New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Silver lake fishing  (Read 115769 times)

Offline Nolan

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Silver lake fishing
« Reply #240 on: Jan 24, 2018, 06:40 PM »
Hey guys, my dad just got me some tip ups down from the raftors and was wondering if someone could give me tips on hooks, bait, line and extra tips. How far do u keep the minnows down and how do u hook them?

Offline hrdcore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #241 on: Jan 24, 2018, 08:20 PM »

Offline IceFever74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #242 on: Jan 24, 2018, 11:11 PM »
Hey guys, my dad just got me some tip ups down from the raftors and was wondering if someone could give me tips on hooks, bait, line and extra tips. How far do u keep the minnows down and how do u hook them?

For pike at Silver I spool the tip up with 25lb ice braid with about a 3’ fluorocarbon leader. 12-15lb fluoro. On the end put a quick strike rig. The rig consists of a 8” wire leader with a #6 or #4 single treble hook. I have had good luck with gold shiners but alot of peeps use suckers. Hook them in the back right behind the dorsal fin. Add a split shot just above the wire leader to keep the shiner from swimming too high/fast. I fish mostly the south end. Good to be in the weeds which disappear deeper than about 12’ of water. Don’t be afraid to stay shallow (less than 10’). Position the shiner so it is only a few feet below the ice. Pike cruise atop the weeds. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #243 on: Jan 25, 2018, 11:26 AM »
Don't be afraid to try the deep water drop-off's along the East shore.  I have caught a lot of  pike on tip-ups along the East shore about 100' to 150' out.  The water gets deep rather quickly, but the pike cruise the top of the drop in front of the shore weeds. 

Offline Theval

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #244 on: Jan 25, 2018, 04:32 PM »
Handfull of 8-9 inch perch couple 10s. Bigger ones on raps. Couple crappie from same holes. Fun day on the ice.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #245 on: Jan 25, 2018, 07:42 PM »
Handfull of 8-9 inch perch couple 10s. Bigger ones on raps. Couple crappie from same holes. Fun day on the ice.
Goes to figure why they hit jigging raps, three of the larger perch I cleaned Sunday had 1" long rock bass in them.  That is why when I changed to perch eyes in the afternoon I started catching the 9" perch.   I saved some eyes and will start with them first thing the next time out and hopefully get more keepers.

Offline shadowcaster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #246 on: Jan 25, 2018, 10:47 PM »
Today was my second day out on my own and I've been learning a lot thanks to the help of those on this forum.  I really appreciate help and advice, and as an experienced open water and fly fisherman, it's a little different to be on this side of the learning curve.  I just want to say thanks, particularly to Perch Chacer for helping me to learn the ropes.  It made my day a lot better than it would have been otherwise.
Got 7 perch today about 9 inches on average.  Caught one dink and missed double the amount I landed or more.  The biggest lesson I learned today was that setting the hook is a lot different than any other type of fishing and the takes are extremely subtle.  Anyhow, my 4 kids loved the fish fry we had.  My oldest son is about the pickiest eater you'll ever meet and he asked for seconds.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #247 on: Jan 26, 2018, 01:12 PM »
Today was my second day out on my own and I've been learning a lot thanks to the help of those on this forum.  I really appreciate help and advice, and as an experienced open water and fly fisherman, it's a little different to be on this side of the learning curve.  I just want to say thanks, particularly to Perch Chacer for helping me to learn the ropes.  It made my day a lot better than it would have been otherwise.
Got 7 perch today about 9 inches on average.  Caught one dink and missed double the amount I landed or more.  The biggest lesson I learned today was that setting the hook is a lot different than any other type of fishing and the takes are extremely subtle.  Anyhow, my 4 kids loved the fish fry we had.  My oldest son is about the pickiest eater you'll ever meet and he asked for seconds.

Your post made my day.   I am glad my advise helped you.   I always try to help anyone that asks.  Silver is my home port.

Offline STEALTH MODE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #248 on: Jan 26, 2018, 06:31 PM »
10 inch clear 2 inch white mid lake today. Some perch

Offline STEALTH MODE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #249 on: Jan 26, 2018, 06:39 PM »
Had a perch spit out what looked like a little northern

Offline nino61881

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #250 on: Jan 26, 2018, 06:43 PM »
Looking to head to Silver lake in the am. I haven't been in a few years now. Where can we park and get minnows?

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #251 on: Jan 26, 2018, 07:39 PM »
Looking to head to Silver lake in the am. I haven't been in a few years now. Where can we park and get minnows?
You can get bait at Rob's Sunoco Gas Station on Main Street (Rt 39) Castile, NY they have a tackle / bait shop in the rear.  They have spikes, mousees, pike bait - shinners and fat heads minnows. 1-585-493-2810.  Open at 7am.  Where to park will determine what you want the minnows for.  The South end has gills, perch and pike and there is  a State  launch with a large parking lot and a Kiosk for $6 on Southwest corner.  Mack's restaurant parking is free on Southeast corner.  You can also reach deep water by walking straight down the lake from either of these access points.

Offline nino61881

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #252 on: Jan 26, 2018, 07:48 PM »
You can get bait at Rob's Sunoco Gas Station on Main Street (Rt 39) Castile, NY they have a tackle / bait shop in the rear.  They have spikes, mousees, pike bait - shinners and fat heads minnows. 1-585-493-2810.  Open at 7am.  Where to park will determine what you want the minnows for.  The South end has gills, perch and pike and there is  a State  launch with a large parking lot and a Kiosk for $6 on Southwest corner.  Mack's restaurant parking is free on Southeast corner.  You can also reach deep water by walking straight down the lake from either of these access points.
Great information!! We are going to target the perch

Offline Riddlefiddle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #253 on: Jan 27, 2018, 09:59 PM »
If you want to catch bigger fish then go too  conesus or honeyoe lakes. Silver gave up the ghost a long time ago.
Resistance to tyranny is obedience to God.

Offline IceIceBubba06

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #254 on: Jan 28, 2018, 08:25 AM »
Shore ice still OK at north end? Never fished that end and want to give it try today. Thanks in advance.

Offline TimmyWill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #255 on: Jan 28, 2018, 08:34 AM »
Shore ice at the north end was fine yesterday. Lots of water on the surface. But still plenty of ice. Move around till you find a hot pod of perch and it’s great action for 10-15 minutes.

Offline IceIceBubba06

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #256 on: Jan 28, 2018, 09:28 AM »
It was a toss up between case or silver. Fished case last Sunday. Lots of action but all dinks.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #257 on: Jan 28, 2018, 08:18 PM »
Fished Silver today from 8am-5:30pm.  The shore ice was still  good and solid with no edge water showing.  Ice where I fished was measured at 12" a few inches less then last Sat.  The surface got a little soft today with the 40's temp, but when I left the temp had dropped and the surface was re-freezing. 

The bite was  tough today, left the lake with (15) 8-9" perch and caught at least another 15 shorts along with some short crappies.  Bigger perch are nice, but I'll take 8-9" perch any day.  There will be 9-10" perch here next year.  Got to fish for these perch with finesse, if you don't they are far and few between.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #258 on: Jan 28, 2018, 09:15 PM »
If you want to catch bigger fish then go too  conesus or honeyoe lakes. Silver gave up the ghost a long time ago.
First hand info???   What size perch you catching at Conesus? 

Offline Welshans32

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #259 on: Jan 29, 2018, 09:41 AM »
Fished Silver today from 8am-5:30pm.  The shore ice was still  good and solid with no edge water showing.  Ice where I fished was measured at 12" a few inches less then last Sat.  The surface got a little soft today with the 40's temp, but when I left the temp had dropped and the surface was re-freezing. 

The bite was  tough today, left the lake with (15) 8-9" perch and caught at least another 15 shorts along with some short crappies.  Bigger perch are nice, but I'll take 8-9" perch any day.  There will be 9-10" perch here next year.  Got to fish for these perch with finesse, if you don't they are far and few between.
good to hear, I've only ever got dinks there

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #260 on: Feb 04, 2018, 10:45 PM »
Got to keep this thread going for the new guys before they can open the reports thread.

Fished Sat. out in the deep wateer from 8:00 to 5:00, started in 30 FOW but worked around till I found the deeper area.  Left the lake with 20, 8-9" perch, and threw back at least that many shorts.  Took a while to figure out what jig, color and bait they wanted.  Caught most on a white "Genz" bug with a constant jig movement and either mousses or perch eyes.  The bite was so light it just moved the spring bobber and you had to concentrate or you didn't even know they hit.  My LC graph showed schools of fish going through on and off all day.  Ice was measured at 12" with only a few patched of snow on top.  Shore ice was snow covered and solid.  Wind was strong at times.

Offline STEALTH MODE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #261 on: Feb 06, 2018, 01:12 PM »
35 keepers Sunday 180 in 4 times out some over 10 inch

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #262 on: Feb 08, 2018, 08:13 AM »
Looking to fish into the evening at Silver this Saturday - from everything I found on the DEC site it looks like the state launch is open until 11PM.  Has anyone had any troubles parking there after dark? 

Blue snow is better than yellow snow

Offline IceFever74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #263 on: Feb 08, 2018, 08:04 PM »
In my experience most people are usually cleared out of there by dark or slightly after. Not sure what the rules are.

Offline SizeMatters

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #264 on: Feb 09, 2018, 04:44 AM »
Looking to fish into the evening at Silver this Saturday - from everything I found on the DEC site it looks like the state launch is open until 11PM.  Has anyone had any troubles parking there after dark?
No picnics or rowdy parties after 11.  Fishing access, pay $6, you'll be good.  Call the office at Letchworth for clarification or spend your $6 at Mack's on a burger/coffee and park there for free.  Access the same ice.

Offline eddie the k

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #265 on: Feb 09, 2018, 07:07 AM »
I fish silver regularly, I don't fish the state launch much but I have many times in the past. When did they start charging during ice season?  Are we paying an attendant?

Offline STEALTH MODE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #266 on: Feb 09, 2018, 02:16 PM »
Never seen anyone there .its a kiosk .pay and get a pass

Offline pikemaster0607

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • when in doubt go ice fishing
« Reply #267 on: Feb 09, 2018, 07:27 PM »
Pay and get a pass or they will give you a ticket
ice fishing for life

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #268 on: Feb 09, 2018, 09:09 PM »
Never seen anyone there .its a kiosk .pay and get a pass
Hang the day pass the machine gives you in your window.   It's been two years now.  They plow daily and the bathrooms are heated, your $6 at work.   Must be our tax dollars go else where.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #269 on: Feb 11, 2018, 05:46 PM »
PLEASE NOTE:  Saturday I went down to Standpipe Rd but found the limited parking full.  The problem I saw was there were a couple of trucks parked straight in on the right side of the dead end road, just pass the orange fence.  That vacant area is a lawn for the cottages across the road.  Parking on lawns happened a few years ago that is why there is a orange fence up at the intersection.  The vacant space to the right down the dead end road is not a parking area.  We will lose all parking on Standpipe Rd if this erratic parking keeps up.  It may not be Ice Shanty fishermen but I wanted to get the word out.  Respect the cottage owners property. Thanks guys.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.