Author Topic: Spring on hard water..  (Read 1368 times)

Offline ianwuzhere

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOT ICE??
Spring on hard water..
« on: Apr 03, 2017, 10:23 AM »
Been checking into lakes haven't ever fished in winter before. Explored some great areas and makes me only want to get out and do it more especially when the trips almost at its end. With the longer days now it makes it a lot nicer to get in that 5 more minutes of fishing for hours and hours   ;D

This otter was chomping on a fish:
free image host

imgurl
photo sharing websites

Sleeping in the shantys is always fun. Used a couple lil tea light candles to take the edge off the inside over nite- except the candles only last like 2 hours- need to get bigger candles next time..

image hosting without registration
print screen windows 7

Love the insulated floor in the polar bird- makes it feel much warmer on over nite trips when crawling out of bed in socks..

I don't eat much fish, but sometimes a fresh trout fillet fried up is way more tastey then anything from any restaurant..

adult image

picture share

Sometimes the night bites can be good- Caught a few after 10pm. Had my line attached to a chair next to me while sleeping and woke up to no bait left on my hook when I woke up in the morning..-Shoulda put a bell on it I suppose..

photo uploading

20mb image hosting

Warmer weather brings some awesome spring ice fishing. Some of the nicest days of the year are upon us. Love sun tanning and fighting fish thru the ice-  :) :)

print screen

Burbot on the Kamookis:

upload img

Its not too often find burbot spitting up freshly eaten eggs on the ice when get them out of the hole. Reminded me of a sturgeon sucking up salmon eggs off the bottom. They were fairly large eggs and seemed to be at about as fresh and large as they were going to be.. Fat belly too, released it so unsure how many were in its stomach but I was guessing quite a few. Middle of winter spawning action that turns into a meal for burbot. If only I had some roe I wondered if it would be dynamite for bait...
post images

Ice is still 18" on some lakes and 12" on others. On the south facing shores on the larger lakes there are some spots where the soft water is trying to work its way out, but once u get out on the hard stuff its fishing as usual:

upload images free

Good luck everyone, hopefully u can get out and enjoy awesome spring hardwater fishing   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
~its not over till its soft, --- "tfg".

Offline Jiggle Jerry

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Spring on hard water..
« Reply #1 on: Apr 05, 2017, 11:38 PM »
Nice fish and great Pics - I still got to put my season debrief up there - I here you guys like your pics  :)
Ive always thought about sleeping in my Shanty but was worried about keeping warm - don't want to fall asleep with the propane heater on - may not wake up again haha --- big candles is a good idea.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Apr 11, 2017, 08:15 AM »
That's it---I'm moving to BC!!!!
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline anglure

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Apr 11, 2017, 02:15 PM »
  Great report and pictures too !  :woot: :thumbsup:

Offline chop1