Author Topic: Talk me out of it  (Read 2413 times)

Offline LotsToLearn

• IceShanty Rookie
Talk me out of it
« on: Dec 06, 2018, 01:47 AM »
Im looking to buy a new jigging rod for panfish/perch. My eyes are somewhat set on a 27 in ultra light widow maker by 13 fishing. Im aware that it is expensive and probably unnecessary, but if there are better options, then talk me out of my choice!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: Talk me out of it
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2018, 01:59 AM »
buy it and tell us all about it...whoops.  ;)
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2018, 03:12 AM »
Skip 13 Fishing and get a TUCR. There’s no talking out of a TUCR. I’d get the Bullwhip or the Fusion depending on if you want to see the bite (Bullwhip) or feel the bite (Fusion). Enjoy your $100+ rod  :tipup:

FWIW, I own a Bullwhip and two Precision Noodle’s.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2018, 03:32 AM »
Talk you out of it ? Ok...I'll try 

Get yourself a couple of $20 rods like HT Ice Blues or Schooley Arctic Blues...nice little light rods... and put on a $10 Ice Strong titanium indicator. You get about 4 rods for the price of one that are equal to what you are considering. Mine are in the 36" to 48" range, but the shorter rods will work just as well. I use the #30 (.014) for 3mm jigs and under and #40 (.016) for 4mm. They do have a #70 (.020) that is made for anything above that, like dead sticking if that's your thing. They are bendable, which I have done (pic). I also tied mine on. Or you can use the shrink sleeve...not recommended by them or me. Either way, they are sensitive. Good luck in your decision. 

So, did I talk you out of it?  ;)

"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Reinert

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2018, 04:47 AM »
Talk you out of it ? Ok...I'll try 

Get yourself a couple of $20 rods like HT Ice Blues or Schooley Arctic Blues...nice little light rods... and put on a $10 Ice Strong titanium indicator. You get about 4 rods for the price of one that are equal to what you are considering. Mine are in the 36" to 48" range, but the shorter rods will work just as well. I use the #30 (.014) for 3mm jigs and under and #40 (.016) for 4mm. They do have a #70 (.020) that is made for anything above that, like dead sticking if that's your thing. They are bendable, which I have done (pic). I also tied mine on. Or you can use the shrink sleeve...not recommended by them or me. Either way, they are sensitive. Good luck in your decision. 

So, did I talk you out of it?  ;)

ice blues are awesome for the price.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2018, 05:03 AM »
ice blues are awesome for the price.

Yup...I'm more about spending less on a "decent" rod and more on the indicators and jigs... "I can't set the hook if I don't see the bite" is kind of my motto. And I'm just not comfortable using the rod...no matter the sensitivity... as my indicator. I get that a lot of them have sensitive tips, but I just can't justify the cost that most of them carry. jmo.

Offline 1750outfiterss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2018, 06:36 AM »

??? ??? Why not buy More cheaper rods and rig them with different baits
for different conditions .I hate to retie when the fish are on fire.Usually have
2 rods with the same kind of lures rigged up when I figure out what they want.
 :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:
Aquatic Species Relocation Engineer 
I only fish twice a week
Once for 3 and
once for four

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2018, 07:38 AM »
from my experience, about 75% of these threads end up in poster buying anyhow. lol

i am with the ones that say more rods for same $.  there are more important things involved in putting fish on ice than the stick in your hand. 
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline dsupercat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2018, 07:51 AM »
Skip 13 Fishing and get a TUCR. There’s no talking out of a TUCR. I’d get the Bullwhip or the Fusion depending on if you want to see the bite (Bullwhip) or feel the bite (Fusion). Enjoy your $100+ rod  :tipup:

FWIW, I own a Bullwhip and two Precision Noodle’s.

X2

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2018, 08:15 AM »
.  there are more important things involved in putting fish on ice than the stick in your hand.

X2-- Like SKILLS!
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2018, 10:09 AM »
Make your own custom rod. Much cheaper and rewarding.
I also agree on the blues rods hard to beat for the money.
The frabill 27" quick tip is another good inexpensive rod.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline sledneck22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 06, 2018, 10:15 AM »
I've really been happy with my Meat sticks over the years other than the small eyelets freezing up. Which now there's an alternative called the Dead Meat stick. I haven't tried that yet but will pick one up sometime this year. The meat sticks range from $30-$35.
I find the meat stick's tip sensitive enough to detect the lightest crappie upbite.
To fish or not to fish; there is no question.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 06, 2018, 10:15 AM »
I have 2 widow makers both about 38 inch, one has the yellow tip and one doesn't.  Love them both, but especially the one without the flat tip. I prefer to feel the bite.

Offline HardIce32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 06, 2018, 10:52 AM »
 I have a friend won’t spend more than $30 on a rod,  says it’s ridiculous to spend that much, he has better things to spend his money on.  This same friend goes out to a steakhouse for dinner every Friday night and spends between $70-100.  I’ll buy a $25 pizza on Friday night and I have no problem spending $70-100 on a nice rod.   Personal preference.

Offline jascpa099

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • You don't win friends with salad.
« Reply #14 on: Dec 06, 2018, 10:54 AM »
I've always loved by Power Noodle from Thorn Bros. 
God is great; beer is good, and people are crazy!

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 06, 2018, 11:02 AM »
I have a friend won’t spend more than $30 on a rod,  says it’s ridiculous to spend that much, he has better things to spend his money on.  This same friend goes out to a steakhouse for dinner every Friday night and spends between $70-100.  I’ll buy a $25 pizza on Friday night and I have no problem spending $70-100 on a nice rod.   Personal preference.
I like this. I'm the pizza guy as well. ha.

Offline jerryfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 06, 2018, 11:08 AM »
I second or third on getting HT Ice Blue. Save money for jigs, bait or nicer reel with good drag.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Dec 06, 2018, 11:12 AM »
I like this. I'm the pizza guy as well. ha.

Right...less on rods means MORE pizza and steak. I can get with that.

Offline Northern_MN Outdoorsan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 06, 2018, 11:15 AM »
I just got a 13 Tickle Stick 27" UL rod for my new panfish setup this year. I am pairing it with a Frabill Straight Line 371 reel. I used the ML tickle stick last year for perch, northerns, and walleyes and loved it so much I got the UL rod this year.

I say get what you like that works for your fishing style. If you've got the money to spend you won't be disappointed with the widow maker.

Offline Ramp 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 06, 2018, 11:19 AM »
Get a 20 $ rod 28"-32" & put a good spring bobber on it , its all you need & you'll catch just as much or more than a 100$ ice rod .

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 06, 2018, 12:21 PM »
The Beaver Dam glass noodle rod has better components than a HT ice blue, larger wire guides, hook keeper and a cork reel seat handle.
www.fishusa.com/product/Beaver-Dam-Custom-Glass-Noodle-Ice-Spinning-Rod

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 06, 2018, 12:23 PM »
If it's going to be your main jigging rod then go ahead and spend the money.  If it's something you'll use only occasionally...then maybe go the cheaper route.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline LotsToLearn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 06, 2018, 03:41 PM »

??? ??? Why not buy More cheaper rods and rig them with different baits
for different conditions .I hate to retie when the fish are on fire.Usually have
2 rods with the same kind of lures rigged up when I figure out what they want.

This is a good point actually.
 :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 06, 2018, 03:48 PM »
Sometimes it’s just nice to have a light well balanced fine sensitive rod in your hands. That’s why all I use are HT ice blues. A couple 48s and couple 36s. Heated and removed the tip top guides and glued on larger ones.
Spray painted them flat black including the blue ugly but super comfy grip. I wouldn’t believe it if it wasn’t me but I have a Thorn Bros I think 32” sweet pea perch sweet something whatever that I bought years ago just sitting behind the bar. Didn’t know what I was missing until I splurged ten bucks on my first ice blue. I personally prefer that action for my fishing. And do like my long rods. More like real fishing. Never got a bite with topwater plugs though and too hard to hit the hole fly fishing.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Dec 06, 2018, 04:19 PM »
Sometimes it’s just nice to have a light well balanced fine sensitive rod in your hands. That’s why all I use are HT ice blues. A couple 48s and couple 36s. Heated and removed the tip top guides and glued on larger ones.
Spray painted them flat black including the blue ugly but super comfy grip. I wouldn’t believe it if it wasn’t me but I have a Thorn Bros I think 32” sweet pea perch sweet something whatever that I bought years ago just sitting behind the bar. Didn’t know what I was missing until I splurged ten bucks on my first ice blue. I personally prefer that action for my fishing. And do like my long rods. More like real fishing. Never got a bite with topwater plugs though and too hard to hit the hole fly fishing.

With you on this one jiignut...2 -48's and 2 - 36" Schooley Arctic Blues as well...not much different than the HT's. Love them all. Hadn't thought much about changing top guide...really no issues for me. But you never know.

Offline Joe in T.C.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 06, 2018, 04:58 PM »
I have been using these rods for years for panfish:

https://www.pilgrimvillagefishing.com/cadillac-elite/

They work great and for $15 they are very budget friendly.

Worth a look for sure  :thumbsup:

Good Luck all  :tipup:

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 06, 2018, 05:23 PM »
buy it, I need someone to tell me to buy a one man flip over when I have a very nice two man sitting in my garage

Offline Reinert

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 06, 2018, 05:27 PM »
buy it, I need someone to tell me to buy a one man flip over when I have a very nice two man sitting in my garage
well if you only have one shack....

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #28 on: Dec 06, 2018, 09:41 PM »
I claim no skills to my fishing...it's all luck and equipment.  ;)

because if you follow or look at me...I'm usually not on fish...and am searching...searching. ..and get lucky to be on top of fish.  The equipment get's the fish... ;D
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #29 on: Dec 06, 2018, 09:47 PM »
Im not familiar with the rod in question, but I cast another vote for a TUCR if you happen to be on the fence.  I’m waiting for my 4th TUCR to arrive now, but I can’t honestly say I’ve caught MORE fish since I started using them.

I just really, REALLY like the blanks on the precision noodle and it is such a fun rod to fish with.

Spend what you are comfortable with.  Some of the best ice fishermen in the country use 14” Schooley rod & reel combos.  It’s not the rod, it’s the fisherman.

With that said, if you have the means and really want it, go for it! There’s nothing wrong with spending the money you’ve earned in any way you see fit.  Just make sure you protect your stuff when you get it.

My TUCRods remain entirely in an otter outdoors hard-sided rod case when not in use.  I treat them a little nicer than I used to treat my ice blues when I first got into the game haha.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.