Author Topic: Maumee run  (Read 5689 times)

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Maumee run
« Reply #30 on: Feb 16, 2018, 09:46 AM »
Yes, he is still there.  I think his name is Clarence, not 100% sure on that.  Sure is a fantastic guy to talk with, I always try to buy a little something from him when I go by.

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Feb 16, 2018, 10:12 AM »
Yep its Clarence ;D

Offline Hexagenia51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Feb 16, 2018, 11:19 AM »
My bad his name was Clarence! Man he's been there forever cause I used to call him back in the late 70's to get the report on river levels and run progress. Super nice guy! Glad to hear he's still going! Hex

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Feb 16, 2018, 02:11 PM »
My brother and I used to go a bunch back in the late 70's early 80's and it was some of the best walleye fishing I have ever seen! But the CO's got to be such crooks (I know hard to believe) that we quit going over. Really sad, kangaroo court up town, they make a bundle in fines. Taxi1 was the recipient of a number of those fish(skins) when he was first starting his business. Chad I'd stick with the Steelhead less hassle usually.  Hex

Yeah I know one of those CO's that runs a fish farm business in Ohio that is a real jerk. He was't allowed to run a business as a C.O. so he put the business in his wife's name. Back then they would just come down to the bank and say, "you and you and you were snagging. You can contest it but we'll take your gear and your vehicle." Hopefully that really is over with. 
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Feb 16, 2018, 02:17 PM »
How many of you know there used to be and probably still is a walleye run below the Sylvan Lake Noble County dam? I mounted a 12 pound walleye for a guy fishing there years ago. Apparently some of the Sylvan Lake stocked walleye ended up down stream. Have mounted walleye up to 8 pounds from the lakes downstream that probably originally went over the spill way.

It must still be happening as I mounted a decent walleye for a guy here in Ligonier that was fishing there a couple of springs ago.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Feb 16, 2018, 02:32 PM »
Ive caught many walleyes at the mouth of where the dam spills out into the main body of water. Small xraps in clown color really smoked them. ;D

Offline Hexagenia51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Feb 16, 2018, 02:52 PM »
Last spring it looked like a little maumee down there! Combat fishing at its worst. Parking lot was full alot of times and CO's did show some last year. Hex

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Feb 16, 2018, 03:29 PM »
Last spring it looked like a little maumee down there! Combat fishing at its worst. Parking lot was full alot of times and CO's did show some last year. Hex
yea i believe i was checked every year that i hit that place up when i lived over that way. Now that is just as far of a drive for me as maumee is.

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Feb 16, 2018, 06:23 PM »
Anyone pour their own floaters?  I was thinking about trying it.  I kinda hate to cut into Clarence's retirement plan at the same time though.  He took this picture for me, I guess he got the important stuff in the frame!!!

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Feb 16, 2018, 06:29 PM »
Lol remember that pic. You can get the mold, 1000 1/0 hooks, and poly-styrene for about 150. Paints will dip into the pocket deeper. Then the clearcoat option. Good video on you tube on "making your own floating jigs" ;)

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #40 on: Feb 17, 2018, 06:55 AM »
anyone putting a boat in the maumee better watch the water level.  she can rise a lot over night.  and when it gets even few feet higher than norm it gets dangerous!   you will feel that uneasy feeling of being in danger when your on that river when she is high. NEVER EVER ANCHOR THE BACK OF THE BOAT!   

i havent done it in 30+years because of all the drunk hooks flyin around.  always wanted some of those swim goggles. ;D maybe even a kevlar hoodie.

real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Spooled85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Feb 17, 2018, 09:06 AM »
And from what I've seen better take a few extra props

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Feb 17, 2018, 01:26 PM »
I've seen guys motor right through those big rocks at Blue Grass, crazy.  Good place to loose a lower unit and not just a prop!

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #43 on: Feb 17, 2018, 01:29 PM »
They must be fishing mouth in boats with no ice

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Feb 17, 2018, 01:35 PM »
never been, but i would guess locals probably run jet pumps if it's that bad.
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Feb 17, 2018, 02:34 PM »
Seen a few jets but not as many as you would think.  Lots of low dollar stuff.  Seen some big outboards flying through there like they are in a race.  Must know the river well.  Scares me just watching it.

Offline Cool Cat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Feb 17, 2018, 09:19 PM »
To heck with all that mess.  I live on the Wabash River and do my walleye fishing in the heat of summer.  I've learned to target key areas ( sorry, not giving my secrets away) and have caught some upwards of 6 1/2 lbs.  I know there are bigger ones in there because last year a couple guys I know caught 7,8, and a 10 lb.  Most of the time I'm catching them in the 18 to 22 inch range but it's not uncommon to catch bigger ones.  I've been throwing the 4 and 5 pounders back, those are females.  Some have called me nuts, but they're my fish to do as I please.  And I don't advertise my fishing till later when there aren't any fish in those key areas.  I have a couple of spots upriver from me that I hope will produce with some night fishing.  People talk how polluted the rivers are here, they aren't any more polluted than the rivers in Ohio.  And you can thank the coal burning power plants for that pollution.  But if you want to fight the big crowds, be my guest.  I'll just bide my time and catch the fish here close to home and use the knowledge that took me years of fishing on the river to figure out.  Now if I could just figure out how to harvest a couple hundred thousand Asian carp all would be good.  And that's a conservative number. 

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Feb 18, 2018, 02:44 AM »
It can be a mess over there for sure but it's just something I have to do every year, it's in my blood!  The first time I crossed to bluegrass my uncle carried me.  Caught my limit on a zebco 33.  It's like being in the deer woods every fall, I'm going to be there.

There's nothing like the knowledge you've gained over the years Cool Cat, congrats and I hope you get some big ones this spring.  Some great spots on the local rivers but it's just not the same as Maumee.

Look forward to seeing Clarence every spring and making that wade to bluegrass.  Don't even mind the lost tackle or guys snagging my line anymore.  Look forward to picking up hand fulls of fishing line and spent jigs. I have a couple big containers I put that junk in.  Like driving by the concrete pig on old 24 right  before you get to bluegrass to see how they how they have him dressed up!

Just gotta go to Maumee in the spring, sure as the tulips come up!

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #48 on: Feb 18, 2018, 06:00 AM »
cool cat
  you dont have to give up your spots.  these are small rivers and all rivers fish the same.  just posting your pet river name is enough to cause you grief.  especially posting on a thread about another river where there is a well known run and thousands of people trying to exploit it.  unless you own a bait shop(or other fishing industry) there would be no benefit for you to even talk about it.  it doesnt take you posting your favorite bend hole, creek mouth, or current break, they will find it.  youll go to your spots and find people already there.  then if they catch fish there(your releases), there will be more people there next weekend............... ........ and the "wabash walleye fest" is born.  you want all that crap in your back yard?

understood about the tradition roeboat.  used to hit the salmon runs every fall with family when there were fish.  i think the maumee is way worse than the tippy dam drunkfest though. lol

OANN the real story

Offline crappiekilr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Feb 18, 2018, 10:10 AM »
I've seen guys motor right through those big rocks at Blue Grass, crazy.  Good place to loose a lower unit and not just a prop!
Watched a guy last year in a big Lund with a 200 on it tear the crap out of his prop and lower unit.  I was putting along in my boat and he flew by me going at least 30+.  Thought to myself good luck stupid as he flew by, guess stupid won.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Feb 18, 2018, 03:25 PM »
To heck with all that mess.  I live on the Wabash River and do my walleye fishing in the heat of summer.  I've learned to target key areas ( sorry, not giving my secrets away) and have caught some upwards of 6 1/2 lbs.  I know there are bigger ones in there because last year a couple guys I know caught 7,8, and a 10 lb.  Most of the time I'm catching them in the 18 to 22 inch range but it's not uncommon to catch bigger ones.  I've been throwing the 4 and 5 pounders back, those are females.  Some have called me nuts, but they're my fish to do as I please.  And I don't advertise my fishing till later when there aren't any fish in those key areas.  I have a couple of spots upriver from me that I hope will produce with some night fishing.  People talk how polluted the rivers are here, they aren't any more polluted than the rivers in Ohio.  And you can thank the coal burning power plants for that pollution.  But if you want to fight the big crowds, be my guest.  I'll just bide my time and catch the fish here close to home and use the knowledge that took me years of fishing on the river to figure out.  Now if I could just figure out how to harvest a couple hundred thousand Asian carp all would be good.  And that's a conservative number.

Ever get a sauger in the river?

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Feb 18, 2018, 03:58 PM »
I've seen saugeye but no sauger that I'm aware of.  Not positive I would notice the difference every time.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Feb 18, 2018, 09:01 PM »
I've seen saugeye but no sauger that I'm aware of.  Not positive I would notice the difference every time.

Just wondered. They are very different than a walleye.

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Feb 19, 2018, 12:03 PM »
I think the only place I've ever caught one was on a resevioir they were stocked in down in southern IN.  I read online that they are in Indian lake, but I think I've only caught saugeye there also.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #54 on: Feb 19, 2018, 01:04 PM »
I think Indian lake in Ohio has them

Offline MDBuckeye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Feb 20, 2018, 12:22 AM »
I've not caught sauger in Indian lake but that doesn't mean they aren't in there.  Plenty of big saugeye though for sure.  As soon as it clears some the big girls will start eating.  Catching them on stick baits in low light conditions or at night is a blast.

Even being from Ohio I've only fished the Maumee a hand full of times.  I'm not a big fan of combat fishing and it's tough for me to get up there mid week from Columbus.

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Feb 20, 2018, 03:18 AM »
Lots of sauger in the Wabash. As the summer goes on I catch way more sauger than walleye. Last year I caught 94 walleye and 81 sauger from the Wabash. Seems when the Sauger show up when the Walleye are leaving areas I fish. Peru upstream to the dams.

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Feb 20, 2018, 05:04 AM »
Hijackers lol :P

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #58 on: Feb 20, 2018, 08:22 AM »
i caught a 22",sauger/saugeye out of the maumee 20 years ago.  i have a picture somewhere of it.  i wasnt schooled on them so i cant say which it was.  i new it wasnt a walleye but thats it.  wasnt fishing for them either.  she hit a live 4" gill on bottom, next to shore, in high water.  i set the hook thinking it was the targeted fish, and it few past me and landed in the weeds behind me. lol  i actually said, out loud, holy sh__ your a walleye! ;D looking at it better i realized it wasnt an eye but one of its cousins.  if i can find the pic ill post it for an ID.

OANN the real story

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #59 on: Feb 20, 2018, 10:47 AM »
I just don't get the Maumee thing...
simply right here in our back yards almost every dam on lots of rivers hold eyes.  I fish at night and usually alone....
a limit is a limit.  find a dam and fish it.  sylvan, Huntington, salamonie, every damn along the st joe from mottville to berrien springs.  there are quality fish to be had. most is just casting and drifting ...but I love just being alone in the dark. and the quality is there also.  I have a 13 on the wall from Berrien springs.  the fish start showing up in late Jan and are at these places now.  to each their own but there are so many other places closer that just seem more enjoyable
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.