Maine > Ice Fishing Maine

Whitefish etc.IFW "Volume I Managing Maine’s Inland Fisheries into the Future"

<< < (3/15) > >>

Fish Wayniac:

--- Quote from: nbourque on Mar 11, 2022, 01:20 PM ---Lmao this is one of my biggest pet peevs I always bring up with my buddies. Those surveys are a complete joke. The newest ones are 20 years old.
How am I supposed to take any of that report seriously when the lake survey maps are as old as my grandma? And no mention of pike at all in that report. Complete JOKE.

--- End quote ---
The survey maps are a joke ! There is many body of waters that now have Rainbows, Splake,  Etc. that don’t even list them as species. The stocking reports don’t match up with the same body of water.
As far as the Whitefish they are a ghost to me. I have never traveled to Grand lake to catch them. It is a shame they are not in Sebago Lake anymore.

nbourque:

--- Quote from: Fish Wayniac on Mar 12, 2022, 06:45 AM ---The survey maps are a joke ! There is many body of waters that now have Rainbows, Splake,  Etc. that don’t even list them as species. The stocking reports don’t match up with the same body of water.
As far as the Whitefish they are a ghost to me. I have never traveled to Grand lake to catch them. It is a shame they are not in Sebago Lake anymore.

--- End quote ---
Its a damn shame really. I wish the state would spend more time and money on USEFUL tools for us anglers and taxpayers.

jacksmelt71:
in the late 90's they stripped eggs from a few lakes that had great whitefish populations. grew them out in the hatcheries and stocked them into st. froid up here for several years. none grew to the min. length limit of 16in. and the lake they took the eggs from now has no whitefish anymore. Teampar and i fished it 2 years ago and caught a ton of stunted togue and 1 trout. this same spot 20 yrs ago had huge togue. brookies and whitefish in abundance. i dont have much faith in I.F.W. too many politicians calling the shots and tying their hands. its a damned shame! seeing how government is so out of control it doesnt suprise me.

woodchip:
jacksmelt71  You are right on about  what has been going on over the years. They state is only concerned about income not maintaining proper health of woods and waters in our state, 

swnoel:

--- Quote from: jacksmelt71 on Mar 12, 2022, 05:04 PM ---in the late 90's they stripped eggs from a few lakes that had great whitefish populations. grew them out in the hatcheries and stocked them into st. froid up here for several years. none grew to the min. length limit of 16in. and the lake they took the eggs from now has no whitefish anymore. Teampar and i fished it 2 years ago and caught a ton of stunted togue and 1 trout. this same spot 20 yrs ago had huge togue. brookies and whitefish in abundance. i dont have much faith in I.F.W. too many politicians calling the shots and tying their hands. its a damned shame! seeing how government is so out of control it doesnt suprise me.

--- End quote ---

NH did something similar with smelt in the 50-70's on Winnisquam with smelt eggs to stock Winni. They destroyed the whitefish populations on Winni  and also destroyed Black Brook smelt spawning sites on Winnisquam! I'm sure they'll still maintain what they did was successful. one border lake I fish has been losing it's fisheries for the past 20 years. I haven't caught a white perch there and most lake trout look like pickerel. One thing that has blossomed over the past decade is flocks of loons... go figure another success story they'll gloat about.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version