Maine > Ice Fishing Maine

Whitefish etc.IFW "Volume I Managing Maine’s Inland Fisheries into the Future"

<< < (2/15) > >>

nbourque:

--- Quote from: Bourbon and Bass on Mar 11, 2022, 12:52 PM ---There is a LOT of things they need to do better, like actually surveying lakes again. If you look through the lake survey maps, you see that most have only been recently done in the late 90's and some not since the 50's. If they aren't actually taking the time to study the waters and are instead relying on anecdotal info and 70 year old surveys, how can they effectively manage a watershed?

--- End quote ---
Lmao this is one of my biggest pet peevs I always bring up with my buddies. Those surveys are a complete joke. The newest ones are 20 years old.
How am I supposed to take any of that report seriously when the lake survey maps are as old as my grandma? And no mention of pike at all in that report. Complete JOKE.

Anomaly:

--- Quote from: nbourque on Mar 11, 2022, 01:20 PM ---Lmao this is one of my biggest pet peevs I always bring up with my buddies. Those surveys are a complete joke. The newest ones are 20 years old.
How am I supposed to take any of that report seriously when the lake survey maps are as old as my grandma? And no mention of pike at all in that report. Complete JOKE.

--- End quote ---
Actually, not that I have intimate knowledge on it all, I fish with a couple bios. Las year they did a bunch of aging studies on whitefish. I supplied a few heads. They ARE looking into how to boost populations. Money and staff are issues. They haven't had a lot of success spawning whitefish and I'm told they are very hard to live trap. I was told that when enquiring why they didn't  transplant adults into likely viable waters. Another bio told me to make noise, ie start contacting the commissioner on a regular basis. I DO know a lake that was illegally stocked in the seventies with them and DID have a self perpetuating population until recently. NOW there are clouds of smelt everywhere and the belief is the smelt a simple eating all the spawn and fry.... No small fish, anymore. Maybe one way is a similar program of catching adults and transplanting a couple hundred of them into waters with promising habitat. I dunno, but it has been done.

nbourque:

--- Quote from: clamfarmer on Mar 11, 2022, 01:55 PM --- Actually, not that I have intimate knowledge on it all, I fish with a couple bios. Las year they did a bunch of aging studies on whitefish. I supplied a few heads. They ARE looking into how to boost populations. Money and staff are issues. They haven't had a lot of success spawning whitefish and I'm told they are very hard to live trap. I was told that when enquiring why they didn't  transplant adults into likely viable waters. Another bio told me to make noise, ie start contacting the commissioner on a regular basis. I DO know a lake that was illegally stocked in the seventies with them and DID have a self perpetuating population until recently. NOW there are clouds of smelt everywhere and the belief is the smelt a simple eating all the spawn and fry.... No small fish, anymore. Maybe one way is a similar program of catching adults and transplanting a couple hundred of them into waters with promising habitat. I dunno, but it has been done.

--- End quote ---
I know nothing about whitefish so I can’t comment on that.

Anomaly:

--- Quote from: nbourque on Mar 11, 2022, 01:59 PM ---I know nothing about whitefish so I can’t comment on that.

--- End quote ---
I've just been focusing on them the past few years. They seem the most cahllngeing quarry, though I understand browns are a tough catch. I really don't like eating trout that much. I focus on food staples. Whitefish fit the challenge and table faire niche very well. Friggin t catchogue keep bothering though. They are toooo easy to catch but my dogs like em.  :whistle: :icefish:

woodchip:
What is the water quality in the Whitefish area?
What is the ideal pH of water for fish?
While ideal pH levels for fish are 7-8 (fish blood has a pH of 7.4) ²⁰, most fish can adapt to the pH level of their environment (6.0-9.0) as long as there are no dramatic fluctuations. A dramatic fluctuation is considered a shift in pH of 1.4 (up or down) ²². For saltwater fish, the pH of water should remain between 7.5 and 8.5 ⁹.
pH of Water - Environmental Measurement Systems

www.fondriest.com/environmental-measurements/param…

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version