The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: It happened today.  (Read 3519 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
It happened today.
« on: Nov 21, 2017, 10:36 PM »
Sold my Jiffy Model 30. Was the first and only gas auger I've ever owned. Clam plate nils was just to good with a Milwaukee drill to keep the gas around.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: It happened today.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2017, 10:44 PM »
Well my Eskimo has been getting less ice for sure...

I don't know if I feel bad for your loss, or want to say congrats.. Lol..

Kinda sentimental about my Eskimo.. Approaching 30 years now, always, always, has worked.. Year round..

She is still top notch for off season duty, fence post holes, decks and such... So gotta keep her till I'm no good, I guess...

<°)))>{

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2017, 07:55 AM »
although my 1971 jiffy 1 armed bandit hasn't seen much ice cutting the last few years its staying with me till I'm gone.i don't trust anybody to start/use it..its a true vintage beast of a ice auger that I can not get rid of.id get rid of my other china jiffys or pro4 lite before that one.lol.i still wish I never sold my Tecumseh powered jiffy legend lightning.that auger started no matter what. 

Offline rundrave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2017, 08:17 AM »
Agro, just curious what were you able to sell it for if willing to share? I am probably going all electric this year as well and pondering selling my model 30. I have had it for years though and its got some sentimental value I guess.

Also nothing beats the summer time blues than firing it up when its hot and humid just to smell the smoke and hear that pop, pop, poppop, pop pop

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2017, 08:31 AM »
Agro, just curious what were you able to sell it for if willing to share? I am probably going all electric this year as well and pondering selling my model 30. I have had it for years though and its got some sentimental value I guess.

Also nothing beats the summer time blues than firing it up when its hot and humid just to smell the smoke and hear that pop, pop, poppop, pop pop

It was cleaned up and I sold it with the extention, cold snap, spare chipper blade, and blade sharpener. Got $250 for it.

Offline rundrave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2017, 10:40 AM »
wow thats a great deal for you as a seller. Mine isnt pretty but runs like a top and starts first or 2nd pull. Just had a tune up on it a few years ago and fresh blades. I do have a modified cold snap cover also.

I was gonna list mine on CL for $180 and hope for $150 maybe I should raise my expectations. I dont think I can part with it though its almost worth keeping just to hear it run pop, pop, poppop

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2017, 09:38 AM »
If i had one i would give it away. Congrats on the upgrade.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 23, 2017, 09:50 AM »
wow thats a great deal for you as a seller. Mine isnt pretty but runs like a top and starts first or 2nd pull. Just had a tune up on it a few years ago and fresh blades. I do have a modified cold snap cover also.

I was gonna list mine on CL for $180 and hope for $150 maybe I should raise my expectations. I dont think I can part with it though its almost worth keeping just to hear it run pop, pop, poppop

If the the white motor head isn't all scratched up clean it up, then clean everything else up and hit the black with a shaker can to touch things up. Once you get all the age/rust spots gone and it looks like a new auger people will pay more for it because visually it looks better. Here was the pic I used to sell it. There were a couple for sale at $150-$180 but they weren't touched up like mine....nor had the extras.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 23, 2017, 09:51 AM »
although my 1971 jiffy 1 armed bandit hasn't seen much ice cutting the last few years its staying with me till I'm gone.i don't trust anybody to start/use it..its a true vintage beast of a ice auger that I can not get rid of.id get rid of my other china jiffys or pro4 lite before that one.lol.i still wish I never sold my Tecumseh powered jiffy legend lightning.that auger started no matter what.

If you email jiffy, I believe they have a butterfly handle kit they send you, since the one arm bandits are a leagl issue for them.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #9 on: Nov 23, 2017, 04:44 PM »
If you email jiffy, I believe they have a butterfly handle kit they send you, since the one arm bandits are a leagl issue for them.
yeah I thought  about it..ive got a spare set of handles but I'm going to keep it original.its a cool piece of jiffy auger history and people gather to see what it is when its  chewing up the ice and cant fathom a 1 armed bandit jiffy auger.sure has a vintage look and growl .lol.i cant believe that jiffy ever sold them really..

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 24, 2017, 07:16 AM »
Just sold my Jiffy 30 yesterday also, got $150, I think that worked out to something like a dollar a pound :)

Offline thedirtydirtyfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 24, 2017, 09:55 AM »
I love my drill auger combo, only used the jiffy 30 once laster, that being said, its the most reliable piece of ice equipment i have ever owned, and the one day i forgot to charge my batteries, I was happy to have the old beast to be able to slug holes.  Plus if the ice gets really thick, it will still be very useful.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 24, 2017, 11:52 AM »
I do some remote trips where electric won't work.
When your 10+ miles from the nearest road for several days with no way to charge it and ice is 3' thick I need my gas auger.
I would rather carry my gas auger than an electric auger and generator.
Glad the electric is working for you though.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 28, 2017, 07:47 PM »
One big benefit of going electric is you don't have to deal with engine problems from that worthless Ethanol.
Fortunately we don't have ethanol in AK but I'm sure you guys have that crap in Iowa.
I'm guessing that was one factor in your decision to switch as well.
Not having to search for ethanol free fuel.
KasilofChrisN

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 28, 2017, 08:01 PM »
Just sold my Jiffy 30 yesterday also, got $150, I think that worked out to something like a dollar a pound :)

That's funny right there.... WHAT YOU SAY?

<°)))>{

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #15 on: Nov 29, 2017, 12:03 AM »
One big benefit of going electric is you don't have to deal with engine problems from that worthless Ethanol.
Fortunately we don't have ethanol in AK but I'm sure you guys have that crap in Iowa.

Wow do you really have to bring up your ignorance about ethanol and try to start an argument because I support it. I get that you have little to no Education on the benifits of ethanol, and that you come from a state where oil is drilled.....which is a terrible product for the enviornment .....and more then likely can't stand that ethanol is gaining a lot of market share....I'm sure wind and everything else is terrible to. We just had an oil pipeline break and spill into fertile soil across the boarder in SD.......ruined the ground..........ethano l wouldn't have been a problem......By the way had my Jiffy model 30 for over 10yrs ran e10 in it never had a problem.......People like you also cried foul when lead was removed from fuel.....

Offline rundrave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 29, 2017, 08:52 AM »
We just had an oil pipeline break and spill into fertile soil across the boarder in SD.......ruined the ground..........ethano l wouldn't have been a problem......

Yeah because ethanol cant be transported via pipe so it has to be shipped via trucks on the road or trains which never crash right?

but back to the topic:
By the way had my Jiffy model 30 for over 10yrs ran e10 in it never had a problem.......

My jiffy has always ran well, I don't even know how old it is but its old and mine started 2nd pull yesterday after not being started for a few months.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 29, 2017, 10:18 AM »
Wow do you really have to bring up your ignorance about ethanol and try to start an argument because I support it. I get that you have little to no Education on the benifits of ethanol, and that you come from a state where oil is drilled.....which is a terrible product for the enviornment .....and more then likely can't stand that ethanol is gaining a lot of market share....I'm sure wind and everything else is terrible to. We just had an oil pipeline break and spill into fertile soil across the boarder in SD.......ruined the ground..........ethano l wouldn't have been a problem......By the way had my Jiffy model 30 for over 10yrs ran e10 in it never had a problem.......People like you also cried foul when lead was removed from fuel.....
I'm sorry I forgot you are a 1%er.
You are in the 1% of the population who believe the world is flat, the moon is made of cheese, and ethanol doesn't hurt small engines!
I'm sure all small engine mechanics are liars as they all agree as do independent studies that ethanol causes problems for small engines!
But like I stated previously that is no longer an issue for you now that you have gone totally electric.
I think you have been sucking on the teat of government mandated ethanol a little too long there buddy!
Ignorant? More like educated. I have read the independent studies.
I fail to see why or where I indicated I was against the removal of tetraethyl leaded gasoline? Or alternative energy?
Though I do know the only reason those wind energy towers I saw all over Iowa last time I was there only make financial sense is because of government subsidies. Just another proven fact.
I do make money off of oil as does every single Alaskan resident.
I'm sure ethanol gives every Iowa resident a yearly check like every man,woman, and child in Alaska gets from our oil?
I'll have to ask my sisters and my niece and nephew how they spend their ethanol checks!
I'm guessing you boycott big oil because of the spills and run 100% ethanol in your vehicles? No propane for your ice castle right?
But seriously you have no worries as you've gone electric so ethanol can't hurt your ice auger! That was my point in posting. Not to debate the fact that ethanol damages small engines!
KasilofChrisN

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #18 on: Nov 29, 2017, 06:26 PM »
Yeah because ethanol cant be transported via pipe so it has to be shipped via trucks on the road or trains which never crash right?

Ethanol can be and does get moved with pipe. You are missing the point ethanol can and does get spilled with little to zero impact. It doesn't contaminate ground like oil does. Safer product for the enviornment.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #19 on: Nov 29, 2017, 06:43 PM »
I'm sorry I forgot you are a 1%er.
You are in the 1% of the population who believe the world is flat, the moon is made of cheese, and ethanol doesn't hurt small engines!
I'm sure all small engine mechanics are liars as they all agree as do independent studies that ethanol causes problems for small engines!
But like I stated previously that is no longer an issue for you now that you have gone totally electric.
I think you have been sucking on the teat of government mandated ethanol a little too long there buddy!
Ignorant? More like educated. I have read the independent studies.
I fail to see why or where I indicated I was against the removal of tetraethyl leaded gasoline? Or alternative energy?
Though I do know the only reason those wind energy towers I saw all over Iowa last time I was there only make financial sense is because of government subsidies. Just another proven fact.
I do make money off of oil as does every single Alaskan resident.
I'm sure ethanol gives every Iowa resident a yearly check like every man,woman, and child in Alaska gets from our oil?
I'll have to ask my sisters and my niece and nephew how they spend their ethanol checks!
I'm guessing you boycott big oil because of the spills and run 100% ethanol in your vehicles? No propane for your ice castle right?
But seriously you have no worries as you've gone electric so ethanol can't hurt your ice auger! That was my point in posting. Not to debate the fact that ethanol damages small engines!

Lmao.....your Looking to argue...no need to.....your ignorance and brain washed position it is what it is.....laughable. A lot of the  Ethanol plants are OWNED by big oil they know it's a great product. I guess that everything the government subsidizes must be terrible.......So you can quit eating Food, using health insurance, and medical facilities, driving on roads. Heck in Alaska they subsidize people to live in the state. You can also quit using electricity, telephones, and the Internet. The mandates you speak of are a joke. They are a "political" play by politicians to act like they did something. If the mandate was removed they would still use the ethanol....if it was so terrible why do they blend well over the amount they need to from the mandates.  And yes I use ethanol whenever I can. E85 is great. Cheaper product, get equal to better savings in mileage for the cost per mile and I put out more water vapor and co2 for plants and crops to use. I also drink the ethanol they make into vodka. When a train of ethanol derails into the rivers there is next to zero issues.....so yeah I'll live happy in Iowa using a product that puts money into common everyday US citizens pockets and economy. You need to inform Europeans, brazilians, and a few other nations that ethanol doesn't work...

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Nov 29, 2017, 06:45 PM »
I got an old model 30 and a newer '08 model 34. Picked up a model 76 (2hp) last year for ha ha's. Those 3hp tecumseh engines are heavy but have probably cut more holes than any other auger has or ever will. I usually cut 10" holes and when the ice is 3' thick the 3hp is nice to have. Both mine are fitted with the STX blades which was the latest jiffy design for the 3hp before tecumseh went out of business. I'll only part with mine when I give it up entirely.
It must be something in the water.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #21 on: Nov 29, 2017, 07:05 PM »
Oh they are great augers......built to last......just heavy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.