Author Topic: 2012 Flaming Gorge Burbot Bash -- Jan 25 to 28 -- Pics and PK Prizes!  (Read 3304 times)

Offline Pklures

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • PK Lures -- Catching Fish Redefined!
Hi folks.  Wanted to remind all the good folks in Utah of the 2012 Burbot Bash, Jan 25th through 28th!  Post your burbot pics on this thread from the tournament. 

These ugly, tasty dogs were illegally stocked, and are killng the local lakers and smallmouth.  We need to get rid of as many of them as we can before they spawn and continue to erode the fishery in the Gorge.  The Utah DWR and the Wyoming Fish and Game folks have teamed up with four local Chambers of Commerce and a whack of sponsors to hook 'em and cook 'em!  PK Lures has donated prize packs that will be awarded at the end of the tournament, and if you catch a tagged fish you can pick up $2500.00.  If you're going fishing anyway, why not head to the Gorge?  If you have PK's in your box, try our Red Dot Glow 1/4 and 3/8 oz PK Spoons and Flutterish -- Firetiger Glow works almost as well.  Couple links, and a pick of a huge Saskatchewan burbot caught in December on our gear to whet your appetite -- bit of drawn butter and you've got more "poor man's lobster" than you can eat.

Good luck, and POST YOUR PICS!

http://wildlife.utah.gov/dwr/news/42-utah-wildlife-news/701-burbot-bash-should-help-flaming-gorge.html

http://www.daggettcounty.org/index.aspx?nid=370

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
Thanks PK :thumbsup: my box sure could use a few of them sweet lures. That burbot is a HOG!!!!! Could eat a few dinners off that bad boy
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline mrosas

• IceShanty Rookie
thats a monster!!!!!!
Rip a lip!!!!!

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
this one took 3rd largest 33.9in 7lbs caught by my buddy

Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Wow, that is pretty cool!

Are those things good to eat? Because they sure aren't much to look at.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
DELICIOUS!! boiled or breaded and fried
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline auger in

• IceShanty Rookie
If they are getting that big, catch all you want, it won't get rid of them.

Nets are needed now.

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
Nets won't get rid of them.  Flaming Gorge is 91 miles long.

Fishrmn
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
That would be one helll of a net  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline auger in

• IceShanty Rookie
If nets won't work, don't expect rods and reels to make any difference at all.

The nets should be deployed under the ice in areas where burbot are normally caught.  Gill nets, just leave them there till ice out.
Not like we care about saving the fish, so a net full of bones would be a good thing

Offline liv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Regular
Those gill nets would be loaded with desirable species as well (ie. lake trout, rainbows,kokes, small mouth) The Ling are there to stay in Flaming  gorge now, there is no way to get rid of them in that large of a body of water.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
Those gill nets would be loaded with desirable species as well (ie. lake trout, rainbows,kokes, small mouth) The Ling are there to stay in Flaming  gorge now, there is no way to get rid of them in that large of a body of water.

X2 on that no need in killing everything else off to get rid of some burbot. Just hold derbies and the the six rods do the trick. Not to mention the fishermen that hit it thru the times when no derbies are being held, which is quite a few by the way that place looked  last time we were up there scounting around. It was litterally a highway of traffic coming and going all night. They will never be able to rid the gorge of them so all we can do as fishermen that luv that place is to just try and keep them in check. To be honest with you they are very tasty. Had them boiled dipped in lemon/butter for the 1st time at the closing ceremony and it was delicious. Beat my beer batter to hell
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Mac daddy

• Team IceShanty Regular

Unfortunatly I think your right, we are stuck with the ling.  In a lake this size how can you eliminate one species without further damaging our prized lakers,kokes,bows ect.....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.