Author Topic: What set up to use fishing for perch with tip ups  (Read 11165 times)

Offline JoshShoe22

• IceShanty Rookie
What set up to use fishing for perch with tip ups
« on: Jan 24, 2017, 12:46 PM »
Still fairly new to ice fishing, 4 or 5 years of going out a handful of times. Looking to go out this weekend targeting perch, not sure exactly how i should set up my tip ups. lines, jigs, bait, ext...

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
Re: What set up to use fishing for perch with tip ups
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2017, 12:52 PM »
Tip ups I like to use size 6 trebles with icicles. I usually sett up 1 to 10 feet off the bottom.  Jigging I like to use Hali-jigs tipped with spikes.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Online JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2017, 01:51 PM »
Perch on tip ups?? maybe for Pike bait  ;)

Offline dickerson_jared

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2017, 01:57 PM »
A location would help, some places people would laugh at you for trying. Personally I set mine the same as for walleye just with a bit smaller tackle. Size 6 octopus hook, lip hook a fathead or small shiner. Split shot 8 inches up. Hang the hook a foot off bottom. Check often because small perch have a tendency to rip off minnows but not trip flags. Good Luck
"Yeah, well, listen Dr. D*pcrap - you've obviously never been ice fishing before.
No, I haven't.
Well it's f*cking exhilarating."
-Harold & Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2017, 02:09 PM »
The main problem with targeting perch on tip-ups is that you will have to wait for them to (hopefully) come to your traps.

Jigging tends to be more productive mainly because you can move around to find where they could be schooling.

Add to that the chance of catching yellow perch, white perch, crappie and sunfish all within the same general area?
Oh, sure, you can catch some of them on tip-ups, but with jigging you can catch MORE of them because you don't have to spend as much time rebaiting the trap and resetting it at the correct depth.

I'm not knocking your efforts, just giving other options to possibly increase your overall success.

In any case, good luck!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2017, 03:49 PM »
#6 or 8 octopus hook with a small splitshot a foot above and a fathead or rosie on the business end works for me pretty darn well! Leader length doesn't really matter, a couple feet is plenty.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline williev18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2017, 04:43 PM »
I use a #4 wire hook at the end of a 2' floro leader tied to a barrel swivel. Above the swivel there is a 1/4oz bullet sinker with the main line threaded through it. Above the sinker there is a surf button threaded onto the main line to slide up the line while setting depth the first time to mark bottom, and for fast resets. I set a fat head or small shiner one foot off the bottom or just above the weeds depending on where I'm fishing. May not be as productive as jigging some days, but the kids have a blast running after flags all day.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2017, 04:48 PM »
Perch are aggressive --- I've caught perch using 4" shiners on my tipups while fishing for bass.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline mcarey97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2017, 04:56 PM »
6-8 lb mono/floro leader, small circle hook, SMALL bass shiner. 1' off bottom   20-40' of water   is how we do it in our spot 

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2017, 06:02 PM »
I use a #2 Aberdeen hook with a small minnow and a small splitshot 18 inches up to help it get down.  I use a 6# mono leader, 3' long. 

I set them 2-3 feet off the bottom.   

Then I jig around the tipups.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2017, 07:05 PM »
I've been successful catching perch on tipups. I think you should try. Don't listen to those that think it is silly.

Offline P-Wo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2017, 07:23 PM »
I have 6# mono on the end of my ice line with a #4 hook. I also like to keep it about 16" off of the bottom with a small split shot about a foot above the hook. I use fatheads and hook them just behind the dorsal fin. Let them take it a moment before setting the hook. You don't want to pull it out of their mouth. This is what works for me and I enjoy it.

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 24, 2017, 10:41 PM »
I've been successful catching perch on tipups. I think you should try. Don't listen to those that think it is silly.

Excellent advice here.... I always double drill my holes when setting tipups for perch when i start catching them on tip ups i will jig the other hole i drilled....some days the larger perch dont like the jigging action and favor the minnow on a tip up.....i use my walleye tip ups which have 4 foot of flourocarbon leads with a #6 treble hook and a split shot above tip this rig with a small shiner minnow.....it is common for jumbo perch around here to take pike bait  :tipup:good luck
Budweiser pro staff

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2017, 06:47 AM »
18" mono leader. I prefer 4 pound line. Single split shot about 6 to 8 inches up. Small treble hook. Small or medium golden shiners.  That's a baseline set up.  I also have a slew of tip-ups set up with jigs, spinners, etc. and let the fish tell me what they want by frequently swapping them out. 

Totally disagree that it's a waste of time and that you'll catch more jigging.  If you simply put them in and let them sit then yes, this can be the case but if you are actively working a tip up spread you can get dialed into a school of perch and their movements much quicker than by simply roaming around with a jig pole. 

I begin with a wide spread and tighten it up once the fish are located.  With the extra lines in the water you can tell which way a school is moving and stay a step ahead of them.  With only a jig pole it's more of a guessing game.  With tip ups you see a flag go up, then another, it immediately tells you where those fish are headed thus removing the guessing aspect of it. 

It's a ton of fun fishing with someone who is a naysayer to this approach because you can ring up some large numbers of fish in a short amount of time as long as you actively work your tip up spread and use them as a search tool in conjunction with a jigging game. 

Offline IceMonsters

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team New York
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2017, 07:28 AM »
18" mono leader. I prefer 4 pound line. Single split shot about 6 to 8 inches up. Small treble hook. Small or medium golden shiners.  That's a baseline set up.  I also have a slew of tip-ups set up with jigs, spinners, etc. and let the fish tell me what they want by frequently swapping them out. 

Totally disagree that it's a waste of time and that you'll catch more jigging.  If you simply put them in and let them sit then yes, this can be the case but if you are actively working a tip up spread you can get dialed into a school of perch and their movements much quicker than by simply roaming around with a jig pole. 

I begin with a wide spread and tighten it up once the fish are located.  With the extra lines in the water you can tell which way a school is moving and stay a step ahead of them.  With only a jig pole it's more of a guessing game.  With tip ups you see a flag go up, then another, it immediately tells you where those fish are headed thus removing the guessing aspect of it. 

It's a ton of fun fishing with someone who is a naysayer to this approach because you can ring up some large numbers of fish in a short amount of time as long as you actively work your tip up spread and use them as a search tool in conjunction with a jigging game.
Very well put sir....I applaud your way! I do that quite often. Best method in my opinion.

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2017, 09:59 AM »
Just about any rig will work, but I prefer a large rosy tail hooked on a orange or purple Tiger Willow spoon about a foot off the bottom.  Always drill a jig hole a couple feet from your trap.  Also helps to go around once every 10 or 15 minutes and give them a shake to get the minnow kicking again.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Online JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 25, 2017, 10:01 AM »
How Many lines (tip-ups) can you use in Wisc & NY???  Only 2 here in Colo. which limits our use for tip-ups

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 25, 2017, 10:03 AM »
Wisconsin is 3 total so 2 tipups and a jig pole.  Not sure what most of New York is but I've heard 15 tipups on Lake Champlain.  Which sounds like a lot of work, and fun. 
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Online JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 25, 2017, 10:23 AM »
Back in the day when I lived in Michigan, we could use 5. With 3 guys, we would have a pretty nice perimeter when fishing for eyes. Would jig in the house for perch.

Offline GitRDone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 25, 2017, 11:17 AM »
I think you can use 7 tip ups and 2 poles in NY.

Offline RedneckofLatham

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 25, 2017, 11:19 AM »
7 of any combination

Offline littlemelon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 25, 2017, 11:49 AM »
A very long time ago, the 3 of us would use our "home-made" tip ups (which I do not have anymore) and rods.
  On my tip I had some type of braided black line tied off with a barrel swivel and about 2-3' of gold trilene, I think it was 4 pound test; I had the mono tied with a #6 or 8 treble, above the hook I had 2 or 3 red or florescent orange beads and above that I had a tiny swivel spinner blade from Mister-Twister, a small split shot I would tip the hooks with a minnow head and spikes or meal worms, I got the idea from Mid-West-Outdoors-paper.
 On my rod (my peg stick handle, that I made in wood shop class. and I do not have that  any more) my color was a tiny orange glitter jig (I still have one, but it is a safe place) that one would be tipped with maggots or spikes.
 But I would rather target bluegill's, I like eating those the best.
  My other bud BIG E as we called him used basically the same set up but no spinner blade and tipped his minnows through the back, and on his rod was close to mine he would use a tiny red/silver jig with minnows. He made a nifty hook remover from a Bic pen, pulled the cap and ink tube out and made a very clean incision and carried it like a pencil behind your ear.
     Now Rod, he was a piece of work, all I ever scene him fish was Mepps #0-#1 black fury's again he would tip them like me a minnow head, or spikes. Rod would be out in his folding lawn chair and coffee.
Just wanted to share.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #22 on: Jan 25, 2017, 12:25 PM »
From the NY DEC:

"No more than 7 ice-fishing lines may be used, except as noted in BORDER WATERS, LAKE CHAMPLAIN or SPECIAL REGULATIONS BY COUNTY."

That's a combination of poles, tip ups, tip downs or hand lines.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline fishonthebrain

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 25, 2017, 06:56 PM »
I've been using a new tip-up I found at the Milwaukee ice show called the Finicky Fooler. You use your rod and reel combo and leave the bail open with this tip-up. It can be set very sensitive for panfish and you can reel the fish in. I use 4# Berkley  Nanofil and tie direct to a small single hook and hook my minnows through the mouth. Perch will swallow the minnow head first, so your hooking percentage is higher.

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 25, 2017, 06:58 PM »
I think you can use 7 tip ups and 2 poles in NY.

NY changed recently from 5 tipups and 2 poles, to 7 lines in any combination. For example, if you have seven tipups out, you can't jig. If you have six tipups out, you can jig with one rod.

That is the rule for NY, except lake Champlain like someone mentioned earlier. 15 tipups is too many for me to handle. Lol

Offline Hando

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Mar 07, 2017, 02:06 PM »
A couple options I use is a #8 treble with a bass minnow fished with 4lb leader.  Keeps the dinks off and rewards are usually just the jumbos.  I also use the HT Windless tip-ups with a jigging rap or road runner jig head tipped with a minnow head.  Have been successful with that too.  Good Luck!  :tipup:
"3/4 of the Earth's surface is water, and 1/4 is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn."

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 31, 2018, 10:56 AM »
Perch are aggressive --- I've caught perch using 4" shiners on my tipups while fishing for bass.

Bingo! I have too in a pond where there were bass and couldn't get a bass this way but the large perch loved the big shiners.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline flagup!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 31, 2018, 11:36 AM »
 At the end of your braided tipup line use a small barrel swivel.   From that tie on 3 t0 4 ft of 4 to 6 lb test leader I don't notice perch to be very line shy I have caught lots with 10 lb test leader.    I use a size #4 single hook with 3" shiners.  Match the hook to the bait you are using.  Smaller shiners smaller hooks.  Then clip on a small split shot 18-24inches inches from the hook onto you leader.  I have added spinners and beads above the split shot with good success.  Make sure to use a sounder and mark your tip up line with a button or small split shot so your shiner is a foot off bottom.  If your shiner is sitting on bottom you will not catch many.  I like to fish in 15 to 30 ft of water on large flats, but that's for lakes around here, so I'm not sure where you are. It always seems to me the schools swim in a pattern and certain holes are better than others.  Once that happens then I move my tip ups closer to the hot area or along that contour line and jig like hell.
The only time I learn something is when I'm not talking.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.