Author Topic: Hooks for tip ups  (Read 19657 times)

Offline cuznalfy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Location Mt.
Hooks for tip ups
« on: Dec 12, 2008, 10:31 AM »
 My question is  What size hooks should a person use on his tipups i startig to use quik strike rigs. i fish for pike with dead bait. The ? i have is what size hooks for dead and live bait? i will be hitting a lake you can use liveminnows in and, and would like to try for pike / walleyes with the live minnows and  the same rig without having to change rigs. Hope this makes sense ::) need in put from the pros? ::)

Offline WPT

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Hooks for tip ups
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2008, 04:40 PM »
I like using 1/0 or 2/0 trebles depending on the size of bait and the size of pike I expect to get in to.

Offline Pike Runner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2008, 04:54 PM »
I Make my own quick rigs and i will use 2 differnet size hooks, i generally use a smaller hook on the tail and a medium size hook in the middle. I don't like to use to large of hooks, seems like if i stay with medium to smaller hooks, have a better chance of cathing other fish than pike.

Offline esox13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2008, 05:04 PM »
I make my own quick strike as well and use a variety of sizes and colors, but mostly 2/0

Offline ChillerThriller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2008, 08:37 PM »
i use gamakatsu live bait hooks in size 2-4/0 depending on bait size. Its a short shank wide gap thin wire hook. I like then because i bury them into the dead bait and all that is poking out is the hook point. Otherwise i use excalibur trebles size 4-1/0. Sticky sharp little trebles that are also short shanked and wide gappped. They have both worked really well for me, both super strong and sharp to boot. I usually snell them on 25-50 pound flourocarbon and im good to go.

Offline cuznalfy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Location Mt.
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2008, 09:42 AM »
 Thaks for the input guys   ;D ;D

Offline Luffy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag up!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2008, 11:23 PM »
Best thing to do is take the info everyone gives you and experiment for yourself.  It really all comes down to what size northerns you have swimming around where you're at, but, more importantly, the hook size really needs to be proportional to the size bait your using.  That's just been my experience.

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2008, 01:45 PM »
I use Gamakatsu size 2 trebles.  No quick strike rigs for me.  Only time I would is if I was using huge bait.  If the pike are big enough, it will not matter IMO. 

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2008, 04:39 PM »
You guys need to use a little bit smaller hooks were not fishing for 500lb tuna! We use a single size 10 treble with the biggest pike shiners you'll find.
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline ChillerThriller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2008, 05:46 PM »
without ordering hooks from somewhere, the quality of trebles is very low here so the size is for strength. I would love to use some dollar a piece trebles for my quick strike rigs but its just as easy to get big cheap ones.

Offline BCice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 20, 2008, 07:16 AM »
 Different schools of thought on hook size. I like smaller, quality, thinner wire hooks, too. The majority of quick strike rigs I use on my tip/ups & dead rods are #8's. #10's esp. for walleye. On my slammers with one treble hook a #6 hook.
 Finesse seems to pay off on my heavily fished lakes. And it seems to me it's easier to bury a smaller diameter wire hook for a good hook set. And if I deep hook a fish I want to release, (although I do everything to prevent it) the smaller hooks do less damage IMO.
Ron

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2008, 07:44 AM »
You guys need to use a little bit smaller hooks were not fishing for 500lb tuna! We use a single size 10 treble with the biggest pike shiners you'll find.
Size 10?  A size 10 treble is tiny (less than 1/2" by 1/2").  I would be worried about the hook straightening out. 

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 20, 2008, 05:50 PM »
Size 10?  A size 10 treble is tiny (less than 1/2" by 1/2").  I would be worried about the hook straightening out. 
You've seen the pike I catch, Never once broken or straightened one. We also use 15lb mono. You have to play the fish, not pull them in like a winch.
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #13 on: Dec 20, 2008, 08:36 PM »
No ten treble is the largest I ever use, ten lb test leader.seldom a bite off and a lot of big pike.

Live to fish forced to work

Offline Luffy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag up!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2009, 11:05 PM »
Size ten is pretty tiny.  Are you waiting until these fish have almost digested the bait before setting the hook?  If so, any size hook should land them...  Or are you catch and releasing?  Just curious...

Offline doogie494

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If I told you, you'ld know!!!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 06, 2009, 03:09 PM »
I too use the size 8-10 trebles on my tip-ups, havent lost very many and will out fish the guys using bigger hooks in the same area.

If guns cause crime, then all of mine are defective!- Ted Nugent

Offline VT snotrocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • God, Guns and Guts made America free!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 07, 2009, 06:19 AM »
I too use the size 8-10 trebles on my tip-ups, haven't lost very many and will out fish the guys using bigger hooks in the same area.
I am in the process right now to switch to #4 trebles. Trying this on some homemade quick strike rigs. If I can eliminate my drag and drops I will be in business!
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.    Winston Churchill

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 10, 2009, 12:22 PM »
SIngle hooks for C&R purposes...  7/O octopus hooks with a 10" dead herring or smaller for shiners.
TEAM ALASKA

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #18 on: Jan 10, 2009, 04:28 PM »
Size ten is pretty tiny.  Are you waiting until these fish have almost digested the bait before setting the hook?  If so, any size hook should land them...  Or are you catch and releasing?  Just curious...

Strictly Catch & Release and never use larger than a #8 with 15# floro on quickstrike rigs with a 6 to 8" dead bait. In the crystal clear water in Colorado, any larger hook size and they don't bite. Steel leader and I might just as well stay home! I use the same setup with my pike rod, Slammer and tipup, and never had a pike swallow the rig, but isn't that the idea behind this rigging? It lets you set the hook prior to the pike swallowing the bait. Generally one treble is hooked and rarely both. One bite off in three seasons using this setup.

Offline Luffy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag up!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 13, 2009, 02:16 PM »
That makes a lot of sense now, especially since you are talking about crystal clear water; that makes a huge difference in your set up.  I like to change things up and try set ups that work for other guys; I'll have to let you know how it works over here..

Offline Ronbo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish hog
« Reply #20 on: Feb 16, 2009, 09:45 PM »
what if im useing a 10 inch golden shiner what would u use

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #21 on: Dec 08, 2009, 10:05 AM »
I just purchased 20 #6 and 20 #8 wide gap gamakatsu trebles. I'm going to experiment with the #6 in right behind the dorsal and the #8 in the lip of the bait. I will give some feedback after a few trips.
So many fish, so little time.

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Dec 13, 2009, 12:47 AM »
#14 Eagle Claw treble hook. What do you guys need to use such HUGE hooks for?
I use 50# Terminator Titanium leaders. I am gonna try using Flouro carbon this year.

Think about it! You are using a smaller hook, less visible to the fish, easier to sink into the sweet spot in the corner of the mouth, less metal to be banging on their teeth, faster hook sets. No need to wait for them to try to turn the bait. Less chance that they are gonna feel the hook and spit it out.

Just my opinion,,,You guys try what you think is the best set up. I know what I am gonna use.
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline kingfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • hastings hero.....liberated 2000
« Reply #23 on: Dec 13, 2009, 08:00 PM »
good info :tipup:

Offline Flightstopper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 16, 2009, 08:16 PM »
I agree with what some others have said.  You guys are using some mighty big hooks.  Here in michigan a fish would laugh at anything larger than a #8, most of the time I fish with a #10.  I have caught some mighty big fish in this great state though. :tipup:

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #25 on: Dec 17, 2009, 09:23 AM »
Well, I guess I will only use the #8's then
So many fish, so little time.

Offline MeatHunter737

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • GutPileStyle
« Reply #26 on: Dec 19, 2009, 07:11 PM »
caught my first pike through the ice last year (on accident with a jigging rapala) but I've geared up, and set my goal to catch a few pike this year on tip downs... my waters are clear due to zebra muscles, so going 12lb with 10# flouro leader...........trebl e hooks and minnows ........ but figure with this set up if I'm not at my pike lake, I can fish perch/walleye without changing setups

cant wait for this tourney to begin, theres over 1400 of us signed up for this thing.... :icefish:

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 20, 2009, 06:31 PM »
#6, #8 lazer sharps.

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #28 on: Dec 29, 2009, 10:43 AM »
#6 or #8 Gamakatsu circle hook. Always gives me a solid hookset in the corner of the mouth.

Offline Gulfman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 10, 2010, 09:34 PM »
Can/will somebody show pics of there setups?? I have just been using a treble pushed up through the smelt just behind the head and attaching my steel leader to the treble...... have had some success, but always looking for different techniques when attaching hooks to the bait.....thanks......G ulf

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.