Author Topic: Cant wait for the ice to form  (Read 2311 times)

Offline cl733

• IceShanty Rookie
Cant wait for the ice to form
« on: Oct 02, 2005, 06:13 PM »
 I went into one of these smaller lakes around here that are less than 40ft deep,if they dont winter kill the year before they are usually pretty good fishing the next winter,i only got to it twice all summer but i hooked a half dozen or so each time out,thats my buck 110 knife there,i never weighed them but im sure they were about 3lbs, and i did hook some bigger ones as well,we probably got a half dozen or so of these lakes that made it thru last winter and they should be sweet fishin in another month or so.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
Re: Cant wait for the ice to form
« Reply #1 on: Oct 03, 2005, 11:26 AM »
Nice bows there newbie. Where are you from? Need a few more BC boys on here ;D

Offline cl733

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Oct 03, 2005, 11:09 PM »
from the interior around kamloops these were from smaller chain lakes that didnt winter kill last winter,i seen a picture from a guy who was allowed on some private property on a small lake and he claimed it was 9 pounds it sure looked huge ,not too many of those around though that are easy to get to,we have a lake called Logan lake,blacktop to the lake that was stocked by highland valley Copper with fish they collected from draining some other lakes,where you can hook onto a 5-9 lber that sure catches your attention,its a small lake not to deep as well and gets alot of pressure

Offline Josephs Prairie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • See you on the ice!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 04, 2005, 01:50 AM »
Howdy guys,
I can't wait for some ice too. How have you been Terry?
Nice fish but they don't look like they are 3lbs to me, they acually look like there have lost some weight because their bellies look shrunk. Could be just the picture, or the time out of water but they do look a little funny. Sorry, not trying to sound rude.
Good Luck this season!
NAFC Life Member
Catcherman.com Staff
B&D Custom Lures Pro Staff

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 04, 2005, 10:12 AM »
Nice fish and welcome, What lakes do you ice fish around Kamloops in the winter?

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 04, 2005, 10:45 AM »
Kamloops heh ;D Do you ever fish in the Rotary Classic Icefishing Derby? I went to it 2 yrs ago but unfortunately has been cancelled 2 times in the last 3 years. Hope they have enough ice this year. Anyway welcome to a great forum if you like hardwater.

Heh JP, you ole dog. I'm doing well. Just bought a 1994 Ford F150XL 4x4. Want to build a shack of the more permanent variety to haul to our lakes when the temp get below -30. Do you guys fish in shacks much down south?

Offline cl733

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Oct 04, 2005, 09:04 PM »
Well i shoulda weighed them wouldnt have been much off 3 lbs never did the derby on shumway but drove by there when it was on and there are sure alot of people who do though,they should have it about 3 weeks earlier for they always have it when we get our first melts around here,i use a snowmobile so pretty well all the lakes are accessible to me, my dad used to take us kids when we were little,and he liked fishing summer and winter,so we got to know where just about all the lakes in the  immediate area,on a sled even the ugliest roads are accessible,don't have any favorites,work too hard in the summer to do much summer fish-in,but i sure like getting out with my dad in the winter,hes 75 looks 55 got his own sled leaves at 430 in the morning with his power auger and heaters,we always meet him on the lake a little later,we got ling cod at a couple of lakes within an hour,my pappy loves them and caught a 17 lber a few years back and had a tough time getting it thru a 8 inch hole

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 04, 2005, 09:33 PM »
Yeah a buddy and I landed 2 burbot 17.5lbs and 17.2lbs spring 2004. Not able to get any that big last winter or this spring :'( Hope to get bigger next winter. Great fun jigging for them in late Feb early March.

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
« Reply #8 on: Oct 26, 2005, 01:23 AM »
Well seems that I've missed most of the conversation! Me boys! It's good to be back in the fall time! Terry I would be highly indebted to you if you'd keep an eye on the ice situation at gravelpit lake (if you're coming into town) as we draw nearer to cold weather. I want to hit there as soon as I have enough ice to stand on ;D About a week after that you'll find me on the trail in the park. I can't wait to get in there. If this year is anything like last year it's going to be a blast.
KRIS

2007 Lake Trout Champion. Bring it on!

"I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude"
-Thoreau

Offline Josephs Prairie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • See you on the ice!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 26, 2005, 01:47 AM »
Don't use shacks to much around here Terry, plus the good ones are hard to find. I sure would like that new sleeper but it is probably around $1000 CDN. I saw it on the NAFC web site, under new ice fishing gear.Almost bought a 4 man Frabil but didn't get to the store in time and it was gone. I might have to go down south to find one at a decent price.
To bad you bought a Ford, guess you won't be gettin' around much this winter...LOL
NAFC Life Member
Catcherman.com Staff
B&D Custom Lures Pro Staff

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 26, 2005, 09:04 AM »
I hear ya JP. I'm usually a chevy guy but at the price, I couldn't pass it up ;D. I've bought a set of 4 tires for more than the price of the truck. Low kms. Trust me I'm not bragging it up but it has hauled me out of a few tight spots already this hunting season.
I think I'm going to build a permanent shack to haul around on my trailer but don't think it will be this winter. I have a Frabil "speed shak". Moves around nicely. Keeps the wind off and nice when its below -30.

PGKris: I will be leaving for Ontario on Oct 30 and returning Nov 16. I will be able to inform you after that return date. Gravelpit is one of the first low level lakes to freeze up. Its my practice lake for coarse fish derbies.
Walks in the park are very good first ice. (Bye.. ;)2 , bye.. ;)2) Let me know how you do.

Offline MikePike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I caught you a delicious pike
« Reply #11 on: Oct 26, 2005, 11:33 AM »
Holy run-on sentence batman! Sounds great, and awesome bows. be sure to check in with us ontarians ( DId i just make up a word?)

Do the leaves of trees stay greener, in the autumn, does the colour of the sun, turn crimson white? Does a shadow come between us, in the winter?

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 26, 2005, 09:42 PM »
Or Ontarionites. We sometimes talk in codes up here Mikepike. Have too many lurkers that are looking for my hotspots. ;)2

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
« Reply #13 on: Nov 02, 2005, 01:42 PM »
Thanks TGF right about the 16th is when I'm expecting it to be getting covered. By the temp in Eena lake last night she'll be froze up in a couple weeks! Man that was a cold float tube ride last night! I got one about 15 inches. Finally got one on that lake in open water. I might be going for a walk in the park around the 6th with the tube.....gonna be a chilly one methinks
KRIS

2007 Lake Trout Champion. Bring it on!

"I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude"
-Thoreau

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.