Author Topic: Ohio ice fishing goals for 2017/2018 (PENDING WE GET ICE)  (Read 2541 times)

Offline Garyoutlaw

• IceShanty Rookie

Do you have any personal goals or plans for your Ohio ice season ?

I want to focus more on Panfishing Alum Creek & Indian this year & not get so Saugeye driven  - This will be the first season my Wife will join me on the ice so really want to get her on the East Harbor Bluegill bite & back again on the big Lake for the late season Walleye.

I typically travel out of State to fish so am entertaining trying NY or MI this year

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Ohio ice fishing goals for 2017/2018 (PENDING WE GET ICE)
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2017, 08:56 AM »
welcome!

where do you typically travel to? with junk ice like we have been having, i hope you and the spouse have float assist ice suits to help stay safe. striker has some left over suits on sale if your interested. like a lady's climate suit was over half off last i checked.
i take my wife too and she wears the the lady's striker prizim suit and loves it. here's a link if you want to check it out.
http://www.strikerstore.com/STRIKER-Clearance-Items-s/107.htm

my goal is to have lots more ice to fish this season and keep doing what i like to do.

Offline Garyoutlaw

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2017, 12:11 PM »
welcome!

where do you typically travel to? with junk ice like we have been having, i hope you and the spouse have float assist ice suits

With central Ohio ice season being so lame the past few years my Brother & I have been traveling to MN, WI, & MI to fish - Your so right on the Striker suits & seeing the pre-season sale price made me pull the trigger on buying hers.
I always tell people my Hardwater suit is the best tool I have ever bought for ANY sport I do  - fishing comfortably in subzero conditions is proof

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #3 on: Oct 26, 2017, 08:24 AM »
hopefully the ice will be better this year. the snow ruined the ice for many of the lakes around me. i had to travel south to the lowest county in michigan to get safe ice. the ice near me was 2/3" and i am in southern central michigan.  the lower county (only by two counties) had 10/12" good ice. so check where you think you want to go before you go. it was a bad season for ice fishing locally here.

so did you get her the climate suit? i wished i got my wife that one for that cheap.

Offline quackpot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 26, 2017, 06:39 PM »
I will be setting on Indian as soon as it's thick enough. I have a boat ready just in case.

Offline firemedic17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Oct 26, 2017, 06:46 PM »
yea ice has sucked in ohio, got out on indian  9 times last year, very short season!

Offline quackpot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 26, 2017, 07:07 PM »
If nothing else I will go to alum and fish the docks.

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 04, 2017, 06:16 AM »
Less Bluegill fishing and more Crappie/Perch Fishing....QUALITY VS QUANTITY this upcoming season.
Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline Garyoutlaw

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 06, 2017, 11:17 AM »
Quote from: 3300 link=topic=347985.msg3705892#msg3705892 date=1509024297
so did you get her the climate suit? [/quote

Ended up buying the Prizum top & hardwater bibs for the best fit

Offline buck05

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 12, 2017, 07:28 PM »
I would love to get my better half out on Eire ice. It is a great  experience riding over to the islands for a chance at monster walleye. She ice fished for the first time last year and loved it. We got to fish minn. At christmass and Chautauqua in January. I have fished all over and can honestly say u don't have a better chance to catch a 10 lbs. plus walleye than right here at home. Bring on the ice!!!!!!

Offline thefishfeeder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 12, 2017, 11:42 AM »
Mine is to catch a nice northern pike. Don't have to be a monster. Been figuring out where to travel for that. Northern ohio or Michigan. Also would like to catch a nice mess of perch and or walleye.  Would like to ice fish erie.

Offline fishnutt

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ya Lookin For Me
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2018, 12:13 PM »
Will be looking for large Crappies, Perch to add to collection on the wall. Any Ideas for the crappies
Filet & Release

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • common sense is no longer common
« Reply #12 on: Jan 01, 2018, 08:51 PM »
I'm looking to just stay on top of it ( the ice ) and if I catch fish it's a bonus.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.