Author Topic: handheld gps  (Read 2264 times)

onice2013

Re: handheld gps
« Reply #30 on: Dec 14, 2012, 05:50 PM »
I'm going to use my mojo to locate the drops until I find a reasonably priced handheld device. I would have to see one work on the lakes I fish before buying one.

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 14, 2012, 06:10 PM »
$250.00 is more than a reasonable price for a Garmin 550t! New York must not get any of the outdoors and ice fishing t.v. shows for someone not to see how they work and can cut down on time spent scouting ;D. In-fisherman and Lindner's all cover this subject fairly well, doesn't matter if its a handheld or Lowrance/Humminbird sonar units. Nice thing about the handheld is it can be used for hunting, hiking, mushroomin', etc... We use them to mark our wild asparagus patches that grow in the ditches.

onice2013

« Reply #32 on: Dec 14, 2012, 06:27 PM »
I'm sure they work great but in all honesty, the lakes I fish are probably too small to bother with a gps device.. besides, I learned these lakes contours by using my depth sonar over the seasons. If the fish aren't visible or cooperating on a small lake's hotspots, why would I bother with a gps ??? I could see if I were roaming miles in the backwoods or snowmobiling a huge inland body of water with the data map and all but, I doubt the device is worth such an investment on ponds or small lakes in my region. I think marking fish on my showdown is more important than a handheld GPS. Plus, I'm not buying no maps to install and find out the program does not have the small lakes I fish.

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #33 on: Dec 14, 2012, 07:04 PM »
A GPS handheld unit is a GREAT tool to put you back on top of structure. TooLucky406 gives great instructions in the links I posted earlier on how to use google earth to find coordinates to input as waypoints on non-Garmin handheld GPS unit. I use mine to Geocache as well as for fishing and hunting. Most handhelds are accurate within 20ft and units with external antenna reduce that to about 10ft or less. I've tested mine against a couple of U.S. government benchmark markers and found that my Garmin 62st consistently gets me within 10ft of the benchmarks. 

Offline hardwatereyez

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Dec 15, 2012, 08:52 AM »
I received a Garmin Oregon 550t for christmas last year.  Awesome unit!  Downloaded lake maps for it and it really cut down on guess work on a lot of lakes

Offline BobOlink

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Dec 15, 2012, 09:54 AM »
I have the Garmin 62 that replaced my 3plus that lasted at least 15 yrs.and it was a refurbised unit and have very pleased with my 62. The reasonI chose it is because there maps cover the waters I fish. Check there site.
Bob P.

onice2013

« Reply #36 on: Dec 15, 2012, 06:47 PM »
I fish small water, I don't use a quad and just walk ice.. my showdown is just fine for shooting ice..until I feel the need for a quality gps. i'm going to use shoreline landmarks, perhaps a stick in my hotspots to relocate a favorite hole or whatever. cheers!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.