Author Topic: Ice augers...manual  (Read 1253 times)

Offline Barkar

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice augers...manual
« on: Dec 04, 2005, 01:55 PM »

I have noticed that the newer manual ice augers have curved blades instead of the straight edged blades used on days gone by. I have never used a curved bladed auger and am wondering if there is an improvement in cutting and in how long they stay sharp? Both Canadian Tire and Wall-Mart have 6" curve bladed augers. Any opinions?

Barkar

Offline AzuluSpookd

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Ice augers...manual
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2005, 02:06 PM »
Last year, Sawlog bought a 6 inch Finbore III, that has curved blades...cuts through the ice like butter...just not sure it is because its only a 6 inch or because of the curved blades... ???

Offline Tambo

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Ice augers...manual
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2005, 02:43 PM »
Before buying a gas auger, I used both the Finbore III 4.5 and 8 inch augers.  The smaller auger cuts faster than a gas powered auger, but the hole is small, only good for perch and other pannies.  The 8 inch auger was great when it was brand new.  Once I had to replace the blades, I could never get it to cut the same way.  Once the perfect angle of the blade is gone, its  tough to cut with.  by the end, the auger would only spin on the ice...impossible to cut with. 

To answer your question, the curved blades of the Fin III are supposed to make cutting more effective.  I would say stay away from any 8 inch manual.
Tam bo

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.