Author Topic: The new In-line Reels....my take  (Read 20034 times)

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
Re: The new In-line Reels....my take
« Reply #60 on: Nov 03, 2012, 08:38 AM »
I think they can be used for deep water easier since they have a free spool feature im guessing they will be able to replace spinning reels but I wont be throwing mine out lol
A bad day of fishin is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Gamedog1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Are these reels better than spincast?
« Reply #61 on: Nov 03, 2012, 08:58 AM »
and you did say "spincast" not spinning reel, My mistake.
We are where we are, cause that's where we choose to be.

Offline bpiatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #62 on: Nov 03, 2012, 09:03 AM »
Please set me straight about the EC reel and/or the 6061, but they seem as though they are a lot of reel (size) to put on an ice rod.  Is it safe to say also that these reels would be more likely something used for "deeper" water and not shallow water panfish for instance?  For the later, the simpler and smaller Spooler or Betty seem more suited and priced in the case of the 6061.  If the EC proves out and I like it after getting my hands on one next year, then I could see myself getting one for deeper water situations.

Tight Lines and Hard Water

They are not much bigger than ul size spinning reels and almost weigh the same. They should work in the shallow and deep equally well. Most spinning reels have a gear ratio of 5:1, the new fly reels have a ratio of 3:1 but have a larger spool. I'm thinking the retrieve rate should be almost the same.

Offline sunnie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #63 on: Nov 03, 2012, 10:52 AM »
just recieved my two ec reels that i ordered from the tip i got on this site before it got deleted  so thx to ii believe to quigley257  :bow:
they seem great for $15 a pc,and it will get the ball rolling for the rest of the industry or retailers  as there should be a lot of improvements and even greater products in the future because of these first semi proto type reels. now to spool them up and order bait and wait for ice. ;D :tipup: :icefish:

Offline Todd_NE

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing beats a good day working!
« Reply #65 on: Nov 03, 2012, 04:00 PM »
Got mine as well. I also find them great for $15. For fun, I have one in the freezer to see how feels after a couple hours. I'm not about to say it feel like the quality of my spinning reels, but after feeling out the spooler, black bettery, frabills 1:1 and their 241. I'm very happy with my purchase. That not even factoring in that I got it cheaper than I could have for any of them.

Additionally anyone saying that they felt them and they feel flimsy is full of crap. It take a substantial amount of push to make any part of these flex.

6061s got a lot to live up to, to make me think a reel 3 times the price of this one's retail is worth it.

Offline anderson_dc

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #66 on: Nov 03, 2012, 04:25 PM »
Did you press on the bottom plastic piece of the housing?  If the reel is going to break it's going to be there as the reel is heavier than the rod and that is the part which is closest to the ground.  Again, not a deal breaker just an observation.  I also don't care for how much space is between the spool and the adjacent portion of the reel housing.

For $15 it's a real nice buy.  For $30 it's a decent reel.  Obviously it needs time on the ice to see how it holds up, but so far so good IMO.

Offline getn jiggy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #67 on: Nov 03, 2012, 04:51 PM »
just recieved my two ec reels that i ordered from the tip i got on this site before it got deleted  so thx to ii believe to quigley257  :bow:
they seem great for $15 a pc,and it will get the ball rolling for the rest of the industry or retailers  as there should be a lot of improvements and even greater products in the future because of these first semi proto type reels. now to spool them up and order bait and wait for ice. ;D :tipup: :icefish:

X2 I'd say this was a bargain and I'm very satisfied, I think these are a look at things to come, glad I was on this site to take advantage.
45/70 Govt./ The only Govt. to be trusted.

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #68 on: Nov 03, 2012, 05:12 PM »
Did you press on the bottom plastic piece of the housing?  If the reel is going to break it's going to be there as the reel is heavier than the rod and that is the part which is closest to the ground.  Again, not a deal breaker just an observation.  I also don't care for how much space is between the spool and the adjacent portion of the reel housing.

For $15 it's a real nice buy.  For $30 it's a decent reel.  Obviously it needs time on the ice to see how it holds up, but so far so good IMO.

Yes I did since it appears like it would be the weakest point and I don't see any need to be concerned unless your throwing it across the lake. (things happen :P)

Offline shake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Nov 03, 2012, 05:31 PM »
thanks for the reviews reb....

just received my EC today....obviously the true test will be on the ice, but for $15 i'm pretty pumped.  i have a frabill straight line, and i love the aluminum build and balance that has compared to the EC...but the freespool button and the gear ratio advantage is nice.  so, for now it's onto getting everything ready while waiting for ICE.

Offline eepks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Nov 03, 2012, 07:39 PM »
Better at what?

Feel...presentation... ..ease of use

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Nov 06, 2012, 05:24 AM »
You know, the site where if you don't have an Otter, Marcum, Strikemaster, Polaris, St Croix  or Tundra you ain't squat. It's a special place ya know.  :whistle: ;D

I've heard rumors of this before... but there's other sites?? LOL

Offline spikes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #72 on: Nov 06, 2012, 07:43 AM »
I have been looking for the EC online and can not find it and out local stores don't carry them.   If anyone know let me know thanks.

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #73 on: Nov 06, 2012, 08:15 AM »
I have been looking for the EC online and can not find it and out local stores don't carry them.   If anyone know let me know thanks.

I haven't seen anyone say they've seen it for sale online yet

Offline Todd_NE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Nov 06, 2012, 09:49 AM »
Feel...presentation.....ease of use

Feel - could be taken a few ways. I think it matches balance to a spinning reel or any reel under your rod. For most, it's a much different reel to use though so it takes thought of how to reel, how to use, how to set a drag. Feel sensitivity wise isn't any different.

Presentation - huge plus for reducing jig spin.  It's more difficult for some to get used to holding a rod with a fly reel and no stem. It's maybe harder to hold a rod like a pencil also for fine presentation.  Any reel like a spinning or spincast can add to line twist issues - spinning jig in the water.

Ease of use - this is the toughest. I fly fish so I'm somewhat used to a fly reel. Most wouldn't be. They are easy to use yet you can't hold the handle if you expect the drag to work. You also can't be touching the outer spool where it spins.

Even with 2 or 3:1 fly reels just don't pick up much line with a reel handle turn.

I like them in shallow water for sight fishing. Other than that they are a pain to get your jig back down, you have to be careful with the drag/spool edge, they are a little funkier to hold.

My best advice is to take a pre-spooled $30 Prestige Plus or that type of reel and just add 50' of 2# Pline or whatever you use. Try it and see what you think.

To me, the fly reel has one advantage and one only - reducing spin.  However, that can be a HUGE advantage.

Offline threewack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Nov 06, 2012, 10:03 AM »
I see on the osprey tackle website they have the same type as eagleclaw it looks to be an iport so buy in big bulk ;D

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #76 on: Nov 06, 2012, 10:57 AM »
I see on the osprey tackle website they have the same type as eagleclaw it looks to be an iport so buy in big bulk ;D

Couldn't find it on their website. However, wouldn't be surprised if I missed it. Looks like a 6 yro designed their website. What a headache.

Offline shake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Nov 06, 2012, 11:02 AM »
Couldn't find it on their website. However, wouldn't be surprised if I missed it. Looks like a 6 yro designed their website. What a headache.

lol, my thoughts exactly.....and I couldn't find it either.

Offline addicted to ice fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Feeding my addiction one lake at a time
« Reply #78 on: Nov 06, 2012, 01:14 PM »
Finally got to pick up an EC in my hands and give it a once over.  I did not buy one, yet, have not made up my mind, but here are the pros, and cons in my opinion.

Cons
Made of composite material, how durable will it be?
Extended reel foot could be extended more jmo.
That was it for the cons that I observed in store.  It will be interesting to see, and hear how they perform on ice.

Pros
Smooth, and well designed.
Free spool feature is a big plus, along with the star drag.
Overall very innovative, and probably a preview of fly type reels of the future.  I would say it is worth the money.     

Offline getn jiggy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #79 on: Nov 06, 2012, 01:45 PM »
A guy on another fishing website put one in the freezer to test it, passed with flying colors. So he then submerged it in Tupperware filled with
water and froze it into a block of ice, and it still worked after breaking it out.  ??? ;D ???
45/70 Govt./ The only Govt. to be trusted.

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #80 on: Nov 06, 2012, 09:34 PM »
I've used fly-reels / heavy rod on a above-ice rig for years.
The classic 3M graphite fly-reel (modified for large spool) was and still is my standard. Tape it to a rod, hold the reel in hand and your fingers wrapped around the spool is the finest drag there is. The reels talked about with a long neck take away from the hand drag w/ a regular fly reel.
The EC is (in my mind) is a RAFT reel. Google it and see the prices (from China). $85+ each. The EC @ $15 to $29 is beyond reproach/price wise. Drag, clicker, free-spool!!! (Smelting @ 70ft will never be the same)... You should be running thru the pucker-brush for this one.
The 241@$59 is not in the same league. My 241 has a high spot on the input-gear which puts a heavy bump on reeling in.  Drag is barely acceptable. On a scale of 1-10 it's a 2.
You can't palm the spool for drag, poor quality, high price. Going back soon.
The EC looks to be a Shimano-From-Japan and the 241 a Yugo from China.
Of course this is my opinion only and might change when we are all walking on water.
Cheers:
Damn Yankee
Leave Some For Seed

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #81 on: Nov 07, 2012, 12:09 AM »
The classic 3M graphite fly-reel (modified for large spool) was and still is my standard. Tape it to a rod, hold the reel in hand and your fingers wrapped around the spool is the finest drag there is. The reels talked about with a long neck take away from the hand drag w/ a regular fly reel.
The EC is (in my mind) is a RAFT reel. Google it and see the prices (from China). $85+ each. The EC @ $15 to $29 is beyond reproach/price wise. Drag, clicker, free-spool!!! (Smelting @ 70ft will never be the same)... You should be running thru the pucker-brush for this one.
The 241@$59 is not in the same league. My 241 has a high spot on the input-gear which puts a heavy bump on reeling in.  Drag is barely acceptable. On a scale of 1-10 it's a 2.
Of course this is my opinion only and might change when we are all walking on water.
Cheers:
Damn Yankee

EC is definitely a raft reel. It's been reported several times and looks like they found a chinese manufacturer to put those out. Same thing as 13 Fishing is doing, just out of aluminum and for a ton more $$$.

Offline ButchT

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #82 on: Nov 07, 2012, 09:34 AM »
Cabela's is marketing an inline they call ZT.  Does anybody know anything about it?  Right now it is backorderable.  I have one on order and will let you know what I think of it when it gets here. 
They say it has a large arbor and a wide drag range with teflon drag washers,They do not say what, if any the retrieve ratio is.

Offline Getthenet

• IceShanty Rookie
  • It's all a part o' fishin, son.
« Reply #83 on: Nov 07, 2012, 11:31 AM »
Not to butt in here but my favorite in line reel is the 5" swish rod made in Wisconsin, got two and 3, eight inchers and just love 'em.
Got any Maggots?

Offline Ekruger01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Nov 07, 2012, 11:50 AM »
A guy on another fishing website put one in the freezer to test it, passed with flying colors. So he then submerged it in Tupperware filled with
water and froze it into a block of ice, and it still worked after breaking it out.  ??? ;D ???

this was me....i have since lubed them with hot sauce, and still have the issue with the free spool button not working properly on one of them but I can deal with it as is. i just wish we had some ice now!

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #85 on: Nov 08, 2012, 12:47 AM »
Cabela's is marketing an inline they call ZT.  Does anybody know anything about it?  Right now it is backorderable.  I have one on order and will let you know what I think of it when it gets here. 
They say it has a large arbor and a wide drag range with teflon drag washers,They do not say what, if any the retrieve ratio is.

Nothing special. Normal short abor... basically a fly reel for ice fishing.

Great for tightlining style of ice fishing, which has you watching your line instead of relying on tip-ups and bobbers, this reel feeds the line off in a straight line, resulting in zero twist. This provides a more natural presentation, allowing you to better observe and feel a bite. The lightweight graphite frame and spool with a large arbor are designed to reduce line coils. A wide drag range and TeflonŽ drag washers give you more control. Can be converted from left-hand to right-hand retrieve.

http://www.cabelas.com/rods-reels-tip-ups-cabelas-zt-ice-reel-1.shtml

Offline SINX53

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #86 on: Nov 11, 2012, 08:23 PM »
Picked up the Frabill 101 reel on Friday. I matched it with a Frabill Ice Hunter 22" Quick Tip. I backed it with 50 yds of 25 lb Woodstock Nylon Tip Up Line then some Northland Bionic 10 lb Walleye Braid and finished off with 125 yds of clear Northland Bionic Ice. Still have about 3/8" to reel lip.

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #87 on: Nov 12, 2012, 07:05 AM »
Cheers:
Damn Yankee

I have used the EC twice now and it is just great to use. Sorry for all of you who didn't get one.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #88 on: Dec 16, 2012, 10:09 PM »
this was me....i have since lubed them with hot sauce, and still have the issue with the free spool button not working properly on one of them but I can deal with it as is. i just wish we had some ice now!

I came across these on another site. Large reel. I don't have one but looks interesting.

Look up swishrod for info.

jbird68

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #89 on: Mar 02, 2013, 05:53 PM »
Well, now that the season is almost over, I was wondering what all you guys thought of the in-lines? How did they hold up? Perform? Problems? Hope you all had/ continue to have a great time out on the ice. Anxious to hear about the pros and cons! Thanks, tight lines.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.