Author Topic: Water on top of ice??  (Read 1571 times)

Offline tigrr

• Team IceShanty Regular
Water on top of ice??
« on: Apr 07, 2014, 07:36 PM »
I thought it was suppose to be underneath.  Going to be wearing rubberboots out ice fishing.  Slippery enough to consider those no-slip studs for me footware.  Want to get some more of those awesome eastern brookies.  Started working on the rewiring job for my new boat.
Mechanic is coming by to see what is needed to switch from fresh water cooling system to raw water cooling system.  Heat exchanger is ballooned from freezing.  Thats how I bought it.  New one $600 bucks, not in the budget.
Wishing I was Fishing.

Offline ianwuzhere

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOT ICE??
Re: Water on top of ice??
« Reply #1 on: Apr 07, 2014, 11:21 PM »
ya its starting to be that time of year again- still a fair bit of snow out there, but is melting and getting soft in the PG area quick.. Still lots of ice.
ive had some great spring days catching fish.
not sure if gonna head out much this hardwater season.. real anxious to get out the boat and fly gear tho..
~its not over till its soft, --- "tfg".

Offline FirstCast

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Apr 08, 2014, 09:08 PM »
Ya dont trust the ice too much any more. Can be thin ice in the most unexpected places from now on. Looking foreward to ice off down south. Got to land walter just to get that pic I missed in jan. See ya on the water. Yahoo fish on!!!!!!!!

Offline tigrr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Apr 08, 2014, 10:04 PM »
Going out on the lake tomorrow.  Wearing rubber boots to keep the feet dry.  Last trip to the honey hole on the hard water.  Will be looking at all fishing methods ie float tube, small pontoon, tiny boat when the ice is off.  I will pack my camera this last trip. 
Seen a mosquito today.
Wishing I was Fishing.

Offline Ooberfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • **The Tug is the Drug!**
« Reply #4 on: Apr 09, 2014, 01:08 AM »
Our ice could almost be dug with a spade. The hole lake was water on top. Big black holes in spots. Didn't get close enough to test just how thin it was. No clear ice left. My old timer buddy told me to never go out once the surface water starts to disapear. Buh bye ice season :/ onto mud and open water! Have a fun safe trip out Tigrr.
#adventureisalwaysinseason

Offline tigrr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Apr 09, 2014, 03:02 PM »
3 guys on the ice from 7;30 to 10.  Skunked.  Beautiful morning though.  Swans and geese circling all morning.
Wishing I was Fishing.

Offline dekatronic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Apr 10, 2014, 04:07 PM »
I'm finished ice fishing as of last Sunday.  On that note I bought myself a new rod for the open water ;)

Offline tigrr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Apr 10, 2014, 06:57 PM »
I shut down ice fishing when a 10 foot 2X10 won't span the gap from ice to shore.  Still want a eastern brookie for the smoke house.  Then I'll have a variety of trout to test. 
Wishing I was Fishing.

Offline dekatronic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Apr 10, 2014, 10:55 PM »
I shut down ice fishing when a 10 foot 2X10 won't span the gap from ice to shore.  Still want a eastern brookie for the smoke house.  Then I'll have a variety of trout to test.

Atta boy tigrr!  Did the same as you three weeks ago at a lake here in the Okanagan.  Except my cue to quit that particular lake was when a guy crossing on my plank fell through and got soaked to his chest.  At least he retrieved the plank and threw it to me so I could get back onto shore. 

You're going to love smoked brook trout.  In my opinion smoked kokanee is tops, then brookies, then rainbows.  Not sure where lake trout fit in but I'll look forward to smoking one someday

Offline tigrr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Apr 11, 2014, 07:29 PM »
3 squaw fish, no rainbows.  Try again tomorrow.  Ice is disappearing from the shore.
Wishing I was Fishing.

Offline ianwuzhere

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOT ICE??
« Reply #10 on: Apr 12, 2014, 11:43 AM »
how much ice out on the lake off shore now?
usually when ya get water along the shore a warm wind will break that up quick.

Offline tigrr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Apr 12, 2014, 02:37 PM »
The thinnest ice is still 30 inches deep.  The thickest is 36 inches deep.  The white ice on top of the slush layer is starting to crack when I walk out.  I think it will be safe for a few more weeks/months till it starts to break up.  Stay away from any incoming streams though.  Going out on smaller lakes from now on.  Soon I will be building, so fishing will take a back seat.
Wishing I was Fishing.

Offline tigrr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Apr 12, 2014, 10:01 PM »
Out today betterhalf caught 1 squaw fish.  Had rainbow on but it is still down the hole.  Bites the first couple of minutes then nothing for 2 hours.
Monday till I can go out again. 
Wishing I was Fishing.

Offline tigrr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Apr 13, 2014, 11:58 PM »
Out for a bit today with the betterhalf.  Had a few nibbles but no fish-on.  4" till the transmisson of the power auger hits the ice.  Drill for 16 inches, then it drops 4 inches and drill for another 10.  Gaff is not long enough for this ice.  Thankfully the kokanne and rainbows are not big enough to need it.  I will be packing a plank to get on the ice soon.  Oh a bit of advise is "don't leave your plank where someone will swipe it". 

On another note the rewirering of the boat is coming along fine.  Removed 17 wires from the bundle going from the consol to the engine.  Most were not even connected to anything.  The engine conpartment was best described as a dogs breakfast of wires.  Not any more.  I will put some bus bars in both compartments and reduce the wires even more.  I did not touch the 2 factory wire harnesses at all.
Wishing I was Fishing.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #14 on: Apr 14, 2014, 08:00 AM »
Our ice could almost be dug with a spade. The hole lake was water on top. Big black holes in spots. Didn't get close enough to test just how thin it was. No clear ice left. My old timer buddy told me to never go out once the surface water starts to disapear. Buh bye ice season :/ onto mud and open water! Have a fun safe trip out Tigrr.
  He is right once the water disappears its honeycombed, better watch out!!

Offline ianwuzhere

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOT ICE??
« Reply #15 on: Apr 14, 2014, 10:34 PM »
today woulda been a beauty day to be out- highs of like 14 and sun.
good idea starting to spool up the boat projects, its that transition time of year when its good to get all that stuff done, so its full throttle come days off when the lakes are good to go...

Offline tigrr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Apr 14, 2014, 11:13 PM »
+16C here today.  Bye Bye ice.  The horsefly river is a raging.
Wishing I was Fishing.

Offline ianwuzhere

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOT ICE??
« Reply #17 on: Apr 18, 2014, 10:22 PM »
Ya its staying above freezing now at night. The fraser river is opening up real good now- constant ice chunks floating down river-wont be long now till soft water fishin season..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.