Author Topic: Tip-up Preferences  (Read 26648 times)

Offline Reel Wet Ride

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ft. Myers, Florida!!! WHAT?
Tip-up Preferences
« on: Dec 08, 2005, 02:42 PM »
This is going to my first year really targeting pike through the ice and I'm curious if you guys prefer one style tip up over the others. I was thinking about picking up some of the round ones but I'm worried that they might be hard to get off the hole / ice. What are your guys' thoughts on this? What are some of the pros and cons of the different styles?

Jason
Falling through the ice means driving home naked!

Offline Auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chicks dig blaze orange!
Re: Tip-up Preferences
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2005, 02:46 PM »
I use the round one's when I think the holes are going to freeze over faster than I'm willing to get off my butt and check them, maybe starting around 10-15 degrees and colder.  Just kick 'em when they stick.  Other than that I like the wooden beaver dam style.  They're just more appealing to me for some reason.
High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement .

Seattle Seven Member #000003

PIKEGUY

« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2005, 02:56 PM »
I'm with Auger on this one. Unless it's real cold I much prefer the stick style. They're just easier to handle IMO.

Offline Icephishnphreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I come from the land of Lizards
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2005, 02:58 PM »
Polar tip ups hands down to me are the best

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2005, 02:59 PM »
I have never had a problem with the round ones freezing down.  I have a mixture of tip ups, cause I always have to try a new one if it goes on sale.  The bramble (beaver dam) style are the easiest to pack.  I personally don't feel that any are superior, but I do like the ones with the telescoping flags.  

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2005, 10:53 PM »
I actually like perfer to use regular ice rods or full length rods to tip-ups.
I like that when a fish strikes there is some give, reduces the hooks from pulling out, I also like to feel them fight all the way up. ;D

WW

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2005, 06:14 AM »
I prefer the Polar styles too. It allows me to see from a distance if the fish is running and how fast. Our ice here in CT doesn't get as thick as some of you see around the rest of the country. Stealth is important to us. If the flag pops and doesn't go very far, I take my time and move QUIETLY to the hols so as not to spook the pike. It also lets you see when the flag has been tripped by big bait. I have learned to sit back and wait a couple of minutes before resetting the flag. More often than not, something has spooked the bait and caused him to trip the flag. Obviously, if the tip up is spinning like crazy, all bets are off and I haul a$$ to the hole ;D

Offline northdease

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2005, 02:58 PM »
i agree with blaine. being able to see what the reel is doing when aproaching the tip up is great,

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2005, 04:48 PM »
My favs are just the plain black tipups.

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline Madmaxx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2005, 10:01 PM »
Life is to short to use plastic.

Offline Reel Wet Ride

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2005, 10:07 AM »
Maxx,
You think if I told one of these Western chicks that she'd agree?
I'll try it anyway!

MikeThePike

« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2005, 02:33 PM »
Life is to short to use plastic.

For a few $$$ a piece they do their job well. I like to use them for perch and smaller fish. For pike and musky I use Heritage Lakers with Polar bases instead of the wooden X bases that they come with. Keeps the hole from freezing up and getting snow blown in.

Offline pikeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 20, 2005, 06:42 PM »
I definitely prefer the polars. Theres no wind flags ,plus you can see how the fish is running right away

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 20, 2005, 08:36 PM »
I like my Polars very very much, they never wind flag, and you can see the fish running. I am very pleased.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 20, 2005, 08:43 PM »
i use heritage lakers . the deep snow around here makes them a necessity to see come feb/mar. also very durable.

Offline AD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 20, 2005, 09:06 PM »
Frabill bigfoot classic,   its like a polar, except biger, better and with a long extendable flag pole,    you cant miss these from a mile away.     http://www.frabill.com/tipups.html :thumbsup:
It doesn't matter if you didn't catch anything as long as you had fun.

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 21, 2005, 07:08 PM »
I love my polars.  I purchased foam hole covers so I can be lazy and not scoop my holes.  I love being able to watch the fish run when you are coming up to the holes.  They are also very easy to pick up when the day is over.

Offline AD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 22, 2005, 07:27 AM »
I tend not to cover my holes.  The nice thing about the frabills I use is I can walk up to a tip up, grab it with one hand and not set it off, pick it up and scoop the hole out with the other hand holding the skimmer.      Also I will jig the tip-up up and down a few times and have found that this induces a strike sometimes after Im walking away.      Could jsut be luck or coincidance but it just seems to work soemtimes.     
It doesn't matter if you didn't catch anything as long as you had fun.

Offline Reel Wet Ride

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 22, 2005, 09:26 AM »
FYI to those who read this thread, I ended up buying 4 10" round frabill tip-ups. I've strung them up with about 75 yds of 65lb (can't remember the dam* name of the line) and finished them off with a sturdy barrel swivel. I'm going to tie up 5 or 6 45lb flourocarbon leaders. Quick strike rigs with size 6 trebles. I'm also going to finish the leader with a snap. Not a snap swivel, just a snap. that way if my leader gets beat up, or broken off I can just un-snap it and snap on a new one instead of trying to re-tie a set up on the ice. Figure with a 3' leader the little bit of extra hardware won't make a huge difference. Once I get out there and catch a fish or two I'll post it the pike board.
Thanks to all who posted,
RWR

Offline J_MAKI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 09, 2006, 11:13 PM »
My vote is for polar tip-ups.  I like the round ones too but prefer the polar tip ups. I have a frabill round tip up and the spring weakend so much by the second season that it wouldn't hardly hold the heavy plastic flag up. So I just put a cloth flag on and it works fine now. Never had a problem with the polars and some are close to  20 yrs old. Although there was that one time when me and masterangler were out for lakers and it was so cold the flags wouldn't spring up  ;D ;D ;D

Jeremy

Offline fishslayer37

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 10, 2006, 08:53 PM »
I preferr Beaver Dams ive had cars run over them and not have them split in half,  with others i have had them brake in half or brake in some way. 
A good finesse bass fisherman, makes a good walleye fisherman

Offline Sir Landsalot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 11, 2006, 10:20 AM »
I too love the Polars!  Smooth running, light to carry and cool to watch when they're runnin'!  But....I usually set up some small orange R/C cones next to them to keep the snowmobiles off  >:(

Offline J_MAKI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 11, 2006, 02:47 PM »
I too love the Polars!  Smooth running, light to carry and cool to watch when they're runnin'!  But....I usually set up some small orange R/C cones next to them to keep the snowmobiles off  >:(

Thats a good idea. One time when my dad and I were fishing the CO came to check us and he ran right over one of our tip-ups. He just drove staight to us without even looking where he was going. The guy never even said sorry >:( >:(

Jeremy 

Offline Reel Wet Ride

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 11, 2006, 05:54 PM »
New Frabil Tip-ups:  $65.00
65lb Tip-up Line:     $12.00
45lb Flouro Leader:   $12.00
Hooks & Hardware:    $ 6.00

Getting pumped about your 1st year tip-up fishing for pike and not being able to go because its 50 DEGREES in January: PRICELESS!

Offline BowSlayerVT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 11, 2006, 07:12 PM »
Heritage Lakers hands down is the Cadillac of all tips_ups. Their ruggedness in extreme weather is unmatched by ANY other tip-up for the price. Completely windproof. Where I fish its hardcore weather and I've owned almost all the tip-ups you've mention and experienced all kinds of problems. Heritage are tough. On -30 days when your holes are making 1" of ice an hour and you to chip major ice they'll take a beating. 50 mile per hour winds no problem. I had a few or those plastic ones on year and had to put them up because I got sick of chasing them down the ice, because the wind was pulling them out of the wholes and blowing them across the lake. If you don't use them your missing out.

Offline Rangerclay

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My fishin' buddies!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 17, 2006, 11:21 AM »
I have both the polars and the wooden X tip-ups.  I have never had much success with the polars and I find them difficult to set up.  Also of you get any blowing snow the will bet buried and the flags freeze in the down position.

The wooden X style has NEVER EVER let me down.  I own one Heritage Laker (before the made them with plastic reels) and they are extremely rugged. 

I would pick uo a couple of each and see what you prefer.

Ranger :tipup:

Offline Smeltecca

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Never mess with another man's hole.
« Reply #26 on: Jan 24, 2006, 10:55 AM »
Nothing beats a set of Jack Traps, worth every penny.
  Ice Fishermen Walk on Water!

Offline JeBa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 24, 2006, 12:09 PM »
I have Heritage lakers, Nor'Easters and a few Worth Pop-ups.
The Nor'easters are a quality Heritage knock off but I prefer the Heritage Laker trip wire & flag set up. I even like the plastic spools - no metal for my fingers to freeze to. Just be careful when setting the drag star nut - make sure the spool nut is tight against it or the spool could fall off.

Jeff

Offline pikecrazy25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 24, 2006, 08:16 PM »
i prefere artic fisherman or beaverdam tip ups but
$36.00 is alot to pay for a tip up i found that both the polar and heritage laker traps work good to they all seem to be great tip ups if you dont like plastic you can always make wooden frames for your polars. i have also had a problem with the wing nut comming off the drag on my heritage lakers so i took a pair of pliars and worked on the last thread so it cant come off.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 18, 2006, 07:05 AM »
I've got heritage lakers, best tip ups I've ever owned.  No wind trips even under some extreme conditions, but during periods of freezing rain, the spring on the flags will get enough ice on them so if they do trip the flag may only come up to a half mast position, you have to watch for that.

Any of the lay down tip ups, no way.  Too easy to not see them and have them run over by a wheeler os snowmobile, plus if the wind is blowing the snow it can cover them over.  Get one with the reels that are in the water all the time, the reels out of the water are great until you get your first runner, then the wet line on the reel will freeze and won't trip.

My lakers are 10 years old now and need some work, I made the mistake of drying them out nightly in front of the wood stove and a couple of them have split the wood down where the reel is pinned into the wood, this summer I'm going to replace the upright wood portion of them.  Only thing I wish is that the reel bolt went clear through the wood and was bolted instead of just being pressed partially through.
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.