Author Topic: Leaders for Pike  (Read 12426 times)

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
Re: Leaders for Pike
« Reply #30 on: Oct 16, 2004, 07:02 PM »
Pike can bite through most mono about 1/3 of the time. The only thing that can virtually guarantee no bite offs are wire or steel. However I have never had a pike bite through 14/6 fireline when using it as leader. I know they can still bite through it, but it's difficult for them. It has to be held very tight to cut, and only a sharp knife can do it then. So a pike can bite through it but not often.
I think I will also heed Esox's advice and try 50# fluoro this year. For him to lose only 2 pike to bite offs on it is good. I think I'll try fireline on half the tip ups, and fluoro on the others.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
« Reply #31 on: Oct 16, 2004, 08:28 PM »
Banginwal, i fish mostly Besnard, Waterhen, and Tobin for pike. I feel the right location and right bait is much more important than invisible leaders. especially at tobin I would hate to lose a single fish due to a florocarbon leader. up here when often you end up with a dozen flags in an hour not spooking fish with wire leaders isn't much of a worry. At tobin last year we landed a 21# with two mono quick strike rigs stuck in her mouth. 95 percent of pike anglers here in sask use wire.
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Oct 16, 2004, 08:36 PM »
MeadowPikeman,

Thanks for the info.  I exclusively fish wire leaders (sometimes quick strike rigs, other times single hooks), but am going to try 30lb Mr. Seaguar flurocarbon this year as many in my area are convinced their catch rate has gone up because of it.

I'll let you know how things are going around Feb.
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #33 on: Oct 16, 2004, 11:20 PM »
Man would I ever love 12 flags in a day, let alone an hour. A successful day in any of Colorado's Pike lakes through the ice is 1 pike, despite pike being numerous in many of these lakes. We usually get a flag or two at best, regardless of leader, live or dead bait, or jigging. I have no clue why. If I had that kind of action though, I would use wire because I wouldn't want the chance of one biting off. I would say with standard mono about one in three bite off, and maybe one in ten with fireline. I am going to also try the fluoro experiment this year too. Will have to see what the results are.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
« Reply #34 on: Oct 17, 2004, 01:26 PM »
if one in ten bit off the would be at least a two or three bite offs a  a day especially early and late in the ice season when the bite is hot. we have landed 30+ fish in a couple hours not to mention ones we lost that day. to cut down on fish numbers i try to stick to lakes where you can specifically target trophy fish(over 40 inches) as catching the smaller ones gets old.
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Offline Spicoli

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I fish therefore I am.
« Reply #35 on: Oct 22, 2004, 05:31 PM »
I would have to agree, i use nothing but wire leaders. I strongly believe that it would not make much of a difference where i fish.

Offline David_the_fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Happy Jigging
« Reply #36 on: Dec 12, 2004, 12:09 AM »
i like to use what "Bob_D" uses. think thats the best way yet. plus u really need along leader.

happy jigging

Offline powderburns

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #37 on: Dec 12, 2004, 08:11 PM »
Wire leader always. minumum 12 inches.

Offline Tip-Up

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #38 on: Dec 12, 2004, 09:05 PM »
My quickstrikes (that's all that is ever near the fish's mouth) are built on about 12" wire leader material. I attach that to about 30" of heavy mono "leader" that goes onto the end of my braided dacron. Two years ago I tried without the mono leader between the dacron and quickstrike and I'd say my catches did drop off abit. Last year I went back to the mono leader and I was happy with my catches.

Offline Mr.Esox

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep it hard
« Reply #39 on: Dec 13, 2004, 10:10 AM »
I've tried everything and the best for me is wire 27lb sevenstrand or 27lb singlestrand.I have never had a breakoff with either set up.With the others I have had breakoffs. If your fishing for truly large fish I wouldn't fish with anything else. We're into preserving the fishery so why use something that can breakoff in the fish.
Catch and Release.
Mr.Esox

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #40 on: Dec 13, 2004, 11:04 AM »
I've always been a wire leader guy, but I just ordered a spool of 50# fluorocarbon.  I'm excited to try it, I think some of our better pike lakes around by me get enough pressure that they spook from the wire.  My best example so far this year is I had 3 tipups with wire on them, and there were some other guys nearby set for walleye.  They kept getting pike, and I didn't have a flag.  Same depth on the edge of a shallow weedy flat, and the same minnows.  Only thing different were the leaders. 

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #41 on: Dec 14, 2004, 07:02 AM »
Got  my spool of 50lb Triplefish Fluorocarbon yesterday.  Great stuff.  Bob - what kind of knots do you use to tie your leaders with this heavy line???  I played around and ended up inventing my own knot - palomar was hard to tie, clinch was too bulky. 

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #42 on: Dec 14, 2004, 04:39 PM »
I just use an improved clinch knot. I use something like a screw driver in the bend of the hook to hold that end and use a pair of pliars to tighten the knot with the tag end of the line.

---ThinIce---

« Reply #43 on: Dec 17, 2004, 02:00 PM »
Fishinut,
The biggest reason that I use a split shot on my leaders is to keep the bait where I put it, especially when fishing deep water.  Take notice the next time you put a minnow down a hole what direction it tries to swim.  Just my 2 cents.
I understand exactally what you are saying anytime I take the weight off the leader the bait ends up tangled in to the weeds.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.