Author Topic: SO WHO HERE HAS CAUGHT A BLUE PIKE BEFORE??  (Read 11648 times)

BryanC

SO WHO HERE HAS CAUGHT A BLUE PIKE BEFORE??
« on: Feb 16, 2004, 10:37 PM »
has anyone ver caught a blue pike before?

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
Re: SO WHO HERE HAS CAUGHT A BLUE PIKE BEFORE??
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2004, 01:25 PM »
I have caught one with eyes of a walleye!  Caught it in Witter Lake in central Wisconsin.  Very odd fish indeed! :o
TEAM ALASKA

Offline BuckShotJon

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Gimpy Fisher
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2004, 01:37 PM »
I thought the blue pike was extinct?

Jon
Check Out The Hunting Shanty

Check Out The Softer Side Of The Shanty At www.Myfishfinder.com

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2004, 03:44 PM »
Extinct?  Holy Shrimp! I caught the equal to the Dodo bird! ;D  I believe they are, (if I'm right), kinda like a black squirrel, blue perch, or a blue lobster.  Freaks of nature.  Something like a "phase" or even a mutation.  My sister used to own a cottage on this lake outside Wautoma Wisconsin many years back.  The lake supported at least a couple of them.  She had caught one a year before I did.  It was yearrrrrrs ago so if I can find a pic, I will post it! -Barleydog
TEAM ALASKA

Offline mark mercer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TEAM MERCER!!!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2004, 05:01 PM »
a blue lobster isnt really a freak of nature it tastes the same as a regular lobster and u can find them quite commonly only reason i know this is because i am a student at the culinary institute of america and i just learned this
hahahahaha

just kidding guys

Offline BuckShotJon

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Gimpy Fisher
« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2004, 06:20 PM »
Looks like they went extinct in 1970.

http://www.bagheera.com/inthewild/ext_bluepike.htm

I remember a story a year or so ago around Buffalo at one of the colleges there. They had a man that had a frozen Blue Pike in his freezer since 1970 something that was caught from Lake Erie. He kept it all those years in his freezer. Then he found out they were looking for DNA on this fish and turned it in. I guess the reason is the college would like to study the DNA to possibly clone the fish or make a hybrid similiar to what has happened with pike and musky to make a tiger musky.

Jon

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 17, 2004, 11:27 PM »
buckshotjon,  So what would this fish that we caught in the 80's be considered?  Do you have a picture of the extinct blue pike?  I see the article stated that billions of pounds were caught commercially, someone from around 1962 should have a photo eh?  The fish we had caught was really different!  They had marbled eyes like a walleye?  The skin was pale blue which at the time made me think of some sort of albinoism or skin pigment problem?  No nuke plants in the area so I'm out of guesses ???
TEAM ALASKA

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #7 on: Feb 18, 2004, 07:10 AM »
Barleydog- Did the fish you caught look like any of these?

http://www.nativefish.org/BluePike/Gallery/

These have been caught in recent years, so maybe there are some left.

-Zach

Offline BuckShotJon

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Gimpy Fisher
« Reply #8 on: Feb 18, 2004, 07:42 AM »
Barley,

Your description sounds like the blue pike. Zach put up a good link and it sounds like the fish you caught.

Should be nice to see a large return of those fish if there are some out there.

The picture on the website of the dead blue pike that was frozen is the one I think has Lake Erie ties to it.

Jon

grumpymoe

« Reply #9 on: Feb 18, 2004, 10:16 AM »
the fish pictured is actually known as blue pickerel, or blue walleye. they are truly walleye in every aspect, except coloration. they were thought to be extinct, but periodically pop up in catches. cant remember the last catch, but wasn't that long ago. i remember my father talking about catching them in nw ontario when he was younger. nice coloration!!! grumpymoe   this fish was very predominant in lake erie!!

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 18, 2004, 12:46 PM »
ChenBassHead & Zach,  Neat pics, but not the same fish. ???  The fish we had caught were in fact northern pike in every way except coloration and eyes! 
I have caught fish in coastal Washington and B.C. with very similar coloration variations.  Ling cod and cabezon are two preditory fish that take on different "hues" and even muscle coloration variations.  Biologists claim that some of these fish have adapted to a large diet of crab that turns thier skin and flesh BLUE!!!! I think there's a picture around the house I can post. :)  I had caught several of these fish, and they're a real eye opener! :o  When cleaned, thier flesh is a nice blue color which has a great flavor that turns white when cooked. ;D  Kinda off the topic but.....
Perhaps, after further review, the fish we had caught in Wisconsin were influenced by thier own diet?  I doubt it, due to the walleye "eye" that they sported.  Still searching for answers.  It was probably a freak and not an actual identified species, (I had no clue there was such a beast that roamed the great lakes until this topic was brought up!)
TEAM ALASKA

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #11 on: Feb 18, 2004, 05:59 PM »
the fish pictured is actually known as blue pickerel, or blue walleye.

Actually, this fish was indeed called the blue pike...walleyes are also known as walleyed pike in some places. And yes, the blue pike was indeed a walleye. It was a subspecies...the other subspecies being the yellow, or golden, walleye. This, of course, is the walleye we have all some to know.

-Zach

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #12 on: Feb 18, 2004, 06:33 PM »
Full grown albino snaping turtles, thats it. No blue lobsterpikeeyes. ::)
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #13 on: Feb 18, 2004, 07:10 PM »
In-Fisherman had a picture of a white pike that Doug Stange caught. Not sure if it was a true albino, but it was a beautiful fish. It was in the same artical as that mutated glowing walleye.

-Zach

acsacmboy

« Reply #14 on: Feb 19, 2004, 05:59 PM »
supposely theres a lake in canada where there is both kinds, with the blue pike more common. they are still out there but they are VERY RARE.

like tryin to find a spoon in rg's jig box. there maybe one he bought by accident when he didnt know better and thought it was a new type of jig. so its at the bottom of it, or he already melted it down to make some jigs. ;D just jokin around.

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #15 on: Feb 19, 2004, 06:52 PM »
I imagine that thjey would be more mad if you DIDN'T keep it. If it's a normal walleye, then big deal. But if it's a blue, then they'll want the DNA.

-Zach

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take what you want from what i post.
« Reply #16 on: Feb 20, 2004, 12:05 PM »
Well if ever caught keep alive in some sort of set up contact the local athoritys and have them figure out if they want it or not...This way they can still gett he DNA samples without actually killling the fish and maybe even breed it with another one caught or hybrids for that matter. Who knows but still keeping it alive would be the best idea. As DNA can be taken alive or dead but keepign such a Rare Fish alive would be the best bet. Tight lines and just my 2 cents!
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #17 on: Feb 20, 2004, 07:24 PM »
How are you going to do that?  ???

BryanC

« Reply #18 on: Feb 23, 2004, 08:34 AM »
U ARE ALL WRONG, I AM ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT A NORTHERN PIKE THAT IS BLUE. I BELIVE U CAN ONLY FIND THEM IN BACK LAKES NEAR MARTEN RIVER. WHO CARES ABOUT THE STUPID PICKERAL. THE NORTHERNS I AM TALKING ABOUT ARE ACTUALLY BLUE.

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #19 on: Feb 23, 2004, 02:33 PM »
Okay okay, calm down man. No, I have never caught, or seen a blue PIKE. Northern PIKE that is :D ;)

-Zach

BryanC

« Reply #20 on: Feb 23, 2004, 10:31 PM »
CHECK THIS OUT GUYS, JUST LOOKING FOR A PIC
http://www.martenriverlodge.com/pike.html

Offline BuckShotJon

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Gimpy Fisher
« Reply #21 on: Feb 24, 2004, 01:42 PM »
Interesting articles, boild down to the smae name two seperate fish. Cool on both accounts.

Jon

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #22 on: Feb 24, 2004, 03:47 PM »
Thats exactly what I already said about the silver pike. But it's cool though.

-Zach

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #23 on: Feb 24, 2004, 04:21 PM »
Great articles!  I had talked to my sister concerning the pike we had caught years back, and got straightened out!  She claims that WDNR performed net surveys on the lake back in the 80's.  WDNR had caught several of the "blue pike" that I had posted, and claim they are an albinos???  I must admit!  These fish were blueish in color, and by no means whiteish/silver?  The one sign that is not a mystery was the eye.  They claim it's one way to determine the pike's albino trait, go figure?  I guess I should have known... 
TEAM ALASKA

Offline reubenpa

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Mar 17, 2004, 04:18 PM »
how did a Walleye become known as a walleyed pike????  A walleye is in the perch family and the pike are in the pike fam with the musky and pickerel......  just curois??????

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #25 on: Sep 18, 2004, 02:46 PM »
There are also yellow pike too. An infisherman (not sure which one) has al linder's brother in a picture after catching a yellow pike.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Schrades

« Reply #26 on: Oct 25, 2004, 01:43 PM »
Blue Pike, are actually blue walleyes. They are not extinct, they are rare however. They are extinct in Lake Erie though. I can find them in my home state of WI in some rivers such as the WIsconsin and menominee. They can also be found in Canada

Offline David_the_fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Happy Jigging
« Reply #27 on: Dec 12, 2004, 12:02 AM »
man that is crazi!!!! when i saw the title i was thinking u ppl where out of ur minds but wow that is wasome. :tipup: :tipup:

Offline d_balm24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 07, 2005, 09:31 AM »
My cousin caught one from the samll boat harbor in Buff. a couple of years ago. It was about 30 inches. Neat looking

Offline Pike an Eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Dead Sea 04"
« Reply #29 on: Jan 07, 2005, 09:37 AM »
D Balm,

Any chance there were any photo's ?     

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.