Author Topic: tough gill bite?  (Read 2732 times)

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
tough gill bite?
« on: Jan 13, 2009, 03:59 PM »
posted this somewhere else, but figured was better here.

A couple weeks ago i was on a finicky gill bite.  They would nibble and spit . 

when you encounter this again, try this.

as soon as you notice any change on your rod tip indicating some sort of a hit, dip the rod tip 1/2", pay attention real close to the line when you do this, if it goes slack, the fish has the jig in its mouth and you need to SET!!!  This all takes about 1/4 of a second. try it ;)  I discovered this little tidbit when watching gills on the aqua vu nibbling and spitting my jig.  when you drop the rod tip, they suck the jig all the way in and you have to set before they can spit it all the way back out.

Offline sbfPA_Mike

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: tough gill bite?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2009, 05:21 AM »
Nice tip big red. Bass fishermen do the same thing, it's just much more obvious. It's all in the slack line, WHAM!!  ;D

Mike
I don't like it here, so I will probably be here for a while.........
 @ www.iceshanty.com  @ www.myfishfinder.com
 @ www.myhuntingforum.com[/si

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2009, 08:17 AM »
Nice tip big red. Bass fishermen do the same thing, it's just much more obvious. It's all in the slack line, WHAM!!  ;D

Mike

yeah, we do it when flipping jigs into the deep millfoil beds up here when the bass are biting tough

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2009, 08:23 AM »
It's called line watching,people been doing it for years,no spring bobber,golden stren line with fluro short leader is best for that style of fishing.

Offline Quack_Attack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2009, 07:29 AM »
It's called line watching,people been doing it for years,no spring bobber,golden stren line with fluro short leader is best for that style of fishing.

Yep, my dad fished that way over 50 years ago, after a brief stint with spring bobbers I switched back. We call it "tightlining" in my area. It's become an automatic response for me to drop the rod tip after the tap or line movement before setting the hook.

"If a man is standing in the middle of a forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him...is he still wrong?"
- - George Carlin

Offline Dull Hooks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2009, 09:36 AM »
Also noticed the past 2 days of a tough bite. I'd do the tip drop or raise it up a few inches and they'd jump on it. And during both outings the rod nor spring bobber indicated a strike but the line would move towards the side of the hole when they sucked it in , started to swim off with it..

Line watching is what I always did and do before spring bobbers and the occasional use of a camera. Line coiling in the hole or swimming off to the side.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.