Author Topic: What other hobbies do you have?  (Read 4464 times)

Offline Foosty

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici.
Re: What other hobbies do you have?
« Reply #60 on: Oct 24, 2018, 06:59 PM »
Bass and muskie fishing soft water

Hunting-deer, turkey, 'yotes

Reading fiction, mostly  murder/mystery
!!!FISH ON!!!

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Oct 24, 2018, 07:55 PM »
C'mon man... What fun is it if you can't have a little fun?  ;)2  :clap:
No I thought your comment was hilarious, just saying we’re all kinda chomping at the bits it seems lol. Ice shanty has been busier than MFF for a while now lol.

Offline P.Smith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Oct 25, 2018, 01:31 AM »
AWESOME PICTURE!!!
LOVE IT
Thanks Fishinjohn,  nothing like sitting on top of a mountain and clearing your head 😁
Why do things today that can be put off till tomorrow, or next week???? Let's go Ice-fishing!!!!

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Oct 25, 2018, 03:16 AM »

@p. Smith How many # you pulling back on that long bow ?? Just to let people know this is not like hunting with those sisy compound bows.. this is why I ask.cause he hunts bears... . there is 0% let off and your holding the amount back he states  before you release.. so to hold it back and have game not turned right equals bad opertunity as in a missed shot or a gut shot animal.. I know your a big guy cause of the mma I guessing 50 to 70 #  but might be up wards of a 120# pull. .

I got my recurves  the biggest pull back is 70# smallest 35# biggest pull back was on a pse king fisher I restrung with a fast flight string from 3 rivers archery..  the next smallest was a warden bow from cabelas at 50#...  the next smallest of mine is a hastings action bolt at 48#pull...  next lightest  is a bear polar bear silver medalion with a 45#...  lastly  is a york brand at 35#  my dad's father bought him to get hunting...

I have been wanting to try a bear bow with a 120#pull back but just have not had the right timeing to find one..

I do admire you for buidling your own bows p. smith that's one Hobbie I want to try sooner or later.. by the time I get to it I may only be able to pull back 35# and be weak and frail by then..

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #64 on: Oct 25, 2018, 06:50 AM »
No I thought your comment was hilarious, just saying we’re all kinda chomping at the bits it seems lol. Ice shanty has been busier than MFF for a while now lol.

Just tryin' to hold up my end (of the fun log), I love this place!  ;D
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Oct 25, 2018, 09:42 AM »

Dude!  That mower kicks ass! What would that cost a guy? The restoration work, and or, a finished mower?

Boy IDK, I bought it locally for $120 to tinker with since I always wanted a ford yard tractor. I have another $200 in it right now and a ton of time. Still needs a carb, drivebelt and some more tinkering with the transmission. I might just offload it for $750ish when done. I was going to use it plow snow but it looks too damn nice to get all dirty lol

Catchin' Fish

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #66 on: Oct 25, 2018, 10:32 AM »
Other than ice fishing-

Make - wine, shine, mead and beer
hunt - deer, turkey, pheasant, chukar, huns, doves, small game
fish for (salt boat and shore) - fluke, seabass, black fish, striped bass, blue fish, scup and now albies, bones and salt run white perch
fish for (freshwater boat and shore) trout, bass, crappie, white perch, carp, lakers, catfish and salmon
fly fish
spearfish (dive) - black fish, crabs and lobster
Forage for 35 plus edible mushroom species as well as some plants followed by drying or selling them
Garden
Ski
beekeeper
make sausage and kielbasa
smoke food
butcher/fillet and package
run my 3 pointers
fly tying
tie my own rigs and jigs
cook and grill
shoot trap, skeet, sporting clays and pistols
reload
and now my favorite hobby of all - Hang out with my 2 year old at home, in the woods, or on a boat.

Just add water.

Offline P.Smith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Oct 25, 2018, 01:13 PM »
@p. Smith How many # you pulling back on that long bow ?? Just to let people know this is not like hunting with those sisy compound bows.. this is why I ask.cause he hunts bears... . there is 0% let off and your holding the amount back he states  before you release.. so to hold it back and have game not turned right equals bad opertunity as in a missed shot or a gut shot animal.. I know your a big guy cause of the mma I guessing 50 to 70 #  but might be up wards of a 120# pull. .

I got my recurves  the biggest pull back is 70# smallest 35# biggest pull back was on a pse king fisher I restrung with a fast flight string from 3 rivers archery..  the next smallest was a warden bow from cabelas at 50#...  the next smallest of mine is a hastings action bolt at 48#pull...  next lightest  is a bear polar bear silver medalion with a 45#...  lastly  is a york brand at 35#  my dad's father bought him to get hunting...

I have been wanting to try a bear bow with a 120#pull back but just have not had the right timeing to find one..

I do admire you for buidling your own bows p. smith that's one Hobbie I want to try sooner or later.. by the time I get to it I may only be able to pull back 35# and be weak and frail by then..

Thanks Chilly Willy , My hunting bows are just 65# and I shoot a 804gr Douglas fir arrow .

Why do things today that can be put off till tomorrow, or next week???? Let's go Ice-fishing!!!!

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Oct 25, 2018, 03:12 PM »

Thanks Chilly Willy , My hunting bows are just 65# and I shoot a 804gr Douglas fir arrow .

Nice I have went more moden I have been  shooting carbon..  with a sight on my bow .  Lol's I am able to stack arrows one next to the other with it.. I am sure you do the same no sight lols. 

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Oct 25, 2018, 04:56 PM »
Lefty, my primary hobby is fishing as well. I just started a new hobby - making my own plastic baits. Being as cheap as I am, I also make my own molds out of Plaster of Paris. I have made a mold for Senkos, various paddle tails, sharp tail worms, Burkes 5" earthworm, 7" FinS, 5" FinS. gonna work on a couple of other molds soon.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #70 on: Oct 25, 2018, 05:00 PM »
Lefty, my primary hobby is fishing as well. I just started a new hobby - making my own plastic baits. Being as cheap as I am, I also make my own molds out of Plaster of Paris. I have made a mold for Senkos, various paddle tails, sharp tail worms, Burkes 5" earthworm, 7" FinS, 5" FinS. gonna work on a couple of other molds soon.

Those look real good. Anything with a paddle on it works pretty good.
<===Lefty===

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #71 on: Oct 25, 2018, 06:42 PM »

Nice molds hammah! BTW I prefer "value minded" as opposed to "cheap". Have you checked out a product called Durhams Rock Hard Putty? I've used that for lead molds and properly dried/cured they are remarkably durable. Much more so that Plaster. Find it at your local hardware store, probably very close to the PoP.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Oct 25, 2018, 06:48 PM »
Those look real good. Anything with a paddle on it works pretty good.
easy enuf to do, too. Plaster is cheap, (I mean inexpensive) so if you don't like what you did, you can toss is and try again. I think I only tossed 1 mold. It's fun. Just got to be well ventilated cuz the fumes are not healthy for you.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Oct 25, 2018, 06:50 PM »
Nice molds hammah! BTW I prefer "value minded" as opposed to "cheap". Have you checked out a product called Durhams Rock Hard Putty? I've used that for lead molds and properly dried/cured they are remarkably durable. Much more so that Plaster. Find it at your local hardware store, probably very close to the PoP.
Rock Hard Putty? will withstand the high temp of melted lead?. I have been thinking of making shad  and bullet heads

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Oct 25, 2018, 06:51 PM »
watched a lot of you tube videos too. Tackleunderground.com was helpful as well

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #75 on: Oct 26, 2018, 06:10 AM »
Rock Hard Putty? will withstand the high temp of melted lead?. I have been thinking of making shad  and bullet heads

I used it for some prototype and knockoff molds for short run lead. Gotta be completely dried out or they'll crack instantly from the steam from the internal moisture. A few hours in the oven low and slow works. Much harder than plaster and better detail (IMO). I'd think it would be a much more durable choice for plastic pouring. With lead if I was careful I'd get several dozen pours with lead before I started to see issues with chipping and cracking of the mold. Bear in mind that lead pours at a much hotter temp than plastic, around 650F and lead cools comparatively hard as opposed to plastic.

Really, unless you have a unique mold design or tweak, commercially available molds are relatively inexpensive and last for thousands of pours with minimal care. Around $35 gets you a standard aluminum mold in your choice of style with multiple sizes. If you shop fleaBay you can score an excellent used (or even unused) mold for as little as $20.

I've got some Alumilite stuff I have yet to play with as well. Silicone mold material for plastic, lead or resin casting and some cool powder for coloring plastics almost like paint. Based on the look of your molds you may have seen some of their stuff on youtube (marbles to index the mold halves  ;D)

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #76 on: Oct 30, 2018, 03:49 PM »
lefty2053, I'm with you, getting OLD... fishing is my primary recreational activity. I still hunt and trap, but just in a very limited way. Most of my hobbies are done the same way, very limited. Except eating, it's the one hobby where I can excel!   ;D

Eating
Fishing; ice, kayak, fly
Dr. Appointments
Hunting; turkey, deer
Trapping
Gardening
NHL. Blackhawks
NASCAR, Chase Elliot
Woodworking
Collecting Outdoor Stuff; lures, traps, reels, licenses, whatever strikes me...
I also play around with making short videos(YouTube)and watching YouTube videos
And yes eating!

Doing a little trapping while waiting for the ice can be rewarding...
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Tye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Oct 30, 2018, 04:33 PM »
When I'm not fishing it's because I am either working, taking care of my two kids or playing hockey. I hunt also but haven't done much hunting in the past few years.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #78 on: Oct 30, 2018, 05:42 PM »
Doing a little trapping while waiting for the ice can be rewarding...

Bart, are both those guys you?
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #79 on: Oct 30, 2018, 05:56 PM »
Bart, are both those guys you?

Nope, ones a fisher and ones Bart...  ;)
Or were you talking about that young guy with a dark beard in his avitar?      :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #80 on: Oct 30, 2018, 06:05 PM »
Or were you talking about that young guy with a dark beard in his avitar?      :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Yeah, that guy!  My mental image of Bart just got a seismic shift.   ;)
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #81 on: Oct 31, 2018, 07:31 AM »
Yeah, they are both me, after 30+ years I have grayed just a little... 

I kinda view myself as a combination of John Gustafson and Max Goldman, but grumpier.  ;D

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.