Author Topic: Bucktail Jig heads - Ball, Banana, Fish, or Stand-up?  (Read 5567 times)

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
What is everyone's preferred head style for Laker fishing and why? Having a new set tied up and given the option, which would YOU choose?

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Bucktail Jig heads - Ball, Banana, Fish, or Stand-up?
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2015, 11:31 AM »
Yes I like the Northland airplanes too. Kind of put those in a different category. Have a couple but don't use them as often because I can't tip them off in my state unless I get rid of the treble stinger.

Offline mtnhillbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2015, 10:03 AM »
im gonna tye some up with the traditional round head in black with white and whit tan mix and maybe some red or white flash.... mostly because i bought a bunch of heads that dont allow my tubes to sit horizontal... actually even my tube jig heads dont allow them to sit horizontal either with out some heavy split pushed into the head of the tube... im a firm beleiver in the horizontal when still... i fish 2 jigs at a time and when i leave it sit still i get more action on the horizontal vs. vertical presentaion... wish the made a good balanced head... i have lots of heads now thinking they will work but they dont without modifying them in some manner which is a PITA!

Offline Eaglecrg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2015, 02:58 PM »
I tie up deer hair jigs, primarily white with black, blue, or green top and add a lot of flash on the sides.  The flash really seems to make a difference.

Offline mtnhillbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2015, 08:28 AM »
I tied up a couple bucktail.jigs and having a tough time.. the bucktail isnt staying
put like any other fly , ive tied it 15 years? Guessing I will have to tie on the hair in
Layers... it just slips out so definitively wont be holding up.. any ideas would be welcome
Thanks..

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Mar 09, 2015, 11:51 AM »
Make sure you have a good thread base before adding the bucktail.
If you are using a lot of bucktail you can add some head cement or crazy glue before putting the bucktail in.
It will help with locking it all in.

Offline Eaglecrg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 09, 2015, 12:05 PM »
hillbilly:  A thread base as was mentioned is important and it also helps to put a drop or two of glue or head cement on top of the thread base before you tie in the hair.  I hold the hair in place while I take quite a few wraps of the thread before releasing the hair.  You can sort of push it around the jig head to get it where you want it before wrapping it with thread.  I start with the jig upside down (hook gap down) tie in what will eventually be the bottom color (usually white for me) then turn it over (hook gap up) to tie in the top (usually darker) color.  After that I add some flash on the sides.  I usually tie using the round ball type jig heads but I take a pair of pliers and nip off the little "bud" that sticks up a bit on the hook gap side of the jig.  That "bud" will separate the darker top layer of hair if you don't.  Maribou also works good in place of the deer hair.  With hair, you may want to experiment some with the amount of hair you use.  Too much hair can make the jig too stiff as the hair doesn't have as much freedom to move around.  FWIW, I often use nail polish for glue/head cement.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Mar 12, 2015, 09:15 PM »
How do you like to tip your airplane jigs? I like to use them also, thanks much

I usually tip with a chunk of cisco.
I will cut a cisco into 2 or 3 pieces and slap it on the main hook. :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.