Author Topic: Pout  (Read 3529 times)

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
Pout
« on: Nov 20, 2007, 11:38 PM »
I see everyone talk about what they do to pout, lobster style stuff, but 7up?  Just 7up in the pot, or do you guys cut it?  How long do you boil it in there?  Just flakey?  I'm just a FIP w/ some pout in the freezer from last season, & want to try a couple different ways of cooking it!  I'm up for anything but chowders!  Thanks,

Jimmy

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
Re: Pout
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2007, 06:37 AM »
I have tried it boiled and dipped in lemon/garlic butter, etc., and it is not my favorite.  I prefer it just panfried or deep fried with your favorite recipe, just like any other white meat fish, just as good as walleye or better.  Its freshwater cod and cod is fried lots.  I cooked one up the other day, and one piece I guess had a little fat on it, and that one piece had a stronger taste, almost exactly as those store bought pre-cooked cod fillets, or any fish and chips made with cod that I have had in a restaurant.  So if you don't like that taste make sure to remove any of that brown fat if there is any left on the fillet, it wasn't a bad taste, just alittle stronger fish taste, still not quite as strong as any cod I have had though.

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2007, 03:53 PM »
i'll second that, i boiled em few times didn't like it at all. thought it was kinda gross actually. now we deep fry em in a light seasoned batter or in fish crisp. ever since we started preparing them this way i really enjoy it.  i'll second what MA said just as good as walleye if not better.
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Offline Stump Puller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2007, 07:29 PM »
Cook it on a plank, just like salmon. When it's done, throw the fish out, and eat the plank. ;D
Be safe out there, and set the iron.

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2007, 08:26 PM »
Cook it on a plank, just like salmon. When it's done, throw the fish out, and eat the plank. ;D
I guess Stump isn't too fond of them!  They must all taste like toothpicks to him!

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2007, 09:21 PM »
One of my favorite is cut meat in bite size chunks and dry with paper towel. Then put chunks in glass baking dish and mix in some blue cheese dressing (enough to coat all pieces), cut some red onion and put on top of fish, sprinkle some blue cheese or feta crumbles on top and bake at 350 till meat is flaky (approx 35 mins). Serve on rice :P

Or beer battered deep fried cod is yummy too.

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2007, 08:36 AM »
that sounds pretty good, terry.  i'm gonna have to try that

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2007, 04:19 PM »
 That sounds interesting, sorta how my gf makes haddock
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2007, 04:16 AM »
Jimmygunns,
Try it steamed in beer!  I like to pour some beer in the bottom of a pot with one bay leaf, 3 crushed garlic cloves, some sea salt, and lot's of cracked pepper.  Place your steamer rack (cheesy accordion type you can buy at any department store), and bring to a low boil.  Place burbot chunks on top of rack, and steam covered for 10 minutes or so...  Serve with some clarified salted butter and it's fantastic.  If it's a fishy burbot your dealing with, then add some old bay seasoning to the recipe and don't skimp, (same as what those east coast folks do to those tiny blue crabs to kill the fishiness and make them tasty!)  Not for the diet conscience. :D
TEAM ALASKA

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2007, 03:54 PM »
Jimmygunns,
Try it steamed in beer!  I like to pour some beer in the bottom of a pot with one bay leaf, 3 crushed garlic cloves, some sea salt, and lot's of cracked pepper.  Place your steamer rack (cheesy accordion type you can buy at any department store), and bring to a low boil.  Place burbot chunks on top of rack, and steam covered for 10 minutes or so...  Serve with some clarified salted butter and it's fantastic.  If it's a fishy burbot your dealing with, then add some old bay seasoning to the recipe and don't skimp, (same as what those east coast folks do to those tiny blue crabs to kill the fishiness and make them tasty!)  Not for the diet conscience. :D
Now that sounds like one I'm going to try!

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2007, 05:07 PM »
we landed around 60 lbs of burbot yesterday, cooked up a bunch last night in cajun fish crisp,still the #1 eating fish in my books.
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Offline MrMarty51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 25, 2007, 12:32 AM »
I see everyone talk about what they do to pout, lobster style stuff, but 7up?  Just 7up in the pot, or do you guys cut it?  How long do you boil it in there?  Just flakey?  I'm just a FIP w/ some pout in the freezer from last season, & want to try a couple different ways of cooking it!  I'm up for anything but chowders!  Thanks,

Jimmy
Cut in bite size pieces and browned with your favorite seasonings then make it into a chowder and seasoned to taste .works great for icefishin snackin when warmed over the little buddy heater.

"Every hour spent fishing is NOT taken from ones life"Quote from Grant Boyson

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.