The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: K-Drill with Milwaukee mud mixer  (Read 34244 times)

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: K-Drill with Milwaukee mud mixer
« Reply #60 on: Feb 05, 2018, 10:04 PM »
Thank ya Sir!
Was 99.9% certain it is the 42 since couldnt find the other in searching it.   When you fab'd the Kdrill  did you just use an extension or is there a cheaper alternative to get the male end?
I machined it my self.

Offline Sthorne19

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Feb 06, 2018, 08:59 AM »
Before everyone starts welding and fabricating on these things let me tell you what I did.  I bought 2 different Milwaukee 7/8 Quick Lok hole saw bits and modified them to fit the Kdrill and lazer.  The kdrill requires the separate attachment sold that you can add it to a gas power head.  The bit for the kdrill is the one made for larger holes and the one for the lazer for smaller in the pictures below.  Both bits are the same diameter and are just barely too big to fit the drill shaft of the lazer and the attachment for the kdrill.  I simply put them on the belt sander for a few minutes and got them both to fit perfect and tight.  I then drilled out the threaded hold that is used to secure the drill bit with a set screw to go all the way through the hole saw bit. The holes line up perfectly for each of the auger bits and could not be a better fit if I designed it from scratch.  So much so I question even posting it here in that I think I could sell these.  Literally took 5 minutes for each attachment.   

Offline Sthorne19

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #62 on: Feb 06, 2018, 09:10 AM »
Side note in that the drill bit that comes with both of the hole saw bits is the exact size you need to drill through the bit. 

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #63 on: Feb 06, 2018, 11:04 PM »
Great idea!
Is the hole saw portion you sanded approximately 3/4 or 7/8?  If the hole saw bit is 7/8", that is exactly what I'm going for.  It will fit my SM power auger and the K drill (with provided adapter removed).
]

Offline Sthorne19

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #64 on: Feb 07, 2018, 07:50 AM »
It's 3/4 as it only fits the Lazer without the kdrill adapter. 

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Feb 07, 2018, 11:32 AM »
Great idea!
I love it, there is after all more than one way to skin a cat.
No disrespect but for the sake of possible confusion your images are not correct.
49-56-7000, 7/16" Small Thread Arbor.

49-56-7055, 7/16" Large Thread Quick Change Arbor is the larger one but couldn't find a correct image with the groove.

Offline Sthorne19

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Feb 07, 2018, 04:55 PM »
You are correct.  I pulled the non quick lok images.  This is the exact one that fits the kdrill power head attachment.  Please keep in mind that you can also use the quick lok extensions for a auger extension also.  I believe they have a 5 inch and a 18inch extension.

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #67 on: Feb 07, 2018, 06:04 PM »
You are correct.  I pulled the non quick lok images.  This is the exact one that fits the kdrill power head attachment.  Please keep in mind that you can also use the quick lok extensions for a auger extension also.  I believe they have a 5 inch and a 18inch extension.

Also is the 12" extension Milwaukee #48-28-1040. The 5", 12" & 18" are all available at your friendly HD store.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #68 on: Feb 07, 2018, 06:31 PM »
I'm going to rig up an adapter to run my 10" SM Lazer Pro shaver on the Mud Mixer.  Originally was thinking using the keyed chuck but after messing with the quik lok system today and seeing how rigid that system is I'm sold on it.  The plan is to simply cut a 5.5" extension roughly in half. Weld the male end to 7/8 shaft for the auger and replace the chuck w/ quik lok eventually.  In the meantime...use the other half of the extension (female end)  chucked up in the Mud Mixer.  I guess when I get the chuck swapped out I'll have to either use my m18 drill for my Kdrill or make it quick lok ready also like whitefishmt did.
The adapter you make for the 10" SM Lazer shaver will go right into the Kdrill. They are both .875 diameter. The strike master has a 8mm screw thru and the Kdrill has a 5/16-18 screw thru, they are only a few thousands of an inch different.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #69 on: Feb 07, 2018, 07:07 PM »
I'm going to rig up an adapter to run my 10" SM Lazer Pro shaver on the Mud Mixer.  Originally was thinking using the keyed chuck but after messing with the quik lok system today and seeing how rigid that system is I'm sold on it.  The plan is to simply cut a 5.5" extension roughly in half. Weld the male end to 7/8 shaft for the auger and replace the chuck w/ quik lok eventually.  In the meantime...use the other half of the extension (female end)  chucked up in the Mud Mixer.  I guess when I get the chuck swapped out I'll have to either use my m18 drill for my Kdrill or make it quick lok ready also like whitefishmt did.
Welding the extension to the the 7/8" shaft will ruin the heat-treatment of the Milwaukee extension and if the 2 parts are not on dead center the auger will run crazy on the ice.
Do it right and bore a hole in the 7/8 diameter to match the Milwaukee extension and pin it together.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #70 on: Feb 09, 2018, 04:48 PM »
Bored and pinned it....looks like will work slick.  Think after get the quik lok chuck put on going to call this setup the 'Ice Hawg'!  Will take it out tomorrow to see how it handles the 10" shaver.

]

Offline 830king

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #71 on: Apr 01, 2018, 03:45 PM »
Very interesting topic. I might have to retire my 2706 and get a mud mixer.

Offline Beck04vall

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #72 on: Dec 13, 2018, 09:33 PM »
I machined it my self.

Whitefish, did you simply machine 3 more flats onto the current k-drill adapter or did you have cut the end off and make something new and then somehow mount it to what still looks like the stock K-Drill adapter?  At a quick glance it looks like, but I have not measured, that I can just mill the 3 extra flats on it and lathe the slot to make it 7/16" hex quik-loc compatible.

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Dec 14, 2018, 10:35 AM »
Whitefish, did you simply machine 3 more flats onto the current k-drill adapter or did you have cut the end off and make something new and then somehow mount it to what still looks like the stock K-Drill adapter?  At a quick glance it looks like, but I have not measured, that I can just mill the 3 extra flats on it and lathe the slot to make it 7/16" hex quik-loc compatible.
Yep. Just milled 3 more flats and turned the groove.
Wish the mfg of the ice drills would make them that way from the factory!

Offline Beck04vall

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #74 on: Dec 18, 2018, 04:38 PM »
Just an FYI for those looking to buy the Quik-LOC for the Mud Mixer.  Part number is 42-66-0055 and can be ordered via customer service center at 1-800-729-3878 with a credit card.  As of 12/18/2018 they charged me $49.37 for the part + shipping and are UNABLE to tell you the shipping cost upon ordering nor could they tell me the shipping type (I'd prefer to reduce cost and select normal if that was possible).  Apparently, it gets determined after packaging and during actual shipping, so they just charge you later.  They told me there was no way to determine it and they could NOT tell me ahead of time or even let me confirm the cost before charging me.  It turned out to cost ~$15 to ship to Webster, MN.  I find it hard to believe they can't estimate shipping like every other website that allows you to order stuff.  $15 also sounds a bit excessive for the size and weight of this item, I haven't got the part yet but I doubt the shipping will be fast.

Anyway, be aware, the part is going to cost you ~$65.00 simply to upgrade the new tool to what it should have been out of the box.

Here is the Milwaukee service parts cost page (note, the cost did differ slightly than shown here): https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Support/PartsPricing
Here are the instructions to remove the chuck shipped with the mud mixer: https://documents.milwaukeetool.com/54-06-2810.pdf

Offline papadarv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Dec 18, 2018, 05:22 PM »
I made my own direct connect adapter for my mud mixer replacing the Chuck. Shaft size same as ION quick release, clam plate, Nills and Mora hand crank shaft. No chance of loosing an auger.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #76 on: Dec 18, 2018, 05:34 PM »
I’m not sure why all the hate for the chuck?  I used the Mud Mixer with the  standard chuck all year last year with an 8” Nils and it performed flawlessly.  Lost on the whole Quik-Lok thing?

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Dec 18, 2018, 06:36 PM »
The reason the mud-mixer comes with a standard chuck is because most "mud" mixing implements are not 7/16" and not 6 sided only 3 sided.
The reason I went with the QUIK-LOC chuck was for quick removal, not having to worry about the drill falling out and not worrying about losing the chuck key at the most inopportune time.
The standard chuck works just fine, in fact I used my mud-mixer for mixing drywall and thinset mortar this summer on my sons house, and yes all my mud mixer tools are only 3 sided.
Kind of a novel idea using it for what it was intended.
The mixer only fell out once or twice, luckily the bucket caught it. ::)

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #78 on: Dec 18, 2018, 08:07 PM »
I’m not sure why all the hate for the chuck?  I used the Mud Mixer with the  standard chuck all year last year with an 8” Nils and it performed flawlessly.  Lost on the whole Quik-Lok thing?

DN
I don’t have a problem with the chuck, but the quick release is much nicer if you wanna break it down at the end of the day. Also, I have never had the quick release drop an auger.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #79 on: Dec 19, 2018, 05:28 PM »
Found the QuikLok chuck for about $50 to my door here: https://www.mmtoolparts.com/store/42-66-0055-7-16in-hex-quick-lock-assembly-milwaukee.

You can choose from a number of shipping methods, First Class is $5.22. I'm good with that. Going to go Sthorne19's route and mod each auger to a QuikLok fitting. Easier in the end and I like you can break it down to fit in a smaller sled easily.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Anderj85

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #80 on: Dec 24, 2018, 09:22 AM »
What speed are you guys running your mud mixers on?  Anybody had issues with them shutting off? I have one with a 8" pistol bit and quick lok but have not used it yet.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #81 on: Dec 24, 2018, 09:28 AM »
What speed are you guys running your mud mixers on?  Anybody had issues with them shutting off? I have one with a 8" pistol bit and quick lok but have not used it yet.
Mine was shutting off the other day on an 8” orange Nils. Not too impressed. Might put it back on the smaller auger from now on. I run it balls to the wall on high speed. On any speed, it was struggling after the first six holes. 6” of HARD ice.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #82 on: Dec 24, 2018, 09:50 AM »

Running 8" K-Drill, max RPM (550). Only time it shuts off is when I release the trigger or the battery's dry. Last weekend a coupla hundred holes thru 8". Last year up to 24" of ice got about 25 - 30 per 5 Ah.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Anderj85

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #83 on: Dec 24, 2018, 10:01 AM »
Thanks guys, guess ill just have to give it a try.  I opted for the mud mixer because of the adjustable handle and quik lok chuck compatibility. Would be a little disappointed if it has issues with shutting down but could probably sell it and get a 2804 pretty easily

Offline Ragged

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #84 on: Dec 31, 2018, 05:14 PM »
Mine was shutting off the other day on an 8” orange Nils. Not too impressed. Might put it back on the smaller auger from now on. I run it balls to the wall on high speed. On any speed, it was struggling after the first six holes. 6” of HARD ice.

I wonder if your batteries are giving up the ghost? That is completely opposite of my experience, I run an 8” blue Nils non-pp, hasn’t been sharpened in years. I can drill 30-40 holes in 12” ice and be down one bar on my battery (fresh 9.0). It’s an absolute beast and nothing seems to stop it. You might want to look into the health of the battery or mixer, it should do WAY better than what you are seeing.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #85 on: Dec 31, 2018, 06:18 PM »

I wonder if your batteries are giving up the ghost? That is completely opposite of my experience, I run an 8” blue Nils non-pp, hasn’t been sharpened in years. I can drill 30-40 holes in 12” ice and be down one bar on my battery (fresh 9.0). It’s an absolute beast and nothing seems to stop it. You might want to look into the health of the battery or mixer, it should do WAY better than what you are seeing.
  I'll second this.  Something has got to be wrong.  I have the 5.0ah batteries, 2704 drill, and 8" blue Nils and have drilled 40-50 holes in a day and have never had a shutdown.

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #86 on: Dec 31, 2018, 06:26 PM »
  I'll second this.  Something has got to be wrong.  I have the 5.0ah batteries, 2704 drill, and 8" blue Nils and have drilled 40-50 holes in a day and have never had a shutdown.

This is about the MudMixer not the  2704 drill.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #87 on: Dec 31, 2018, 06:34 PM »

What frustrated me the most was that I was running a brand new 12 amp hour battery and the drill is brand new as well. Used it maybe once or twice last season. Next time I’m out I will give it another try with some different batteries just to see. If I still have that same problem, the drill will be returned for a new one. Thanks for letting me know your expenses guys

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #88 on: Dec 31, 2018, 07:34 PM »
Not sure but are the k drill shafts aluminum ?? If so carefull you don't twist the k drill shaft in to a pretzel with the mud mixer I know aluminum is not as hard as steel but it is lighter so be carefull...

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #89 on: Jan 04, 2019, 08:09 AM »
I'm considering the Mud Mixer, but am worried a bit about torque with the KD. What's the in/lbs of this tool?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.