Author Topic: Anywhere besided CBR and Red River  (Read 2699 times)

Offline 30-30

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anywhere besided CBR and Red River
« on: Dec 11, 2010, 06:03 PM »
By earlier posts, looks like we may have another good season!!
Wondering where else is good around January.  Tired of Chalet and can't stomach the harassment on the Red...even when you are behaving yourself.  Looking for something within an hour of Winnipeg, does not have to be Walleye....any thoughts??

Good Luck and Good Fishing to You!!!

Offline tgray_21

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Anywhere besided CBR and Red River
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2010, 02:07 PM »
you can try winnipeg beach. you can drive down the boat launch in the marina right onto the ice pretty far. the town plows it, can even drive a car on the ice if wanted. usually pretty good fishing.

Offline 30-30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2010, 02:25 PM »
Thanks man, just trying to find a place where a guy can do some serious fishing in peace.

Offline gillishammer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Here fishy fishy fishy
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2010, 01:02 AM »
you can try winnipeg beach. you can drive down the boat launch in the marina right onto the ice pretty far. the town plows it, can even drive a car on the ice if wanted. usually pretty good fishing.

have you been out that way yet?are guys fishn there,ice must be pretty thick by now.thanx
GILLISHAMMER

Offline tgray_21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2010, 07:08 PM »
have you been out that way yet?are guys fishn there,ice must be pretty thick by now.thanx

not sure im gonna phone some family out there to see cause i wouldnt mind going out there this weekend. i think i know you are you kevin andersons buddy

Offline gillishammer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Here fishy fishy fishy
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2010, 11:28 PM »
Ya me and Kevin are buds,if u don't mind could u post the ice conditions when you find out.thanx dude take care
GILLISHAMMER

Offline tgray_21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2010, 12:34 AM »
Ya me and Kevin are buds,if u don't mind could u post the ice conditions when you find out.thanx dude take care

im Tim i live down the street from kevin. but i phoned out there and i was told they have shacks out already. unsure of the thickness and how there getting them out there weather it be trucks or sleds Prob. go out there saturday and check it out for myself.

Offline icebraker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont catch today? There is alway's tommorow!!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2010, 02:25 PM »
hey 30-30.

Lake manitoba at Delta Beach or Twin might be a good place to try. out on that lake it can be you and nothing but the wide open space. I have never seen it crowded and even if there is a few people around you can stay away from the crowd if you so choose. The fishing perhaps, would be better due to less noise. If the bite is on, you can have non stop action for perch and/or tulebee and usually good size ones. The odd walleye, pike and burbot will occasionally bite a perch lure, after catching a few dozen perch a walleye, pike or burbot on your line will give you an awesome thrill. Unfortunately Delta Beach has been slow the last few years. I my self like fishing it. I also stay closer to the crowd because I do not mind socializing a bit when the bite is slow.
I can't give you more info on ice, driving conditions and such because I have not ventured out this year. However after Christmas I will be out there and I will post all the info. Usually the good perch bite is not on until feb/march but I have had good fishing around christmas too in the the past.
It might be a wee bit over an hour drive but if the fishing is good it's well worth it.
<'(()))<

Offline 30-30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2010, 05:36 PM »
Thanks man, I will check it out.

Offline hoghammer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2010, 11:05 AM »
I agree with Lake Manitoba for perch. Me and my buddies hit it a couple times a year for the perch. Its a great place to take a kid when the bite is on. If you find them you can catch them all day long. You might have to move a few hundred yards during the day to stay on them. Taste almost as good as the eyes.

Offline 30-30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2010, 11:15 AM »
A big thanks to you as well, man this is a nice message board.  A friend of mine says there is some nice jack fishing near Petersfield as well, so I will have to tour that area.  Not antisocial at all, just kept getting bothered by authorities last year every time I was on the Red.  They made me reel in and I lost the only fish I had all day.....I guess they are doing their job, but I want some peace.

Thanks again to to you and all of the folks who replied....the more the merrier!!!!

Offline hoghammer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 17, 2010, 12:29 PM »
I only got checked twice in the last 3 years out on the lake at Chalet beach area. I probably hit the lake there 30 times a year.  But I got checked twice last year coming off the ice. They had a checkstop about a half a mile from the lake and after a quick look into the back of my truck I was away. They did nail some guys for drinking and driving and a couple guys were over their limit. Not much of a hassle if you play by the rules. 

Offline 30-30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 17, 2010, 01:55 PM »
I don't get out that much, you are very lucky.  4 times on the Red, got checked 4 times.  Twice by the "swat" team.  Once to Chalet and got checked once.  Legal through and through.  I am all for the anti drunk driving thing, but I prefer to be left alone.  Still mad about losing my one lousy fish that day.

Maybe just my luck....hope this season is good and that I get out more.

Offline Live2fish5

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2010, 04:32 PM »
I don't consider being checked by the CO's harassment, In my opinion I would be very happy to get checked every time because it means there doing there job. I can see you not liking being checked if you get the odd ass checking you who thinks hes on top of the world being a CO but for the most part if your friendly they will be friendly and if you are following the law you got nothing to worry about. I just find it funny you are asking for a fishing spot which you will never get checked by a CO? Anyway Happy fishing! and theres alot of places around lake Winnipeg which arn't touched by fishing pressure .... 11th largest lake in the world  ;D

Offline 30-30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 17, 2010, 04:41 PM »
The CO thing was not the reason for my question, it was just an aggravating circumstance and I never had any issues with them. I have nothing to hide.  A million cars and sleds is no better in my opinion.  Sport is getting "too" popular, but not in a good way.

Guess my thread got a bit off track.

Just looking for somewhere off the beaten path for a change....good luck to you too.  Maybe we will fish quietly together someday.

Offline sled dude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 19, 2010, 01:36 AM »
what exactly is cbr

Offline Leemb1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 19, 2010, 03:23 AM »
Chalet Beach Road on the soluth end of Lake Winnipeg

Offline sled dude