Author Topic: Early ice fishing!!  (Read 3527 times)

Offline icemanwoody

• Team IceShanty Regular
Early ice fishing!!
« on: Oct 24, 2012, 07:37 PM »
With november nearing ;D Anyone got a high elevation trip planned or want to get something planned. High uinta lakes, fairview lakes and few others should start freezing up very soon, I have property up by powder mt. that has a good little trout pond on it that should freeze up around  nov to the first of dec.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
Re: Early ice fishing!!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2012, 09:40 PM »
Nothing planned here, other than chasin crappie around at the view in the boat till ice up. I would be down for a trip to the high country, only fished up that way once and it was in the summer. It would be great to actually use my ice rods on the ice instead of in the boat  ;D works great for finessing them slabs with 4lb test and the new tungstens I got. Let me know what you might be thinkin
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline icemanwoody

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 24, 2012, 11:17 PM »
Well ill definantally be heading up to the uintas in the next few weeks to start checking for ice. I found 4" to 5" of ice on almost all the lakes along mirror lake highway last year on 11/13/11 just given you guys an invite if anyone wants to hit some early ice and drink some cold ones.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 2012, 11:10 AM »
Ok the cold ones convinced me  ;) im in
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline icemanwoody

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2012, 02:50 PM »
I just checked snotel for trial lake and the temps have been low 30's all week and 18 right now ;D i wouldnt be suprised if there is not ice forming up there as we speek, Ill give it a week or so if the temps stay cold up there we will have to plan an outing to go take a drive in search of some ice!

Nothing planned here, other than chasin crappie around at the view in the boat till ice up. I would be down for a trip to the high country, only fished up that way once and it was in the summer. It would be great to actually use my ice rods on the ice instead of in the boat  ;D works great for finessing them slabs with 4lb test and the new tungstens I got. Let me know what you might be thinkin
How have the crappie been hitting? I have been hitting the view after work till about 4 am and been doin pretty good by the docks for little perch and mud cats but no crappie, but i have only been fishing off the bank no boat here >:( and the toon has a hole in the bladder

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Oct 25, 2012, 03:47 PM »
SWEEEEET!!!! :thumbsup: boy 18deg is chilly. The crappie have been biting in the narrows and on the docks, but its been hard to stay over the bigger ones ive been marking. Dang wind. Average size has been 9-10in. Did pull a few that were in the 11-12in. in the narrows. On the docks theres all kinds of perch and crappie hanging out but nothing bigger than 7-8in. and the crappie are suspended under the perch. Been letting the kids have some fun with those ones and they can run all over the docks, it takes alittle more time, finess and NO wind down in the narrows. You say you've been fishin till 4am after work, do you work graves? Im sure i can make some space in the boat next week if you want to go up, but i work days and go up after work around 230-3 and fish till dark or a little later depending on how the bite is. Sorry to here about the bladder, that sucks  :%$#!:
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline fishonone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • lets get it on
« Reply #6 on: Oct 25, 2012, 08:25 PM »
i am down for the high country and a few cold ones  :thumbsup:

Offline icemanwoody

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 26, 2012, 02:52 AM »
You say you've been fishin till 4am after work, do you work graves?
I work swings at hill air force base 3:30 to 1:00 Daddy day care ;D
i am down for the high country and a few cold ones  :thumbsup:
If you wanna go you are welcome too will plan a weekend to get together and go punch some holes, and if you wanna come along for some of the scoutin trips to check thicknesses let me know ill be starting around first weekend of nov.  I'm sure it wont be long a few more weeks, its always nice to have a few guys to go especially early ice anything can happen.

Offline fishonone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • lets get it on
« Reply #8 on: Oct 26, 2012, 07:44 AM »
not a prob me and muskyon46 are good friends and let anyone of us know when you want to do this  :icefish: :thumbsup:

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Oct 26, 2012, 08:42 AM »
if you wanna come along for some of the scoutin trips to check thicknesses let me know ill be starting around first weekend of nov.  I'm sure it wont be long a few more weeks, its always nice to have a few guys to go especially early ice anything can happen.

I'll be headin to st. george to take care of some family business on the 7-9 nov, but should be open to any trip after that. Thats to bad your on swings for us being able to hook up during the week, guess we"ll have to figure something on the off fridays  ;)  I do understand the day care aspect of it though. I know alot of people in your same boat, that day care stuff is pricey $$$ its good to have that option
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Duke307

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Oct 26, 2012, 07:07 PM »
I'm hoping to hit up some lakes in the Uintas  from the WY side.

Offline fishonone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • lets get it on
« Reply #11 on: Oct 26, 2012, 08:08 PM »
if you go soon let us know cuz i know i am going  :cookoo: thanks good luck

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Oct 26, 2012, 11:04 PM »

Let's get these lakes froze up  ;D
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline icemanwoody

• Team IceShanty Regular
RI'e: Early ice fishing!!
« Reply #13 on: Oct 27, 2012, 01:20 AM »
I have fished alot of lakes in the uintas  from both wyoming and utah side, open water and on ice been goin up there since i was a kid it is always a good time.I'll be checkin all the lakes along mirror lake highway from kamas to evanston and im sure ill make a trip up to china meadows and check west marsh.

Offline icemanwoody

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 27, 2012, 01:25 AM »
if you go soon let us know cuz i know i am going  :cookoo: thanks good luck
I am goin crazy to all i can think about is the ice! ill keep checkin temps up at trial if it stays cold up i want to try goin the weekend of the 10th of nov so if you want to go that weekend, let me know will drive up there and drill some holes.

Offline k2muskie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Oct 28, 2012, 10:29 AM »
Mama Nature permitting we plan on taking an early trip up North and throughout this season... Can't wait for ice-up.  With these colder temps...longer nights hopefully waters like PV being low will get a good early ice base formed.  Lower water = faster freeze up...should be an interesting season for sure.   ;) ;)

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Oct 29, 2012, 09:28 PM »
Hey guys, good to be back on the board!

I actually saw a report this morning on BFT that some crazy dudes were jigging thru the ice on some high country lake. Not sure they mentioned the exact location, but it sounded like the ice was scary thin (no surprise for this early).

Won't be long.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Oct 30, 2012, 07:36 AM »
Hey guys, good to be back on the board!

I actually saw a report this morning on BFT that some crazy dudes were jigging thru the ice on some high country lake. Not sure they mentioned the exact location, but it sounded like the ice was scary thin (no surprise for this early).

Won't be long.

Hey whats up dizzy good to see you back, ya that ice has got to very thin. Pretty early but i know how that guys is feelin  :wacko: cant wait to get on the hard deck

Lower water = faster freeze up...

X2 as low as all these bodies of water are this year the freeze shouldnt be to far out
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline fishonone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • lets get it on
« Reply #18 on: Nov 06, 2012, 08:33 PM »
has any one herd about the high country yet come on ice

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.