Author Topic: Wallum...Gorgeous Day...No Fish...Again!!!!  (Read 479 times)

Offline microwelder77

• IceShanty Rookie
Wallum...Gorgeous Day...No Fish...Again!!!!
« on: Feb 20, 2010, 11:06 PM »
Heard about a 14 lb Salmon coming through the ice on Thursday so I decided to give Wallum another try today...My son and I fished right on the Ma/RI line for five hours with small pins (5 ft down) and didn't get a single flag.  Counted 35 other parties out on the ice along with us (175 tilts or more!!!) and like myself....nothing.   Aside from some crappy fishing...we did eat very well and shared many many Budweisers between all the parties....God I love ice fishing....what a great way to spend a day with your family and friends!!!  BTW....ice was wet on top (50 degrees!!!) but a good 8-12 inches thick so fishing should be good right till the end of the month...catching....ho wever is another story on this lake!!!

Offline Cold Ice Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Conserve and protect the environment
Re: Wallum...Gorgeous Day...No Fish...Again!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2010, 04:56 AM »
thats wallum...but I have heard, from a resident up there of 3 large salmon taken in the last few weeks. are you using mono leaders? when I fished up there i would use small to medium shiners not pin heads..the lake is full of alwives and forage is no problem for the game fish..could be the reason for slow days..
good luck
cold ice steve
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't care and the people that do don't matter.

Offline BaitWrangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's a trap!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2010, 11:20 AM »
Micro if your interested in Salmon fishing shoot me a PM.  :tipup:

Offline Two Bobs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2010, 05:40 AM »
Yes

My fishing buddy Ron caught a 15 lb and some ounces salmon and threw it back in for someone else to catch

Bob ;D

Offline Cold Ice Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Conserve and protect the environment
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2010, 06:20 AM »
hey micro,
I was thinking about fishing wallum and i remembered talking to a state biologist out there years ago...he was checking oxygen levels at various depths late in the season. he told me to fish at a certain level where the oxygen level was the highest.
at wallum because there is little stream fed water, oxygen levels fall late in the season. the lake relies on wind action to oxygenate the water and the longer the ice cover remains the lower the oxygen levels get. also the levels tend to stratify in layers a various depths and the fish tend to stay in the higher oxygenated layers..so try to vary your depths perhaps.
cya on the cold ice
Steve
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't care and the people that do don't matter.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.