Author Topic: My new project  (Read 8751 times)

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: My new project
« Reply #30 on: Oct 31, 2017, 08:39 AM »
2nd coat of varnish on... I was playing around with some photo editing, pictures with my Samsung phone make the color look too grey... In real life the wood more amber in color.  I thought this pic turned out kind of cool! 

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Nov 03, 2017, 06:48 AM »
In the last week we have had a few cold nights, I found that the shack comes up to temp in less than 5 minutes with a buddy on low, and the pilot light is just the right amount of heat to keep it comfortable once up to temp!  I was entertaining the idea of building another tiny woodstove for it, but it would just be too many btu's, lol.  I tend to give my ice fishing creations a nickname but nothing has hit me yet..... Love to here some suggestions???????  I found a few pics of early in the build too, I guess I didn't take many pics of the framing. I tried to keep it light as possible, using yellow pine shipping pallets ripped down to 3/4" x 1.5" thinking the ribbed steel crossing it 90 degrees would be super strong... I put the 1.5" foam really tight between them and it added even more strength!  The walls and ceilings consist of steel, house wrap, reflectix, r 7.5 foam and then (Miranti)exterior grade luan coated with 3 coats of helmsman. The floor 2x4 frame 24" oc with 1/2" cdx sheathing with 3 coats helmsman on both sides.  I used self adhesive ice guard on the front wall behind the steel to stop water creeping inside traveling at 70mph in the rain too.  This project was perfect for me... Being a contractor there are always small job left overs..... I really only have about $200 into her!!!!!! Mostly foam and luan...

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Nov 20, 2017, 03:58 PM »
Well, I have decided that I hate heating with propane, too much condensation.... and don't even mention the headaches.... So I pulled the woodstove I built for one of my other huts and hooked up the old chimney.  I furred the metal off the back an inch and plan to do the same on the side walls. I LOVE the wood heat, just idling the stove puts out more than a buddy on low! I can still use my buddy but that wood heat is just superior.........Maybe a new coat of stove black to make her look new... I will remove the upper chimney pipe and use a fernco for on road travel, I need to get a new spark arrestor too, I misplaced it so I made one quick out of a coffee can, so I didn't light my trees on fire, LOL!

Offline Icephishwyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Nov 20, 2017, 05:32 PM »
Sweet sheep wagon😀

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Nov 20, 2017, 05:56 PM »
Nice job! I have been thinking about going with wood for my Otter Resort flip and hub.

Offline jpohlic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Nov 21, 2017, 02:01 PM »
Nice shack!!!
The more I fish, the less I know about fishing...
Send me a PM if you'd like info about how I built my ice shack

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Nov 22, 2017, 11:32 AM »
I shot a little video! 

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Nov 25, 2017, 05:45 AM »
My girlfriend and I spent the afternoon cooking some leftover turkey sandwiches on the woodstove in the new hut, down by the lake. It was nice to get tiny house out and put it to some use!  Everywhere we go this thing sparks a conversation which leads to a walk through, Lol. At one point we had 6 adults in it and there was still plenty of room!  We had a great time on our first trip out, even though it was right up the street!

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #38 on: Nov 25, 2017, 06:09 AM »
Very cool!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Nov 26, 2017, 06:55 AM »
Well, I know the new rig is performing........ My 17 year old step son has been living in it since Friday, LOL!!!  He has his tv and x box in there parked in the drive way.... What a fun hang out for a kid!  He is learning the ins and outs of running a woodstove on his own, when I came to visit he had the hut about 100f.... I had to crack the window while I was hanging out!!!  I can not wait for some ice... I am about to take a trip...........

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Nov 26, 2017, 08:05 AM »
I struggle to get my unit back onto the trailer. How do you do it?

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Nov 26, 2017, 02:15 PM »
My stepson (17) and I lifted it right up and on there.  I estimate it's weight to be less than 400 lbs.  I am not sure how hard it would be to load if the underside was soaked with water.... My other hut gains about 100lbs if left in deep water on the ice even though the base is treated lumber, plywood and also epoxy painted.  By the sound of your setup, maybe a small electric winch mounted to your trailer?

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Nov 27, 2017, 04:42 PM »
I built a portable shower out of a tuperware  container a rack from a metal shelf and some cpvc pipe today after work.  I wrapped 2 shower curtains around the cpvc and into the tuperware so no water got out and hung a milk jug with a little hole poked in the bottom from the ceiling of the hut. Warmed up some water on the woodstove, hung the jug and took a sweet hot shower!!!! It all comes apart and goes right in the tuperware!  It worked great!!!!. I will post some pics later tonight when my battery is charged

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Nov 28, 2017, 07:32 AM »
First shower in the new hut!  I took a shower in my driveway, hahaha!  I heated the water on the woodstove and poured it back in the jug, 1 gallon was more than enough to take a nice warm shower and the wood heat dried me right off. I hung some towel/ blanket hanging bars. I just folded up the cot for more room and the shower comes out of the tuperware and is ready to rock in just a few minutes!  It worked way better than imagined and it is going to be awesome to grab a warm shower on the road traveling or after a long day of fishing!  Next come portable toilet, kitchen sink, led lighting and solar charger, then it will be ready for life on the road where ever the ice takes us!

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Nov 28, 2017, 02:06 PM »
Here is a pic of my porta shower taken down, everything you need all inside the tuperware with room to spare for 3 or 4 gallons extra....                                                                                                                         

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Dec 05, 2017, 07:46 AM »
I just spent my first night sleeping in the new rig!  I am 120 miles from home working on a foundation in Pittsburgh, so I figured I would bring the trailer to live out of for the next few days. I am loving it, it hauled great on the highway, and as far as right now it is raining like crazy and I am warm and dry having a fresh hot cup of coffee!!! I am running off of all 12v now as far as lights and fan which I just picked up for $6 at my favorite local discount store, it is variable speed and really moves some air!  I now have sink, shower, toilet that can all be removed, woodstove, buddy heater, dual burner cooktop, X2 100 amp hour deep cycle 12v batteries, 400 watt inverter, dewalt radio with x4 batteries, laptop with wifi for entertainment, carbon monoxide detector for safety, cooler for cold food, x2 pull out tuperware storage bins under the cot, one for misc stuff and other for dry food.  No joke I could live in this thing!!!!  It was only 40f last night so I didn't need any heat.  Now we just need some cold weather and some ice and this baby will be ready for it's intended use but for now I am happy!

Offline Capt.Jim-N.J.

« Reply #46 on: Dec 05, 2017, 12:48 PM »
Love the build - excellent job - lots of luck with it - some ? - W x L x H
Now is the time for all good men and women to engage in the sport of ice fishing

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Dec 05, 2017, 04:37 PM »
Thanks capt!  The base is 4' x 8' with a 1' seat on each side, so the outside walls are 6'x8' with a 3' wide 2' deep stove bump out for a total of 62 sq ft. There is about 74" of head room.

Offline Capt.Jim-N.J.

« Reply #48 on: Dec 05, 2017, 07:24 PM »
I take it that you are using a 6'w X 8'l trailer to carry the unit ?
Now is the time for all good men and women to engage in the sport of ice fishing

Offline Capt.Jim-N.J.

« Reply #49 on: Dec 05, 2017, 07:28 PM »
Nope, I'm wrong, I just looked at the pics. at the front and see the build for the trailer set - Did you consider using steel studs for walls when you started building?

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Dec 08, 2017, 07:52 AM »
My trailer has a front and rear tail gate that can either be up or down, when down the trailer is 6x12.  I thought about welding a metal frame up but the framing for my hut was free, I ripped down yellow pine shipping containers from windows I put in for a customer.  Plus if the studs were metal I would half to used all stainless hardware to attach the paneling to it or I would have condensation and RUST from that.  I noticed the aluminum door frame would sweat condensation as does the window when running propane heat or maybe just my breathe from sleeping at night, and I may get a little rust over time I am sure... I just spent 3 nights living in it and did not even need to fire up the wood stove in 20f lows at night.  I just ran the buddy heater every couple hours for a few minutes and it was comfortable.  The foam and wood absorb the heat and the reflectix on the outside of the foam reflects the heat right bac into the foam and is a great system. "Paneling, 1 1/2" foam between 1 1/2 x 3/4 yellow pine studs, reflectix seal taped, house wrap then steel." All gaps in steel filled with fireblock foam. Sounds like over kill but..... I does work nice!!!  I would have fired up the woodstove for some dry heat but I was boondocking in a suburb doing some foundation work, and didn't want to cause a seen looking like somebody smoking a deer in a mobile smoker trailer.... I figured somebody might complain so I kept to the propane.  The more I use this thing the more I love it, over 350miles on her now!!! Bring on the freakin ice already!!!!!!!!

Offline Capt.Jim-N.J.

« Reply #51 on: Dec 08, 2017, 11:04 AM »
Again , Good Luck with it and Enjoy the Season

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #52 on: Dec 08, 2017, 04:30 PM »
Thank you for all the photos and video very nice looking shanty. Great job by your girlfriend with the wood burning of pike. Looking forward to pictures of this shanty out on the ice.
Steve

Offline stag

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's what I do....
« Reply #53 on: Dec 18, 2017, 09:33 PM »
love it ! You do some nice work and have some good ideas...enjoy
Duane

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.