The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Pistol Bit blade bolts coming loose  (Read 1606 times)

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends use tipups!
Pistol Bit blade bolts coming loose
« on: Feb 18, 2019, 02:54 PM »
So far so good with the 8" Pistol Bit this season running off a Milwaukee Fuel.  On hard ice you just have to really feather the drill trigger until it bites to avoid the walking issue since there's no centering point.  This weekend after a few holes and a couple mile run on the atv I noticed one of the blades was dangllng and I realized I lost a bolt and the other was about to fall out on one side.  I called Eskimo and they are sending a replacement but it might be a good idea to keep a close eye on those and when I get the new ones I'm going to use some locktight when I put them back in.  The guy at Eskimo also recommend tightening the outside bolt first and then the inside one.  Anyway it's been a great auger other than that minor mishap. 

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Pistol Bit blade bolts coming loose
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2019, 03:08 PM »
Have to watch that with any auger.kind of a maintenance thing,i check my blades/bolts after every trip.i lost a 8” mora blade hand augering before.

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends use tipups!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2019, 03:19 PM »
Have to watch that with any auger.kind of a maintenance thing,i check my blades/bolts after every trip.i lost a 8” mora blade hand augering before.

I've been using Nils augers for so many years I never had to worry about it but yes lesson learned. 

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2019, 03:43 PM »

Several years back when SM first came out with their Lazer drills the owner of the shop I worked at got one of the very first. We were all excited and went directly to the lake across the street. Fourth hole really got hung at the bottom and the fifth wouldn't even start. Lost one of the blades down the hole on #4  :P

So yep, check yer blades! For me, I install with LocTite then I don't have to worry about it. Good practice  ;)2
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2019, 07:52 PM »
I usually grab the blade with a pair of pliers every few trips and give it a wiggle, you'll know if its loose. Also lost a lazer blade in a hole once, been checking ever since.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Coachkwj

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2019, 03:54 PM »

Several years back when SM first came out with their Lazer drills the owner of the shop I worked at got one of the very first. We were all excited and went directly to the lake across the street. Fourth hole really got hung at the bottom and the fifth wouldn't even start. Lost one of the blades down the hole on #4  :P

So yep, check yer blades! For me, I install with LocTite then I don't have to worry about it. Good practice  ;)2
Blue removable Loctite will save you some blades.
Don't fall in. Unless it's a big one.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.