Author Topic: DIY Auto Bite Hookset for rod/reel using mousetrap as trigger  (Read 2498 times)

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Posted this on my home state(In.), thought I would add it here for other states to see.

tested worked great, probably will add a ziptie to the eyelet instead of running trigger thru rod eyelet. Will add a float to line to put slack in the line allowing the fish to run off before triggering and a narrow wood swivel pc to keep fish from dragging pole down hole.

Here's a video on another style using wire trigger, about 8min in it shows where to add a float to put slack in line.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQMWd01Cm3I

Took about 20 min to make, the 2nd holder is for my shorter rods.

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: DIY Auto Bite Hookset for rod/reel using mousetrap as trigger
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2018, 09:51 AM »
my luck, my tip would get bit off, but interesting

Offline mi500

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2018, 03:14 PM »
how loud is the snap with the mouse trap cut?  loud enough to hear from the shanty?

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2018, 05:36 PM »
how loud is the snap with the mouse trap cut?  loud enough to hear from the shanty?
that would all depend upon how far away the shanty is from the trap
 and how insulated it is, I would think
A friend of mine made this about 3 years ago. called it the slapper

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2018, 05:42 PM »
Too bad for me...all illegal in Minnesota.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2018, 08:23 PM »
Didn't realize a hookset tipup would be illegal anywhere I'm in Indiana so I checked some of Minn rules. It looks like you can only have one pole, is that right? Wow, sure glad I don't live in Minn., they have some tight rules.

Was reading at another forum and one guy said it didn't make since. He said in Minn you can use a downrigger, which essentially works just like auto hookset. I guess allot of political laws don't make sense.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2018, 08:25 PM »
Too bad for me...all illegal in Minnesota.

Forgot to ask, is it also illegal on a privately owned pond on your own property or just public land.

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2018, 08:44 PM »
my luck, my tip would get bit off, but interesting

Not tried it fishing only tested it. Tried taking movies of it to see if the trap jaw hits the tip of the rod and my camera is not fast enough to catch when its triggers. I may add a ziptie to the eye so the tip will get out of the way faster. If you go buy one they cost around $25-40 so for the cost of about $1 you make this version, a little more if you don't have scrap wood laying around.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.