fished Georgetown quite extensively for 3 years, I never had the trout fishing on fire like that ever before, so the Kokenee fishing on day 2 went right out the window.  Please share how your Kokenee trip goes, as I am heading back out there next weekend.  Might give the bows' a break for a day and get some silvers on the ice.  Thanks!   

Offline smorfonzo76

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2017, 10:02 PM »
Nice pics!  Good to see the fishing is good.  I'm new to the lake and new to the forum.  We went out to Comers point on Sunday and did really well on the Kokes.  Between 3 of us between 8am-1pm we caught around 50 with 2 being rainbows.  Headed up again this weekend and would like to get more into the trout if anyone has tips it would be much appreciated.

Offline Wapiti406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2017, 04:30 AM »
Great pics, BeerDog!  I've been on the fence about going out this week.  Now I'm set on going out Thursday.  Hope to see you out there sometime.  Welcome to the Shanty!

Offline Wapiti406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2017, 05:00 AM »
Nice pics!  Good to see the fishing is good.  I'm new to the lake and new to the forum.  We went out to Comers point on Sunday and did really well on the Kokes.  Between 3 of us between 8am-1pm we caught around 50 with 2 being rainbows.  Headed up again this weekend and would like to get more into the trout if anyone has tips it would be much appreciated.
Most of the folks around here have the exact opposite problem; they are into the trout all day, but can't pick up the kokes.  Maribou jigs are usually a pretty safe bet.  GTL trout go nuts for corn.  If you keep after it, you'll find 'em.  Good luck out there.

Offline smorfonzo76

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2017, 03:31 PM »
Thanks for the help. Yeah I'd love to find some trout.  We caught all of our roughly 50 kokes in about 20 ft of water but most of the catches were right at the furthest point down to where you can still see the jig (maybe 5 feet or so under the ice).  We used a large Jensen Dodger flasher with a Size 10 Glow/Orange Ratfinkee Glow Brite topped with a maggot or two about 2 feet below the flasher .  I bet we missed 200 bites as they were all over it from about 8 am - 1 pm.  You couldn't really feel the take which is why we fished to where we could still see the Ratfinkee move every time we had a nibble.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #10 on: Dec 12, 2017, 05:42 PM »
more trout = fish in shallower water, preferably near weeds

Tinker

« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2017, 11:59 AM »
I agree shallower water for the trout.  I also seem to find the trout (at least the bigger ones) near or closer to the bottom when in deeper water. 

Offline Schweedish Pimple

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2017, 12:56 PM »
Thanks for the update cant wait to get up there!

Offline Chukfin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 14, 2017, 10:34 PM »
Nice, can't wait to get out.

Offline johnb812

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 14, 2017, 10:43 PM »
Planning on going up Tuesday. Anxious to try out my new Ion auger.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #15 on: Dec 15, 2017, 12:13 AM »
Planning on going up Tuesday. Anxious to try out my new Ion auger.

You'll love it !!

Offline smorfonzo76

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 15, 2017, 12:50 PM »
Great trout fishing this morning on about 10 inches of ice and 16 fow...non stop action and filled 2 limits being picky in about 2 hours.

Offline BonesJonesMT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 15, 2017, 03:57 PM »
Thanks for the update! Planning on heading that way this weekend or next. New to ice fishing last year, but love the sport. Whats a good bet for lots of action? Swedish pimples? Halis?

Offline BonesJonesMT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 15, 2017, 06:22 PM »
Thanks the for pm Jiggin the dream. I'm looking forward to getting out!!

Offline jigging the dream

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fishins' always good sometimes the catchin aint...
« Reply #19 on: Dec 15, 2017, 06:54 PM »
You bet. I hope you have a lot of luck!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 15, 2017, 09:38 PM »

Been using these with amazing results.  Limiting out (with discrimination) in 2 hours every time i've been out this season.  Ive gotten the majority of my hogs on the jawjacker.  I'm threading them with nightcrawlers and leaving a 1/4-1/2" tag end off the shank on the hook.  I've used slightly larger jigs to try to target the larger trout, but they all seem to prefer the smaller presentation.

Offline BonesJonesMT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 18, 2017, 12:02 PM »
Wow, they're taking the little guys! I'm not sure I would've ever tried anything that small, so thank you for the tip!!

Offline pmmpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 18, 2017, 03:04 PM »

Been using these with amazing results.  Limiting out (with discrimination) in 2 hours every time i've been out this season.  Ive gotten the majority of my hogs on the jawjacker.  I'm threading them with nightcrawlers and leaving a 1/4-1/2" tag end off the shank on the hook.  I've used slightly larger jigs to try to target the larger trout, but they all seem to prefer the smaller presentation.

Missoulaicebeerdog, I can't view the pictures you posted.  All that appears is a box with an "X" in it.  Can you describe what your lure looks like?

Offline BonesJonesMT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 18, 2017, 04:23 PM »

I screenshotted his post, hopefully this helps?

Offline G fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wish i was a fishing(Too slim n the traildragers)
« Reply #24 on: Dec 18, 2017, 05:23 PM »
pmmpete  top pic is Jammin jig Neon tiger. bottom pic looks to be lindy slick jig I think. hope that helps ya.
Team Ripp'n lips.
"Drink a little"
"Save a little"
"There will always be a Little".

Offline pmmpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 18, 2017, 07:03 PM »

I screenshotted his post, hopefully this helps?
Thanks, I can view the screen shot.  Where do you prefer to place these lures in the water? Near the bottom, in the middle, or a few feet below the ice?

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 20, 2017, 11:40 PM »
I keep my jigs two cranks off the bottom for the jawjacker.  On my jigging rod (with transducer) i keep it about 12-18" off the bottom and play the whole kitten and string game with them as they come in.  Goog luck!   

Offline BonesJonesMT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 21, 2017, 12:09 PM »
I'm really looking forward to getting into the bows this year at GT. I don't have a smoker or anything for the salmon :'(  I like to catch and release 90% and take a couple home to plate. Thanks to a graduation gift, I get to learn how to use a Vex finder w/ camera this year! PUMPED.

Offline Elkman918

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 30, 2017, 08:56 AM »
We have been catching a ton of bows so far. Been really good. Can’t seam to find the salmon though?!?!?!

Offline pmmpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 30, 2017, 12:18 PM »
What is the snow and slush situation on Georgetown Lake today?  And how are the roads?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.