Author Topic: Ugly Stik Rod and reel Dock Runners  (Read 2320 times)

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Ugly Stik Rod and reel Dock Runners
« on: Oct 19, 2018, 09:08 PM »
Ok so I was planing on buying a couple more rods this year and instead of the GX2 rods 30" long for $19.99 I bought the Dock Runners $14.96 (non GX2) with the cheap reels. The rods say Medium but compared to the Medium GX2 I would call them Medium Heavy which is what I would have bought in the GX2 anyway. So I will put a couple of better reels on them which I already have and put those cheap reels on the other rods for spares. The Dock runners are 36" which will work for Most Lakers and Pike I would catch.
<===Lefty===

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ugly Stik Rod and reel Dock Runners
« Reply #1 on: Oct 19, 2018, 09:17 PM »
I got mine rigged up the other night. I put the okuma reel I recently got on it. Had to strip and clean the reel, but now that it’s got the right grease it passes the freezer test. I got two of the combos, might get a third so I can have two on my ice riggers, or to let a friend use while out. Just need more reels, although the stock reel didn’t feel too bad when I gave it the freezer since I had it laying around lol.  I agree on the action compared to the MH on the gx2 ice models, which really works out great, I too got it for lake trout and possibly pike.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #2 on: Oct 24, 2018, 01:36 PM »
These are like secret Ice fishing rods...they just need a bait casting version.  And maybe make a light or ultralight model.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 24, 2018, 03:17 PM »
These are like secret Ice fishing rods...they just need a bait casting version.  And maybe make a light or ultralight model.
There’s a spin cast version, so could just slap a baitcaster on it.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Oct 24, 2018, 04:02 PM »
I think that one is a lot shorter by 6".
<===Lefty===

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Oct 24, 2018, 04:09 PM »
I got mine rigged up the other night. I put the okuma reel I recently got on it. Had to strip and clean the reel, but now that it’s got the right grease it passes the freezer test. I got two of the combos, might get a third so I can have two on my ice riggers, or to let a friend use while out. Just need more reels, although the stock reel didn’t feel too bad when I gave it the freezer since I had it laying around lol.  I agree on the action compared to the MH on the gx2 ice models, which really works out great, I too got it for lake trout and possibly pike.

Starting to set up some Laker rod/reels and went with the Okuma reels and some Shakespeare ugly sticks and wild series rod ...will have too look into the 36" Dock Runners as a longer option . 
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Oct 24, 2018, 04:48 PM »

LOL yes the zebco one and there's the green Shakespeare one...has good light action load but just two line guide and tip.  They are much shorter.  Needs to be 3-4' just to be perfect.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 24, 2018, 06:26 PM »
LOL yes the zebco one and there's the green Shakespeare one...has good light action load but just two line guide and tip.  They are much shorter.  Needs to be 3-4' just to be perfect.
Hmm, my bad, I swear I saw a dock runner with spin cast, maybe it was just one of the kiddie rods.  Maybe pick up a Superman rod!   

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Oct 24, 2018, 06:31 PM »
Of course Mills Fleet Farm had some yellow ugly stick rods one year with spincast models, 3' long.  Of course they only had cheapo wire line guides.  Lots of line rubbing on blanks.  These would have made good rods with cheap line guides that bends under pressure.  Maybe they'll bring them back.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Oct 24, 2018, 06:51 PM »
I have a Mitchell Brush'n Rod 36" heavy rod . I bought 10 of them off ebay once and only kept one. Great for Lakers and Pike. I haven't found any since I got them.
<===Lefty===

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.